Why GTY only?

Posted (edited)

I've been watching Indy Nov 25 - 30 for about 3 weeks now. For 3 people, the cabins for int, ov are only GTY. I even contacted a TA to see if they could see anything different and the answer was no. I'm just wondering about the rationale behind GTY only as opposed to just charging more to pick the room. I didn’t love the location (all the way forward) for my last OV GTY but I want to be on the ship so I may not have a choice.

Edited by fla33023

5 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Opppssss....sorry that was for double occupancy....however there is currently 1 assigned balcony cabin for 3 available.

Thanks. At $3800 for 5 nights, it was above my price point.

20 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

I'm just wondering about the rationale behind GTY only as opposed to just charging more to pick the room.

Inventory management - it's all specific to the ship/sailing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Inventory management - it's all specific to the ship/sailing.

Biker19, I normally like your straightforward answers but not today! lol Why isn't it better to just put people in cabins now? 

1 hour ago, fla33023 said:

I've been watching Indy Nov 25 - 30 for about 3 weeks now. For 3 people, the cabins for int, ov are only GTY. I even contacted a TA to see if they could see anything different and the answer was no. I'm just wondering about the rationale behind GTY only as opposed to just charging more to pick the room. I didn’t love the location (all the way forward) for my last OV GTY but I want to be on the ship so I may not have a choice.

They must have a very small quantity of rooms left.  

Have you considered other room types?  I've personally never seen the appeal of OceanVIew -- it lacks the low price of Inside, and it lacks the obvious positives of a balcony.  I see OceanView as the red-headed stepchild of the cruising family.  

1 hour ago, fla33023 said:

Thanks. At $3800 for 5 nights, it was above my price point.

For that price, I'd expect something nicer than an OceanView.  

57 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

That is also over Thanksgiving so the price is going to be high

Yeah, we went on a holiday once (happened to be Thanksgiving), and we're done with that.  The price was high, and the ship was crowded.  

14 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

Biker19, I normally like your straightforward answers but not today! lol Why isn't it better to just put people in cabins now? 

They're trying to squeeze out a few more dollars with Royal Up.  Its to their financial advantage to wait until the last couple weeks.  

• Haha 1

Likely because the “selectable” inventory isn’t available at this time. 

They will know that there will be a percentage of cabins that will become available due to returns and cancellations or upgrades. “Gty” gives them the flexibility to work that inventory to their advantage until the point when they do firm up.

• Like 1