Where Will I Be On The Map On Sea Days?

puzzums

Hello, 

I will be on the Voyage of the Glaciers 14-day cruise, on the Royal Princess, embarking June 1/24.  It is my understanding that we will miss most of the Canadian leg of scenery as it will go by during the night.  June 2 is a sea day.  What area of the inside passage will we pass through during that day?  This is our first Alaskan cruise and I’m just trying to work out, roughly, where we are on that sea day from sunrise to sunset on a map.

Thanks!

On the first sea day, you will be crossing the Queen Charlotte Sound, between the Queen Charlotte Islands  and the British Columbia mainland. The ship will keep its distance from both the islands and the mainland.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, puzzums said:

Hello, 

I will be on the Voyage of the Glaciers 14-day cruise, on the Royal Princess, embarking June 1/24.  It is my understanding that we will miss most of the Canadian leg of scenery as it will go by during the night.  June 2 is a sea day.  What area of the inside passage will we pass through during that day?  This is our first Alaskan cruise and I’m just trying to work out, roughly, where we are on that sea day from sunrise to sunset on a map.

Thanks!

Royal isn't allowed to use the inside passage of Vancouver Island because of her maneuvering limitations.  You'll be rocking and rolling in the open seas both ways.  You won't be in the Inside Passage until you get to Alaska, and even there she has some restrictions.

Download the Cruise Mapper app and you will always be able to see where you are.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@wolfie11 is right - you will go West of Vancouver Island due to the ship size (and limitations) on the first and last day. It could be rough sailing. If you are prone to sea sickness, I would plan accordingly. It will not be scenic.

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, puzzums said:

Hello, 

Thanks!

This map shows the sea day. Royal will be on the red line that is coming in from the left of Vancouver Island and then curves right to join the black line that the smaller ships take. You can see Ketchikan at the top of the map. The islands of Haida Gwaii that will be on the port side are referred to as "the Galapagos of the North in recognition of the unique assemblages of plants and animals found here". I hope this helps!

seaday.jpg

You may want to download a marine navigation app on your phone..   Install the necessary sea maps before you leave.   In that way you can track your ship real time on your trip.   Note, sometimes I have to be on my balcony or near a window for the GPS to update.   I have found that using these navigation apps makes the trip more interesting.