Cruise reservation changes

Since I am the only one of my friends who have been on a cruise in recent years, I get a lot of questions.  Most of them are pretty easy to answer.  However, this is one that I have not been able to.

Assume that a married couple book a cruise 6-18 months out.  If one partner dies in the interim, I know that travel insurance will cover that.  However, can the widow maintain the reservation and invite a friend or family member to accompany her?  Is there any additional charges or fees?

Posted (edited)

I believe as long as one of the original guests remains on the reservation, other guests may be switched out.  Sometimes there is a minor fee for this, but that depends on the cruise line.  It would be best if you ask this on the board here for the cruise line involved.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

I believe that changing the name on a ticket will be covered in the Cruise Contract and you should look for or ask for this and consider the potential consequences before booking.

Names on tickets are part of the passenger manifest that is shared with each country that you are stopping in.  There may be a time frame where the name can be changed, and there most certainly will be a cost.

This may also be very different cruise line to cruise line, so I would pose this question to the cruise line specifically.  This is probably not an uncommon question to the cruise line.  Marriages break up, friendships end, and unfortunately people pass.  I do hope your friend is not in this situation however....

Just one note to consider as well.  Assuming that there will be airfare as well, some airlines do NOT allow the transfer of a ticket to another person.  That is another consideration for you.  Insurance would cover the loss of the air ticket, but the newly joining travel companion may have to buy airfare separately.

• Like 1