Viking Star food

hutch1994

Just finished the transatlantic cruise on Viking Star and found the food for the most part  hit and miss.  Discussed this with Chef Joseph, (executive chef) and learned that probably most of the people working in the galley go through a short training session with Viking before finally being hired and are not professional trained.  More like being a line cook.  He did say that Viking was cutting back on the thickness of the steak cuts and the food style was being revamped, not necessarily to the good.   Appears to be cooking for a more general crowd taste as oppose to authentic versions.  He did personally go back to the authentic original version of lobster thermidor the two of us one night in the main dining room, which by the way was great.  It was really enjoyable talking to him and we appreciably the personal tour of the kitchen that he gave to the two us us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I concur with the hit and miss.  Unfortunately when I encounter a miss, a single hit does not result in a zero sum game.  Chef Joseph was new to the ship and appeared to be making his mark as the dishes improved as the cruise progressed but still too many misses for a well established product.

11 minutes ago, Pigin said:

I concur with the hit and miss.  Unfortunately when I encounter a miss, a single hit does not result in a zero sum game.  Chef Joseph was new to the ship and appeared to be making his mark as the dishes improved as the cruise progressed but still too many misses for a well established product.

Chef Joseph actually has a very impressive resume.  I attributed it more to the people working under him since in most cases, he is over seeing the item.  He had to work with the staff he is given.  Doesn't do the hiring.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

He did say that Viking was cutting back on the thickness of the steak cuts and the food style was being revamped, not necessarily to the good.   Appears to be cooking for a more general crowd taste as oppose to authentic versions.  

This is disappointing to hear because we have 98% of the time been very happy with Viking food and it is one of the reasons we pay their prices.

If food is declining in quality (don't care if the steak is a bit thinner if they cook it well) then that is a concern.

Is this Viking's version of "shrinkflation"?  Cut back on the food quality to save money but charge the same?

• Like 1

We spent 33 days on the Star in Nov / Dec.  Believe part of it was with Chef Joseph.  Did Chefs Table and Manfredi's 7 times each and with the exception of fatty, thin ribeyes in Manfredi's (attributed by chef to recent switch to new beef supplier) we were very satisfied.  

• Like 3

On 4/4/2024 at 2:18 PM, CDNPolar said:

This is disappointing to hear because we have 98% of the time been very happy with Viking food and it is one of the reasons we pay their prices.

If food is declining in quality (don't care if the steak is a bit thinner if they cook it well) then that is a concern.

Is this Viking's version of "shrinkflation"?  Cut back on the food quality to save money but charge the same?

We asked the Head Chef on a recent cruise about this "shrinkflation".  Whether true or not, his response was . . .   Viking has had SO many comments/feedback that the portions sizes were TOO big and there was too much waster.  People predominately said they wanted smaller portions and the big eaters could just order more.  Interesting, but I'm sure there's truth to that.  In the old days I do remember people complaining that the portions were too large!  Can't please everyone.

We stopped having the steak in Manfredi's.  Instead, we get the Steak to order in the World Cafe.  Nice size - always cooked to my liking!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We asked the Head Chef on a recent cruise about this "shrinkflation".  Whether true or not, his response was . . .   Viking has had SO many comments/feedback that the portions sizes were TOO big and there was too much waster.  People predominately said they wanted smaller portions and the big eaters could just order more.  Interesting, but I'm sure there's truth to that.  In the old days I do remember people complaining that the portions were too large!  Can't please everyone.

We stopped having the steak in Manfredi's.  Instead, we get the Steak to order in the World Cafe.  Nice size - always cooked to my liking!

With no disrespect intended, Americans are known for larger portions and since the majority of Vikings guests are Americans we find (as Canadians) that Viking really does cater to Americans.

I have also heard onboard and read here on Cruise Critic that The Chef's Table is not as popular because the portions are too small.  But, this is what a tasting menu is all about.  Tasting menus are about the variety of courses and the attention to detail and execution, not the portion size.

You cannot please everyone on the food front for sure.

My only concern is if the food quality is going down, not the portion size.  We have always been pleased with the quality.

