Symphony departs Mumbai

Old Sea Dog

18 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

The Red Sea is like a mill pond compared to Drake Passage. Something doesn’t pass the smell test. 

The story of the windows isn’t that cut and dry…  I’ve seen about half a dozen windows replaced on Symphony over the years, and most of those were in the hull.  The glass they used met all these great technical specifications for flexing stress, and impact, and thermal fluctuations…. But then to do it for almost 30 years (or over 10,000 days), they do sometimes, eventually crack from things they’re supposed to originally sustain.  If the window was shot out/through or shattered I would say that would be a different story, but just a crack tracks for me.

Vince

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Now there will be more, for sure. 

That may well be the case but what will the reaction be to a major incident for sure there will be one as incidents are on the rise.

Just two so far have been successful but the conflict continues in intensity as per the Royal Navy news

• Like 2

I agree, but since they have yet to try attacking a pax ship there must be a reason. Possibly because they know this would release worldwide outrage. If they stick to bulk carriers and tankers they only stifle commerce. Striking a pax ship would bring down massive retaliation. 
Pure speculation on my part. 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:17 PM, Whipsnade said:

I agree, but since they have yet to try attacking a pax ship there must be a reason. Possibly because they know this would release worldwide outrage. If they stick to bulk carriers and tankers they only stifle commerce. Striking a pax ship would bring down massive retaliation. 
Pure speculation on my part. 

So far I’m informed only three cruise ships have gone through the Red Sea.

Interesting topic on Crystal and friends regarding the December cruise with booked 

passengers cancelling and others in a quandary as to what to book and when with regard to their reservations concerning flights etc.

As people want to protect their money surely it would be prudent of Crystal to make a statement of intent if not then those booked will cancel before the final payment date leaving a ghost cruise.

3 hours ago, Old Sea Dog said:

Interesting topic on Crystal and friends regarding the December cruise with booked 

passengers cancelling and others in a quandary as to what to book and when with regard to their reservations concerning flights etc.

FWIW, there are lots of refundable fares out there to ATH and back from BOM or AUH.  Might take a bit more looking than just a simple point and click, but air tickets should not be putting people off this trip.   Anyone that wants advice, just ask.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

FWIW, there are lots of refundable fares out there to ATH and back from BOM or AUH.  Might take a bit more looking than just a simple point and click, but air tickets should not be putting people off this trip.   Anyone that wants advice, just ask.

Thank you for your positive response 

I have researched LHR-AMS-ATH//BOM-AMS-LHR Business for two

So I’m told if Crystal cancell citing conflict/war in Red Sea and flights operate then all I get refunded is taxes.

My broker has advised it would cost hundreds of pounds to insure separate so I’m holding off booking anything other than the cruise.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

For other UK passengers please check the small print re your travel insurance as not all policies cover cancellation due to conflict or war so you could loose the cost of the cruise.

Beware beginning or ending cruise in India. Indian Customs are incredibly confiscatory. We had our luggage impounded for two weeks while they rummaged through our bags and confiscated things like foam knee pillow, shaving brush, heating pad. We will never again begin or end a cruise in India. Beware. 

• Thanks 3