'Twas the Cruise Over Easter - 9 Day Southern Caribbean - March 29 - April 7, 2024

POA1

A few miscellaneous updates on our scheduled projects:

Thicker Milk Shakes: This one was surprisingly easy. I walked up to the gelato counter asked the shakemeister if he could make a vanilla shake and a Nutella Irish Cream shake - but thicker. He said, "Sure." Then he did.

Cabana Sparkling Wine Stretch Goal:  Very little progress made on this front. Usually, by the time "champagne time" rolls around, we're kind of tired and thinking that a short afternoon snooze would be just what we need to keep our late night research going.

If we are going to succeed here, we are going to have to apply outlrselves. We remain hopeful that we'll be able to bring this project to a successful conclusion on Thursday or Friday. If we are getting close, management has authorized some overtime for Saturday.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Is the institute accepting donations to allow you, Michelle and Poohby to stay on the ship longer?  These reports have quickly become the comedy highlight of my day. 

yes, I am aware I may need to get out more. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)

On a technical note: If your phone or other device is set to use MAC (hardware) address randomization, you may want to turn it off for the ship's network. Otherwise, your device will issue a new MAC address every time you reconnect.

Since you typically reacquire a connection as you move about the ship, the HAL network will see this as a brand new device each time. Your internet plan is likely the one device kind, so the ship will think you are logging in with something new each time you move to a new place and home in on a new access point.

It took me a day to figure this out, and my life has been simpler since I tweaked the settings for Rotterdam-Guest.

I'll try to post some images to show how to make the change. It only impacts this one network, so you are not compromising your device security. I'm sure there are some of you who know exactly what I'm talking about and don't need diagrams. (Please know that you are my people. 😎)
😉

Edited by POA1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 8:42 AM, Boston proper said:

Thanks to The Institute for again providing such in-depth responsible corporate reporting.  Cheers!

The wine pours look a little light or have you already sampled?  We will likely also upgrade to the Elite package on our upcoming corporate retreat but it may become a requirement to ensure we have unlimited water if we need to order "double Cabernets".

Enjoy and thanks again for letting us into your bubble. 

Was on Rotterdam in November and a lady at our table was incensed at the size of her wine pour. Was very funny because she would not relent and the server had to go back and top off her drink to the brim. She said she could get a whole bottle of that exact wine at her local shop for 10.98.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Catching some afternoon outdoor moments in the bronzing sun, Poohby Joe and Michelle spend some quality pre-dinner time.

17120960121879.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

A few miscellaneous updates on our scheduled projects:

Thicker Milk Shakes: This one was surprisingly easy. I walked up to the gelato counter asked the shakemeister if he could make a vanilla shake and a Nutella Irish Cream shake - but thicker. He said, "Sure." Then he did.

Cabana Sparkling Wine Stretch Goal:  Very little progress made on this front. Usually, by the time "champagne time" rolls around, we're kind of tired and thinking that a short afternoon snooze would be just what we need to keep our late night research going.

If we are going to succeed here, we are going to have to apply outlrselves. We remain hopeful that we'll be able to bring this project to a successful conclusion on Thursday or Friday. If we are getting close, management has authorized some overtime for Saturday.

Someone is going to wonder, so I’ll ask…

Did they have malt for the shakes?

Are they covered under the drink plans (I’ll have the Elite pkg this coming cruise)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Was on Rotterdam in November and a lady at our table was incensed at the size of her wine pour. Was very funny because she would not relent and the server had to go back and top off her drink to the brim. She said she could get a whole bottle of that exact wine at her local shop for 10.98.

As illustrated in an earlier post, the glass makes a big difference. The key to success with guests like that is to flag their key card and ALWAYS bring an empty glass and the wine in a measured carafe. Any wine served in every restaurant, bar, tavern etc. Will be cheaper by the bottle in your local jar store.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

Someone is going to wonder, so I’ll ask…

Did they have malt for the shakes?

Are they covered under the drink plans (I’ll have the Elite pkg this coming cruise)?

I'm glad you asked.

No.

The "malted" has all but disappeared. It shakes my faith in humanity.

I don't know if you are familiar with the ice cream sundae, Dusty Road. It's a hot fudge sundae with a layer of malted milk on top. It was my favorite as a young lad.

I haven't seen a Dusty Road sundae in years. I am pretty sure that its disappearance signaled the end of the world as we know it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

We started dinner with a flute of decision-making juice, Chateau Ste. Michelle Brut.

Having closed on food choices, we set to work on filling out the lineup.

17121059286005.thumb.jpg.20e34f72fb1fb114fd8bfdf57d4a8862.jpg

It is a well-known, and established fact that the table with the most glassware in play wins.

17121059281057.thumb.jpg.918e73776ea798291c2ddfc36a617651.jpg

We are trying to bring our "A" game.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Michelle started with the Baby Beet, hazelnut pesto, with burrata. Back up was the Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir.

17121059280546.thumb.jpg.860abf820913ecb3b6d28e1fc3f808ee.jpg

I began with the David Burke Crab Cake. Paired with Benziger Sauvignon Blanc.

17121059284803.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, POA1 said:

I don't generally like to add things to my champagne. Well, except for more champagne.)

I'm with you on the whole Mimosa thing......OJ, yes.....champagne, yes.........I never mix them together!!

~Nancy

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Both of our entrées bore the David Burke designation. Mine was the Barramundi with Prosciutto.

17121059284312.thumb.jpg.16c84c3c59991ca6291e1139de07ea87.jpg

The Barramundi was quite good. It's Asian sea bass. We noticed that some people shied away from ordering this dish because it's unfamiliar. If you like sea bass, you'll be happy with this.

17121059283661.thumb.jpg.1e38e47993a82c8a1c9a7e4bcaff5d4e.jpg

Michelle ordered Roasted Spice Crusted Prime Rib and a Baked Potato.