As far as portions in both the Restaurant and Manfredi's, we have often asked for a couple of appetizers and then the main being made into an appetizer portion as well.  In the end we are eating 3 appetizer size dishes and end up quite satisfied.

When we started cruising we thought we had to be gluttons and fill our bellies with both food and wine, but now we are looking at restraint while still enjoying our meals.  It is not about stuffing our faces because it is included...  We now leave a cruise at the same weight we boarded.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

My experience from Viking river ships is that sometimes people order "half portions" and we (six people) cannot tell the difference between a half and a full portion... and the waiter insisted it was a half portion. 🤣

That being said, I agree... smaller portions are better and you can always order more if needed.

Edited by Mike07

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

When we started cruising we thought we had to be gluttons and fill our bellies with both food and wine, but now we are looking at restraint while still enjoying our meals.  It is not about stuffing our faces because it is included...  We now leave a cruise at the same weight we boarded.

True story... Grand European... me stuff my face every meal... me lost weight on the trip. That's what 30,000+ steps every day did.

34 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

True story... Grand European... me stuff my face every meal... me lost weight on the trip. That's what 30,000+ steps every day did.

Yes!  And we sleep well because of that 30,000 steps a day

• Haha 1

Currently on Viking Orion and the food quality has definitely dropped. It may be the area but seafood seems to dominate in the World Cafe and so if you don't like this, which my husband doesn't, then choices are limited. The couple of times we went to Manfredi's the pasta of the day was seafood, no lasagne so didn't go again. There were quite a few empty tables so perhaps others feeing the same. Our overall view generally is when it is good it is very good but too many off days.

12 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Currently on Viking Orion and the food quality has definitely dropped. It may be the area but seafood seems to dominate in the World Cafe and so if you don't like this, which my husband doesn't, then choices are limited. The couple of times we went to Manfredi's the pasta of the day was seafood, no lasagne so didn't go again. There were quite a few empty tables so perhaps others feeing the same. Our overall view generally is when it is good it is very good but too many off days.

hmmm - you speak of poor quality and then tag on lack of non-seafood dishes.  Both?

It may be a location/itinerary thing.  We've never had an issue with there not being non-seafood choices, even in Manfredi's.  Seafood no doubt is popular on cruise ships since they are on the ocean and dock in ports that have seafood arriving a lot.  However, we've always seen plenty of beef, chicken, and pork.  Curious as to what items you didn't see that you were expecting that were non-seafood.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Know that in the World Cafe, you can walk up to the cooking - hot food section - and get a steak grilled to your liking anytime.  There may be "hidden" options.  Also on some ships around the back of the World Cafe across from the bar there is (on some ships) a cooking station there that offers options too.

43 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Know that in the World Cafe, you can walk up to the cooking - hot food section - and get a steak grilled to your liking anytime.  There may be "hidden" options.  Also on some ships around the back of the World Cafe across from the bar there is (on some ships) a cooking station there that offers options too.

Exactly!  At World Cafe, we often got the grilled to order NY Steak (actually many times) since it was so good. Offered every night!  If it didn't turn out like you wanted, they would happily do it again so you were satisfied!   In addition, every night (and lunch) they featured a meat non-seafood carving station of some sort - either roast beef, flank steak, turkey, lamb, you name it!  Every night!

The Asian Station by the Aquavit bar always had some sort of non-seafood item (often chicken or beef stir fry, or with noodles).  

At Manfredi's there were a number of non-seafood items on our recent voyage.  From the standard menu, we tried the amazing Short Ribs, the Parmigana Chicken, the herb roasted pork chop, the grilled bone-in rib-eye, and the thick cut rib-eye.  In fact, 5 out of the 7 main courses are non-seafood.  So I'm not sure how one can say there were limited non-seafood choices at Manfredi's.  (or the other venues)

At Chef's Table, if there was seafood you could ask for a substitute, like a steak or something.

Absolutely no one who did not like fish was lacking in the number of choices available to them.  In fact, we spoke to a gentleman who was fearful they might not have much since he did not like seafood and he was overwhelmingly surprised by how many different choices he had - at every venue!

ManfredisNum4.thumb.JPG.dd73700779cd66eee17bf22d46ef18b0.JPG

• Like 4