Haven Experiences

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think I need to re-adjust my expectation of "nice Haven fares." I do agree with you, but it pains me to see a Haven room, for a week at $2,499. And, that's bottom of the barrel right now. I know, I know...inflation. And it does make sense. I do miss those $1,800 - $2,100 fares I was finding a year or two ago. Alas, I do think those are going bye-bye. So, I suppose my internal fare catcher needs to re-calibrate to higher prices. 

I agree.  

As I've mentioned before, my Haven Threshold is $5k all in.  I've got a sizable discount burning a hole in my pocket.   I can get a ~$3K fare all in for a Haven cabin.  I can't even get a Balcony cabin on many of Royal's ships for that.  

I have not been to Bermuda since before COVID shutdown.  And, I really like the itinerary of going, using the ship as my hotel and meal home base while really exploring what I consider one of my top 3 prettiest island destinations I've ever visited.

Throwing fares against the wall to see what sticks.

I'm thinking those Joy Haven Fares from Quebec in September will be coming down as the sailing gets closer, too.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

For the Star in a DOS, yes.  Are you on 10 or 12?  They changed 10 to DOS so they could charge more vs 9 as both used to be OS.  12 got added around 2011 with two versions.  The outer ones have a wing to look over the side with a dining table.

That room also gets three bottles of booze, bottle of prosecco, unlimited in room water and soda.  No drinks delivered to room, for your convenience, of course.

12502. I usually love my balcony, but am not a fan of cold weather so thought the view would be nicer than a balcony on this cruise. I was tempted for a minute by the two bathrooms in the middle rooms, but they seemed cramped.

As a non-drinker the booze isn't appealing to me, but unlimited Diet Coke will make me happy.

"No drinks delivered to room, for your convenience, of course." 

Sarcasm, correct? Otherwise, not understanding.

I had a recent call with the concierge. At the 130 day mark, got an email telling me to call the concierge for dining reservations, etc. 

I’ll say the pre-cruise concierge was very friendly and helpful. Connected immediately, did my dining reservations, and proactively inquired about anything else I need. What mixers did u want for my bar set up (Garden Villa), did I need extra pillows, etc. 

We’ll see if all the requests and notes actually get fulfilled once on board. But the call was A+ service. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I live in a nice apartment and sail steerage.  My life is simple and uncomplicated.  Works for me.  I offer that only as an alternative that those living the High Life might wish to one day consider if these Haven burdens become too much to bear.  I have it better than 99.9999% of the people on this planet and thank God for it every day.  That makes me happy.🙂

disclaimer: that four nines had nothing to do with IT reliability. 🤣🐀

You do your vacation, and we'll do ours, and respect each other's choices.

I never could go steerage, not out of any snobbery, but because I'm very introverted and my room is my escape where I'll sit and read on the balcony for a couple of hours, especially on sea days. I would go crazy in a tiny inside cabin, and not enjoy my trip. I always say that cruising steerage is a great value for someone who only uses their cabin to sleep and otherwise is just about enjoying everything the ship and ports have to offer. That is not me.

NGL and will say that I enjoyed the privileges of being in the Haven, although I could happily do a regular balcony as well. But if I enjoy the Haven and can afford it, why not?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To answer the OP's original question--I believe your Great experience was typical. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have been in the Haven on the Gem, Epic, Breakaway, Prima and Bliss. Each time I have loved it. Is everything always perfect? Of course not. But all the important things were wonderful and I felt extremely well taken care of and lucky. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beastlet said:

But if I enjoy the Haven and can afford it, why not?

I'm only responding because you asked a question.  The answer for many, many folks is that while they would enjoy the Haven (I really don't know who wouldn't) and could easily afford it, that's just not how they choose to use their financial assets.  You, and I'm sure most in threads like this, don't fall into that category.

On 3/29/2024 at 3:04 PM, Greenpea2 said:

To answer the OP's original question--I believe your Great experience was typical. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have been in the Haven on the Gem, Epic, Breakaway, Prima and Bliss. Each time I have loved it. Is everything always perfect? Of course not. But all the important things were wonderful and I felt extremely well taken care of and lucky. 

I found the same.

I think your exeriences are the rule and not the exception.