Tipping Questions

tjunmin

I did a search in the forum but have not found an answer.

1. If I decide to tip directly to the staff in cash, what should be the breakdown of the $14.50 daily tip between room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter?

2. Should I tip separately when dining at The Verandah and the pop-up restaurants, or is the tip already included in the fee?

Thanks in advance for your clarification!

Point No 1: If tipping individually, don't forget the Maitre d', the Head Waiter, the Chef(s), the KP's, the Hotel Room Supervisor, the Deck Manager.

We find it easier just to pay the daily charge. We might even add a bit here and there for excellent service.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, tjunmin said:

1. If I decide to tip directly to the staff in cash, what should be the breakdown of the $14.50 daily tip between room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter?

2. Should I tip separately when dining at The Verandah and the pop-up restaurants, or is the tip already included in the fee?

There isn't really an answer. Tipping cultures vary between USA, Canada, UK & Europe.

Most leave auto gratuities (hotel & dining service charge) on, which means several folk in the background supporting the room attendant and waiters get a share.

As Brits living in France we leave them on, and may give token amounts to room attendant, waiters, sommelier, drinks waiters etc depending on how much they have contributed to our enjoyment of the trip. Last time we shared around 50% extra of the daily gratuity level along with notes of thanks to those listed.

Our table and cabin neighbours for one of the weeks planned to give the room attendant $100 as due to make up not being removed each night, pillow covers had to be changed daily.

Some Brits and other Europeans believe there should be no need to tip, and some Americans like to give much more. Some even like to do so in advance to ensure good (preferential?) service, which many of us would consider to be a bribe.

Posted (edited)

The "hotel service charge" is spread among all the hospitality staff who look after you, from the lower management level down to your steward. If you decide instead to remove that and pay it according to your own formula, then that's over to you and whatever mechanism suits you.

For Verandah and other pop-ups, there is no additional service fee on that (apart from any drinks you order) but they would normally be part of the "hotel service charge" and therefore again if you prefer to tip personally it's over to you to come up with a fair way of doing that (or indeed an unfair way if you prefer!).

Edited by Pushpit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tjunmin said:

2)  - No need to be Tipping at the Veranda or Pop ups, whilst it is not already included in the initial  price, the idea is it is included in the 'Auto Gratuities'  .

• Thanks 1

Life's too short to be worrying about how much to tip anybody/everybody - just leave auto tips in place and let somebody else do the worrying is my mantra.

• Like 7