The minute our waiter delivered this plate, the jokes began writing themselves. First off, that's a full size baked potato. It's not a fingerling, baby, or new potato. That's a regulation sized spud.

The couple seated next to us had serious food envy. This properly medium rare slab of beef was begging for a name. Candidates are: The Man vs. Food Challenge Plate, or The Fred Flintstone Brontosaurus Platter. ("It's Yabba Dabba Doo-licious!")

This was excellent prime rib. Truly delicious.

My wife was born in Nebraska, so she's a good, mid-western, beef-loving gal. Even so, she was not going to be able to power through this juicy hunk o' beef. She did manage to make a serious dent, though, before the meat-sweats kicked in.

I think that I'm going to keep this photo handy. When someone posts, complaining about skimpy portions or cut backs, I'm just gonna throw this picture up with the caption, "STFU."

Also, there was dessert.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

For dessert, the lovely lady ordered the Jaques Torres Chocolate Puff Pastry Craquelin.

17121059283020.thumb.jpg.1e4a0d897cfb727cc7e42d0ee194e796.jpg

This was quite tasty. The chocolate pastry cream was fantastic.

17121059282349.thumb.jpg.fd3f0d8cc26c48b82066196e808c63ff.jpg

Chocolate Puff Pastry Craquelin, with the inner workings exposed. Under normal circumstances, quick work would have been made of this. However, consuming half a steer tends slow a girl down.

17121059281668.thumb.jpg.618f16880e38e7f9f848dc5bd866f879.jpg

My dessert was the Rudi Sodamin Ricotta Raspberry Tart. I truly liked this.

If we had to pick a winner, the edge would go to the Craquelin because it came with collectable chocolate coin.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We're trying a new place in Bonaire today. It's called Chogogo Bonaire. They sell a very limited number of day passes - only 30 per day. They have a beach, a lazy river pool, and a few bars and restaurants. A day pass is $25 and you get $10 back in food or beverage.

You can walk into the water and snorkel right there. You'll need water shoes because the bottom is rough, broken coral pieces.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Our former go-to in Bonaire is Van der Valk Resort. They've gone more toward the all-inclusive concept. We just needed a place to hang out for a few hours, so this works a little better for us.

Chogogo's Beach:

17121497230090.thumb.jpg.d553f8d1a09f8ccbc9ee2fb6094db27c.jpg

17121497231932.thumb.jpg.84313012f0df6bbaf06f8a2099e20319.jpg

One of the hotel buildings

17121497231031.thumb.jpg.71996627cd284870a44a99be9fd387e1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Ewwwww! 🤢

Not much of a seafood fan…

+1

I just wasn't brave enough to say it publicly 🥺

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, POA1 said:

Some photos from our Natural Wonders of Aruba tour yesterday...

17120774675217.thumb.jpg.5ce54333a7ec886a020b05565e7db1bd.jpg

The baby natural bridge. The big one collapsed on 2005.

17120774673875.thumb.jpg.10b96b0e3202483e4ec9ab66403c9bf0.jpg

The baby natural bridge has fissures on both sides. You aren't allowed to walk on it.

17120774674616.thumb.jpg.5ab92c899db95a4a3d068127792a0101.jpg

Great pictures! We quite enjoyed the tour we did except for the random cactus hairs that I seemed to attract. We rode in an open 4x4.

Your pictures do stir nice memories. Glad to see the weather was in your favor.

• Like 3

Some additional Chogogo photos.

17121512398256.thumb.jpg.89706ebba9ff483ba0480ec531da250c.jpg

The beach bar. It's only 9:30 in the morning, so there's not much of a crowd.

17121512397755.thumb.jpg.968572c048e0edbd548716ff62501662.jpg

17121512397194.thumb.jpg.f6f1acdd63a909267be3f52d837a46d3.jpg

Looking across the lazy river, towards the Sunset restaurant.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

I grabbed a copy of the Rotterdam Art Tour yesterday. It's a paper copy, so I'll have to scan it back at Cheer HQ. It's a slightly different format. They show a deck plan with the locations of the various installations.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

Both of our entrées bore the David Burke designation. Mine was the Barramundi with Prosciutto.

17121059284312.thumb.jpg.16c84c3c59991ca6291e1139de07ea87.jpg

The Barramundi was quite good. It's Asian sea bass. We noticed that some people shied away from ordering this dish because it's unfamiliar. If you like sea bass, you'll be happy with this.

17121059283661.thumb.jpg.1e38e47993a82c8a1c9a7e4bcaff5d4e.jpg

Michelle ordered Roasted Spice Crusted Prime Rib and a Baked Potato.

The minute our waiter delivered this plate, the jokes began writing themselves. First off, that's a full size baked potato. It's not a fingerling, baby, or new potato. That's a regulation sized spud.

The couple seated next to us had serious food envy. This properly medium rare slab of beef was begging for a name. Candidates are: The Man vs. Food Challenge Plate, or The Fred Flintstone Brontosaurus Platter. ("It's Yabba Dabba Doo-licious!")

This was excellent prime rib. Truly delicious.

My wife was born in Nebraska, so she's a good, mid-western, beef-loving gal. Even so, she was not going to be able to power through this juicy hunk o' beef. She did manage to make a serious dent, though, before the meat-sweats kicked in.

I think that I'm going to keep this photo handy. When someone posts, complaining about skimpy portions or cut backs, I'm just gonna throw this picture up with the caption, "STFU."

Also, there was dessert.

Thanks for the review on the sea bass. I will try it if it is on the menu during our next cruise. I am not a fan of Prime Rib, however, Suzi is, and she is envious as she has never had a portion that big on a HAL ship. 

• Like 4