First time on PG!

Hi- we are onboard now and having a great time. I will post the shore excursion booklet a little later when it is daylight (currently wide awake bc of ship movements knocking over stuff in the room). Tips- book whatever excursions you may even think about wanting now. You can always alter your plans once onboard. We changed some plans around and are on the waitlist for an excursion in a few days. 

Bring seasick medicine because this ship rocks a lot. The first night I had to leave dinner bc I felt awful. I normally do not get seasick, but had to put a scopolamine patch on, as well as sea bands. The weather isn’t bad, it’s just the ship is small and there are a lot of swells.

Yesterday we were in Hiva Oa, and there were no excursions offered - they said everything was cancelled for administrative reasons. They did give free tickets to the Paul Gauguin museum. Tendering was interesting bc of the swells. We went ashore and visited the cemetery, museum, and the artisan market. A troupe of Marquesan dancers came onboard last night and put on an amazing show!

Service and food have been fantastic and we are spending a lot of time at the pool. LMK if you have questions. Will post excursions in a few hours  

• Like 3

Thanks for reporting "Live". We sail in August, so just wondering: Did you book excursions 60 days before? Do they give you times and updated info for each island excursion? 

22 hours ago, MrBill923 said:

Thanks for reporting "Live". We sail in August, so just wondering: Did you book excursions 60 days before? Do they give you times and updated info for each island excursion? 

Yes, we booked some excursions 60 days before. We had a schedule change in the itinerary, so added an extra excursion in Moorea. There were extra excursions listed for some islands. The internet won’t let me post pictures, but I will when I get home.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was there from May 26th - June 6th .... only one day that I would call 'rainy'.

Pictured: Leaving Rangiroa at sunset. The 'Aquarium' is just on the other side of the small motu.

DSC04092-Edit.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 2

thank you @JinxyB! I'll look forward to your excursion info when you return. Thanks for the heads up about seasickness. 

Silly, but I'm curious about the in-room hair dryers. Are they any good? And if you have used the laundry, how hard is it on clothes? Did you do send your swimsuits through the laundry?

Enjoy your cruise!!! Thanks so much for the live report!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Sandra said:

thank you @JinxyB! I'll look forward to your excursion info when you return. Thanks for the heads up about seasickness. 

Silly, but I'm curious about the in-room hair dryers. Are they any good? And if you have used the laundry, how hard is it on clothes? Did you do send your swimsuits through the laundry?

Enjoy your cruise!!! Thanks so much for the live report!!

The hair dyers are very good- full sized and strong. I have long/thick hair and am happy with it. Have not sent out laundry yet, but plan to. I just rinse my swimsuits in fresh water and hang them to dry in bathroom or balcony chair 

• Thanks 1

I know booking tours is 60 days out with the ship but that is a Sunday any thoughts.

We usually do private but no responses on roll call and some tour people have not replied so going with ship.

On 6/14/2024 at 7:08 AM, Hogladyrider said:

How's the weather been, HOT I am guessing?

It’s hot, but not TOO hot. Lower humidity then I’m used to living in the southern USA! 

7 hours ago, Trend said:

I know booking tours is 60 days out with the ship but that is a Sunday any thoughts.

We usually do private but no responses on roll call and some tour people have not replied so going with ship.

There should be someone who answers the phone at PG? I called during the week, but had no issues booking excursions. Some of the islands in the Marquesas you can see the sights on your own. PG supplies a free shuttle in the more remote islands. We did most of the Marquesas on our own. Booked a 4x4 ride in Fatu Hiva and was kinda disappointed (not worth the money in my opinion)

• Thanks 1

Yes I know during the week someone will answer but what about a Sunday which is the date of the 60 days out?

thanks for your reply

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 9:28 PM, JinxyB said:

There should be someone who answers the phone at PG? I called during the week, but had no issues booking excursions. Some of the islands in the Marquesas you can see the sights on your own. PG supplies a free shuttle in the more remote islands. We did most of the Marquesas on our own. Booked a 4x4 ride in Fatu Hiva and was kinda disappointed (not worth the money in my opinion)

That's really good to know. Have you heard from other passengers who did the ship excursions on any of the Marquesas ports? Would love to hear any feedback!

Seems that most ship excursions at the more remote areas are just 'discovery' or 'scenic drives' -- and if they provide a free shuttle and we can self-explore, that may be a better option? Would greatly appreciate your opinion. Thanks so much!!

