Cruises from Baltimore

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

What is the current route around Baltimore that DOES NOT have a tunnel?

You really don't want hazardous/explosive material in a tunnel.

It's also illegal, so there's that.  There are signs are you approach Baltimore about hazardous/explosive material carriers and what routes they should take.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

What is the current route around Baltimore that DOES NOT have a tunnel?

West on I-695 which is the Baltimore beltway (it is a loop). I have done it a bunch of times because on some trips I picked up my relatives who lived in Baltimore County. Also my mother lived in Towson so I went around that way. Other times Google Maps advised me to go that way because of traffic. Freight and Hazmat could be moved by rail. There are major rail  mainlines with multiple tracks.

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, BND said:

It's also illegal, so there's that.  There are signs are you approach Baltimore about hazardous/explosive material carriers and what routes they should take.

Apparently I shouldn't have gone through the tunnel after eating chili or baked beans.  😱

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

West on I-695 which is the Baltimore beltway (it is a loop). I have done it a bunch of times because on some trips I picked up my relatives who lived in Baltimore County. Also my mother lived in Towson so I went around that way. Other times Google Maps advised me to go that way because of traffic. Freight and Hazmat could be moved by rail. There are major rail  mainlines with multiple tracks.

It *was* a loop.....

17 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The current (as of yesterday morning) alternate route is I-695 in the other direction.

Not sure about Hazmat issues on this route, but if going from BWI to Towson, we take 295 to 395 thru the city and then 83 north.  That is the route the navigation programs take us.

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Not sure about Hazmat issues on this route, but if going from BWI to Towson, we take 295 to 395 thru the city and then 83 north.  That is the route the navigation programs take us.

Most would not be coming from BWI. Coming from DC I always took 695 west to Towson but you could take 295 from DC too. I was going to Towson before GPS but after I never used it because it came up with some  stupid routes. If you actually know the way you lean the actual best route. I would never go through the city of Baltimore. Traffic lights, congestion and whatever. I doubt if Hazmat would be be allowed that route. 

On 3/28/2024 at 12:04 PM, Charles4515 said:

Most would not be coming from BWI. Coming from DC I always took 695 west to Towson but you could take 295 from DC too. I was going to Towson before GPS but after I never used it because it came up with some  stupid routes. If you actually know the way you lean the actual best route. I would never go through the city of Baltimore. Traffic lights, congestion and whatever. I doubt if Hazmat would be be allowed that route. 

I fully agree with you about going through the city.  However, it appears that its legal to transport hazmat through town:

Hazard Overview: Hazardous Materials Incidents in Baltimore

Hazardous materials (HazMats) are part of our economy. They are used to make an array of commercial and industrial products which we consume and rely upon for various purposes. In Baltimore City, there are over 200 facilities that manufacture and/or store hazardous chemicals at threshold quantities. These are known as “Tier II Facilities,” and they are required to report to the Maryland Department of the Environment on the types and quantities of chemicals at their respective locations. Every day, hazardous materials are also transported through Baltimore via railroad, trucks, and ships. Companies that manufacture, store, and transport hazardous materials are responsible for adhering to federal, state, and local requirements to ensure that these materials are handled safely and do not threaten public health. When HazMat incidents do occur, the Baltimore City Fire Department and the Maryland Department of the Environment play the primary role in responding to and mitigating the incident.

https://emergency.baltimorecity.gov/sites/default/files/hazmat information.pdf

On 3/27/2024 at 5:46 PM, BND said:

Read the signs carefully.  The prohibition is against them on the APPROACHES.

It had to do with some underhanded things in the old days and protecting some businesses of some "friends" of the MD state government.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SRF said:

Read the signs carefully.  The prohibition is against them on the APPROACHES.

It had to do with some underhanded things in the old days and protecting some businesses of some "friends" of the MD state government.

What are you talking about?  The signs state that hazardous materials are prohibited in the tunnels.

Edited by BND

Maybe they changed.  But back in the 70s, the ban was only for the approaches, not the actual tunnels.

But you can't to the tunnel without driving on the approaches.

14 hours ago, SRF said:

Maybe they changed.  But back in the 70s, the ban was only for the approaches, not the actual tunnels.

But you can't to the tunnel without driving on the approaches.

From https://mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Facilities/BHT.html

Vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using both the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels. In addition, vehicles in excess of 13 feet, 6 inches, in height, or 96 inches (8 feet) in width; and all double trailers are prohibited from using the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. For additional information regarding these restrictions, please call 410-537-1374.