My Norovirus experience on Azura

GOQ

18 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Apparently all the handrails etc should be brass because copper has anti bacterial properties. It kills them, apparently something to do with the molecular structure of the metal. Did you know RNA can form spontaneously on volcanic glass given the conditions on the early earth, amazing.

The attributes of copper, brass and tin have a similar effect have been known for several thousand years. One of the reasons that hospital doors had brass or copper contact plates back in the day. I remember a programme where the benefits of copper were highlighted during a Cholera outbreak in France where people who worked the copper mines were unaffected. It is still not fully understood exactly how the process works as it can vary from microbe to microbe and there is no real value in spending money to find out as modern alternatives are cheaper.

Slugs and snails are not keen on copper with some gardeners swearing by copper wire and tape to protect their plants. However as with most things there are arguments against this.

I have noticed we have quite a few snails on our hydrangeas now that the leaves have opened, plus the white and greenfly are hovering around the rose growth. Spring is definitely in the air today with lovely warm sunshine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 7:37 AM, GOQ said:

Before embarking on my recent Azura cruise I received an email from P&O informing me there was Norovirus onboard. And there were precautions being taken in the form of the buffet waiters serving food and drinks.

Then about two thirds of the way through the cruise they reverted to self service, then I got ill with diarrhea and vomiting.

I rang 999 and reported it and was promptly told to self isolate in my cabin, they asked me about my symptoms, phoned me up a few times to check my symptoms and that was it, on my own for 2 days. The only visit I had was from a nurse? Not to ask how I was or if I needed anything, only to deliver a questionnaire and a sample bottle and quickly disappear. I am in my seventies and a solo cruiser, sick and alone in my cabin for 2 days.

Throughout the cruise there were many passenger coughing and sneezing, mainly over me I seems. After I started to get through the Norovirus symptoms got these as well, a cough, sore throat and runny nose.

I don’t know if I had Norovirus and a heavy cold at the same time, but it’s certainly putting me off cruising.

Very sorry to hear this, and hope you have made a good recovery. It must have been a lonely and concerning time for you, and it seems a bit cruel to have left you to fend for yourself, especially at your age.

We were informed of a similar outbreak on Arvia in March and, to be fair, the crew - and passengers - were steadfast in their hygiene, with many using the wash basins at the entrance to the buffet.

I didn't catch this, fortunately, but I did pick up a nasty respiratory virus, which I am still trying to get over. I went to the ship's doctor twice, and she said that the gastro problem - presumably due to good hygiene practice by all - was under control, but that there was an epidemic of this virus in the UK and people had brought it onboard. 

It's the first, and last time, I will cruise in the winter months again.

I hope you have made a good recovery.

Edited by nellydean

14 hours ago, nellydean said:

Very sorry to hear this, and hope you have made a good recovery. It must have been a lonely and concerning time for you, and it seems a bit cruel to have left you to fend for yourself, especially at your age.

We were informed of a similar outbreak on Arvia in March and, to be fair, the crew - and passengers - were steadfast in their hygiene, with many using the wash basins at the entrance to the buffet.

I didn't catch this, fortunately, but I did pick up a nasty respiratory virus, which I am still trying to get over. I went to the ship's doctor twice, and she said that the gastro problem - presumably due to good hygiene practice by all - was under control, but that there was an epidemic of this virus in the UK and people had brought it onboard. 

It's the first, and last time, I will cruise in the winter months again.

I hope you have made a good recovery.

Norovirus can strike at anytime of the year, our neighbours were on a summer cruise, not with P&O when they caught it. 

On 3/30/2024 at 12:22 PM, Fionboard said:

Nothing kills norovirus except strong bleach (for sanitizing surfaces - not recommended for your skin!) Only hand washing (properly) with soap and warm water will remove the virus from your hands. Wish the ships would explain this to pax (although some will not take any notice anyway!) Just best to look after yourself. 

Earlier this year I was on a cruise with another line. There were a small number of cases of norovirus identified on board and preventative measure were introduced including the enforced washing of hands before entering any restaurant; all had washbasins at the entrance. Some people asked why they could not just use hand sanitisers such as had been used during the covid emidemic and were told that this was because hand sanitisers were generally only effective against bacteria. Covid was an exception as the alcohol in the sanitiser destroyed the bacteria's oily coating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Earlier this year I was on a cruise with another line. There were a small number of cases of norovirus identified on board and preventative measure were introduced including the enforced washing of hands before entering any restaurant; all had washbasins at the entrance. Some people asked why they could not just use hand sanitisers such as had been used during the covid emidemic and were told that this was because hand sanitisers were generally only effective against bacteria. Covid was an exception as the alcohol in the sanitiser destroyed the bacteria's oily coating.

Sorry, slip of the finger. Bacteria in final sentence should have read virus.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is the same line we were on, which had a big outbreak of Noro?.

It was got under control by, among other things, enforced hand washing with soap and water not just at the restaurants, but when returning from shore. Met at the gangway and directed (in small batches) to various areas (spa, storage deck etc) where there were hand sinks. The queues, both at the reataurants and to get back on board, were horrendous - but it worked. (Bonus -  we saw areas of the ship normally hidden from passenger view).

Oh - and all the tour coaches and shuttle buses were sanitised (fumigated) before any passengers boarded.

• Like 1

I was on azura early March, the last one before it repo'd to Malta. As a solo traveller and only on for a week I was worried about catching it and what support if any I'd get as I didn't have any one with me to help. That and I'd miss most of my holiday being poorly. 

Anyway thankfully I was OK, but it did dull the shine to my holiday and I've got another cruise booked for later on in the year, but I won't book another until I see how that goes. 

It frustrated me as despite the captain telling people to wash hands etc, I still saw people touch stuff at the pool grill, salad bowls, and then put them back. Urgh.

Yes I know you could catch it anywhere, but on a cruise it is more likely as you're all bunched together. 

13 hours ago, IAASA345 said:

I was on azura early March, the last one before it repo'd to Malta. As a solo traveller and only on for a week I was worried about catching it and what support if any I'd get as I didn't have any one with me to help. That and I'd miss most of my holiday being poorly. 

Anyway thankfully I was OK, but it did dull the shine to my holiday and I've got another cruise booked for later on in the year, but I won't book another until I see how that goes. 

It frustrated me as despite the captain telling people to wash hands etc, I still saw people touch stuff at the pool grill, salad bowls, and then put them back. Urgh.

Yes I know you could catch it anywhere, but on a cruise it is more likely as you're all bunched together. 

I believe that there is a strong case for getting rid of self service buffets on cruise ships in favour of served ones, even if there is no obvious infection onboard. Much more hygenic.

• Like 4

It was interesting (pre pandemic) that on another cruise line from UK to USA/Caribbean, as soon as we reached USA waters the self-service buffets became staff-served buffets.

Then reverted back to self service as soon as we left the USA.

Maybe the ship would not have received such a high "pass" rate from the USA authorities had it been self-serve when they inspected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1