New HAL Audible Partnership

10 hours ago, happercamper said:

My husband and I will download an audible book before each cruise.  We try to find one that has something to do with the places we will see.  Example - Thunderstruck by Erik Larson for Nova Scotia and To Wake the Sleeping Giant by Jeff Shaara for Pearl Harbor.  We listen to the book together during our down time most afternoons and find we enjoy discussing the book at dinner.  Everyone has their own way of cruising and there is no One Size Fits All.  If this is not you thing then by all means don't try it.

I like your idea of "book club for 2 - the cruising version"

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 7:47 AM, Shalandara said:

So, some of this is probably the idea of keeping people interested in HAL even when not on the boat. By promoting book clubs that meet outside of the actual cruise they are fostering a community spirit that is not involved with "commercial" social media or similar (such as our forums or FaceBook, etc.)  So in that sense people on these forums are *not* the target demographic although if they pull us in as well that is fine.  Also forums/places where they can slightly control the feed as well as see exactly who is interacting in order for them to get a better sense of demographics.  (Its all about metadata at times).

“.  Also forums/places where they can slightly control the feed as well as see exactly who is interacting in order for them to get a better sense of demographics.  (Its all about metadata at times).”

Like the HAL Private Forum that they started a year or 2 ago. They sort of mimic CC (and have several members in common), but without the guidelines (so smoking is embedded in many discussions), and disappointingly almost NO interaction from HAL. I no longer participate.

And yes, HAL has supreme control as they send the invitations.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I love audio books, and am already an Audible subscriber - now to figure out how to join the HAL-related content.

I know this idea isn't for everyone, but I appreciate that HAL is trying to build community in a new and interesting way. I've worked in community management for 9 years, and it's important that companies cultivate and nurture their online community however they can. Well done HAL!

• Like 1