On board booking vs FCC

kahuna21

3 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

Are the benefits identical, whether one books while on board, or instead purchases a future cruise certificate to use when booking from home?

As I recall on our recent cruise the only difference was in the SBC.  For a cruise we booked onboard it was $250 per stateroom and for the FCC it was $100 per stateroom.  If I’m incorrect I’m sure someone will post also hopefully.  

• Like 1

I would just add that the FCC is fully refundable (must be requested within the one year deadline though), whereas the onboard booking has a $150 per person penalty if cancelled (moving once does not incur the penalty).

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

What is this?

Ship Board Credit, also know as On board Credit. Not to be confused with Southern Bell Company. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

What is this?

Oceania has not used the term OBC (OnBoardCredit) for its own non-refundable SBC (i.e., ShipBoardCredit) since starting to allow those $ to be used for tours et al. purchases prior to boarding. Now OBC is best limited to citing refundable $ from your TA purchased as a gift.

• Thanks 1

Also, please keep in mind that if you purchase an FCC, then you will be subject to any price increases in effect by the time you have selected your itinerary. On the other hand, if you book on board, you lock in your price at the time that you select your itinerary.
Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On Riveria now. I have booked all the current release cruises I chose to take. There will be a new cruise release for booking on 4/17 which is four (4) days after we disembarked. I can buy a FCC now anboard, getting all its benefits, and have my TA book our newly selected cruise on 4/17. This is the primary advantage of a FCC. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On Riveria now. I have booked all the current release cruises I chose to take. There will be a new cruise release for booking on 4/17 which is four (4) days after we disembarked. I can buy a FCC now anboard, getting all its benefits, and have my TA book our newly selected cruise on 4/17. This is the primary advantage of a FCC. 

FWIW: The term FCC, which was a bit confusing during the height of the Covid era (because it could mean either/both Future Cruise Certificate and Future Cruise Credit is now differentiated by the term FCDC (future cruise deposit certificate) being applied to the onboard purchase item. When you actually get the emailed FCDC certificate, you’ll see the new title at the top of the page. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Are you sure you're getting the same amount of SBC? Ours in Feb was $250 if we picked a cruise or $100 if purchasing an FCC, or to make FF happy I'll call it a FCDC, not to be confused with the FDIC or the Federal Communications Commission. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Are you sure you're getting the same amount of SBC? Ours in Feb was $250 if we picked a cruise or $100 if purchasing an FCC, or to make FF happy I'll call it a FCDC, not to be confused with the FDIC or the Federal Communications Commission. 

Yes - recently $250 SBC for book onboard or $100 SBC FOR FCDC.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes - recently $250 SBC for book onboard or $100 SBC FOR FCDC.

That's what I was asking Pinot, I don't think he's getting ALL the same benefits. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ORV said:

That's what I was asking Pinot, I don't think he's getting ALL the same benefits. 

The benefits are the same as regards BoB discount, price drop match, low deposit, etc. the only difference is more SBC for picking an actual cruise as opposed to the FCDC.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ORV said:

or the CDC

On 4/7/2024 at 10:02 AM, ORV said:

You’re correct. I only get the $100 SBC because the new release is 4 days after we disembark vs $250 if we could book aboard. Everything else is the same. I should have specified that originally.

• Like 2