Renting Tux onboard QM2?

INSIDERS CABIN

First time on QM2 TA. Website says (rental)  tuxes are available on board. I cannot find any ordering information. Has anyone had experience with this service? ( Just trying to lighten the luggage on long trip to different places!)

They are available on-board in the gift shop. I can’t help you with cost for rental. You can also purchase bow tie, cuff links, etc. I would go early to make sure they have the correct size.

I last rented a tux on QM2 in 2018. They supplied jacket, shirt and trousers (which they helpfully adjusted for my height).  However, they did not supply a bow tie, which I had to purchase. So, assuming things haven't changed, it would be an idea to bring  your own bow tie - at least it won't take up much room!  

The cost last summer (on QV) was I think $85 a night... Cunard comp'd the charges after United did not deliver my luggage until three quarters into the cruise.  And yes, you need to supply the tie and shoes.  I am just glad I flew in a jacket and tie and black shoes....  They had a pretty decent range of sizes, too.  BTW they do sell bow ties in the shop, too.  

Posted (edited)

Consider looking at M&S if departing from Southampton - you can click and collect online, their prices are very reasonable (£150 should do the trick). Or eBay as your contribution to "green" recycling. One person I met bought a historic handmade tweed jacket which really should be in a museum, for under £40. It was worth at least 20 times that. After all this surely won't be your last Cunard sailing.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Consider looking at M&S if departing from Southampton - you can click and collect online, their prices are very reasonable (£150 should do the trick). Or eBay as your contribution to "green" recycling. One person I met bought a historic handmade tweed jacket which really should be in a museum, for under £40. It was worth at least 20 times that. After all this surely won't be your last Cunard sailing.

Or Next, who offer a Tux online (inc trousers, but no shirt) for £99, ie, not much more than Cunards rental fee.   You will need to be in UK for 3-4 days before for delivery, and they offer all sizes (though do get shortages in certain times of year around University ball season).    I'd note the Next Tux is distinct enough you'll spot the other Cunard customers also wearing them on formal night (it's rather popular).

• Like 3

Please please please don’t leave it until you get on board the ship to rent a tuxedo.

There is limited supply, sizes and styles may not be to your taste.

It’s relatively inexpensive to purchase a suit either online or perhaps even from a charity shop depending on where you live.

Please please please Spend a little bit of money (and it shouldn’t be more than £150/$200) to purchase a suit that fits well that you are comfortable in and which you can accommodate with a proper dinner shirt, bowtie and formal shoes. 

The risk, hassle and cost of renting on board plus the likelihood you are going to feel uncomfortable in your dinner suit is just not worth it; plan ahead, and if you can get a good value dinner suit you can donate it at your arrival port or post it home

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, INSIDERS CABIN said:

Thank you all. Your replies have been most helpful.

Could you elaborate on your plans?

I think most are assuming you are boarding at Southampton due to your post about transport from Red Hook.

How long will you be in Southampton before boarding?

Are you spending time in London before travelling to Southampton?

Knowing that we can advise options for ordering/trying/buying pre boarding.

Thank you everyone. Comments were sufficiently thorough to make us reconsider. Decision is to just pack his own tux- and go with third large case for the wardrobe ( mostly mine). Tux and shirts went to cleaners today. Tux can always attend Chic Nights for first two cruises on Celebrity.

(thought it would be a process like HAL in the 90s when we submitted sizes, and reserved tuxes for college aged sons.  tuxes were delivered to their stateroom upon embarkation,  and left in garment bags in cabin at end of cruise.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NE John said:

I still have the tux I bought for my first Crossing in 2008. Buying is a good investment for a reasonable price. 

Depending of course on how much that dangerous sea air causes it to shrink. 😀

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Depending of course on how much that dangerous sea air causes it to shrink. 😀

I disposed of my 1997 tuxes. They had stretched several sizes.