Since you did most of the Marquesas on your own, are there any must-sees or must-dos? Would love any recommendations!

On 6/13/2024 at 7:31 AM, JinxyB said:

Hi- we are onboard now and having a great time. I will post the shore excursion booklet a little later when it is daylight (currently wide awake bc of ship movements knocking over stuff in the room). Tips- book whatever excursions you may even think about wanting now. You can always alter your plans once onboard. We changed some plans around and are on the waitlist for an excursion in a few days. 

Bring seasick medicine because this ship rocks a lot. The first night I had to leave dinner bc I felt awful. I normally do not get seasick, but had to put a scopolamine patch on, as well as sea bands. The weather isn’t bad, it’s just the ship is small and there are a lot of swells.

Yesterday we were in Hiva Oa, and there were no excursions offered - they said everything was cancelled for administrative reasons. They did give free tickets to the Paul Gauguin museum. Tendering was interesting bc of the swells. We went ashore and visited the cemetery, museum, and the artisan market. A troupe of Marquesan dancers came onboard last night and put on an amazing show!

Service and food have been fantastic and we are spending a lot of time at the pool. LMK if you have questions. Will post excursions in a few hours  

@JinxyBThank you for your information so far 🙂 Has the watersports (back of boat) been open at all yet? 

15 minutes ago, K8-Canada said:

@JinxyBThank you for your information so far 🙂 Has the watersports (back of boat) been open at all yet? 

No, it hasn’t. That’s been pretty disappointing. Hopefully it will be open at least once in the next few days 

1 hour ago, BeechMan said:

@JinxyBDoes your family scuba?  If so, any good tips so far?

No- we were hoping to get certified on the ship, but there were no options for beginning dives that worked with our flight schedule 

On 6/14/2024 at 9:44 AM, JinxyB said:

Yes, we booked some excursions 60 days before. We had a schedule change in the itinerary, so added an extra excursion in Moorea. There were extra excursions listed for some islands. The internet won’t let me post pictures, but I will when I get home.

@JinxyB I received an updated itinerary from PG today with Moorea added, perhaps it is the same as your sailing (see attached).

June Updated Itinerary.pdf

3 hours ago, K8-Canada said:

@JinxyB I received an updated itinerary from PG today with Moorea added, perhaps it is the same as your sailing (see attached).

June Updated Itinerary.pdf 173.96 kB · 3 downloads

Egads. Thank you for sharing this; I've received NO COMMUNICATION about a second change to our itinerary...but now see the change on the itinerary online. I'll confirm by phone tomorrow, but thanks again!

8 hours ago, Tom Sandra said:

Egads. Thank you for sharing this; I've received NO COMMUNICATION about a second change to our itinerary...but now see the change on the itinerary online. I'll confirm by phone tomorrow, but thanks again!

@Tom Sandra I did not notice the changed itinerary online, but I see it has been updated. I hope this doesn't mess up any of the third party excursions you have planned. Our August 3 sailing is now 46 days away, but excursions for the sailing have not been released yet so I'm really looking forward to the excursion booklet that @JinxyB will post.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JinxyB said:

No- we were hoping to get certified on the ship, but there were no options for beginning dives that worked with our flight schedule 

@JinxyB Can you please do me giant favor while you are onboard? The onboard diving should have a list of available dives (might be called Scuba Diving Booking Form)...could you please get a copy/photo that you could post when you are back home? These forms are available for most itineraries, but not this one because it is new. Huge thanks 🙂 

26 minutes ago, K8-Canada said:

@JinxyB Can you please do me giant favor while you are onboard? The onboard diving should have a list of available dives (might be called Scuba Diving Booking Form)...could you please get a copy/photo that you could post when you are back home? These forms are available for most itineraries, but not this one because it is new. Huge thanks 🙂 

Yes - I already have it and will post. The internet sucks on the ship and I can’t post stuff. I will do it once back in the USA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JinxyB said:

Yes - I already have it and will post. The internet sucks on the ship and I can’t post stuff. I will do it once back in the USA

Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 2:46 PM, K8-Canada said:

June Updated Itinerary.pdf 173.96 kB · 6 downloads

Yes, this is the exact itinerary we just did, and IMO, a better one than the original. I feel there was too much time spent in the Marquesas.

• Like 2