POA (Pride of America) Excursions in Kona and Kaua'i

6 hours ago, jrt.mom said:

To add to omahabob's post, the helicopter tour I did met at the shopping center a short walk from the ship and shuttled us to the airport.  It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny, especially now since NCL has dropped the Na Pali sailby portion on the trip. We booked the tour after finding out we were to miss it due to "maintenance issues" and really wanted to see the cliffs and the helicopter is a great way to do so!

We were thinking the same thing! 

Our favorite island is Kauai, so much to do and see Kauai. Have done, and recommend,any of these:

- The Luau is a great choice, you will love it

- Directors Cut tour

- Helicopter, the best and only way to see most of the Island, used Blue Hawaiian

- Waimea Canyon is beautiful, NCL excursion was/is Journey to Waimea Canyon

- Back Country tubing tour - uber/taxi/rental car

- Zip Lining

- Kauai coffee Plantation visit - uber/taxi/rental car

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:17 AM, Genealogy_Lover said:

What were your favorite NCL excursions in Kona and Kaua'i? (Or tours to avoid?) Specifically, did anyone do the NCL "Local Style Kona Coast Tour"? 

Thanks!

I walked to the Kona brewery tour where we learned that the bottled beer is produced in Oregon.

But they were generous with the beer samples and got a good buzz before noon.  The pizza is good too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

First, have you ever been to Hawaii?  You simply can't do it "all" even with 1 week, and few days on either side.

This is what we did in early March.

Rented a car for 2 days (shuttle available from cruise terminal to/from airport).

Spent first day driving to the Waimea canyon and the various overlooks.  In a car you can go all the way to the top of the Napali coast line.  We took our time coming back, stopped at a local fruit stand, Port Allen area, and the home of Lelo and Stitch. 

2nd day we went on the Kauai Back Country Adventures tubing trip.  We really liked it.  Well organized and run.  Did some extra shopping after that, but traffic looked very heavy on the return, so we cut our plans short to ensure time to get back to ship.  

Check the location for helicopter rides.  I don't think they all start from the main airport.

Uber is expensive in Hawaii.  Taxi's are about the same, but you generally don't have to wait.

We had been to the big island twice before, and visited Volcanos NP when in Hilo. 

So for Kona, we rented a car (Enterprise is close by the port) and drove north, along the Kohola coast to Kapa'au, then along the side of the mountain to Waimea (yes, same name, different island), then back to Kona.  (there was no equivalent NCL tour for this route)

We still had time for a bite to eat, a drink (Kona Brewing) and quick shopping, all within walking distance to the port.

For all our driving, we used the Guidealong app, which is very good. 

Where did they so far say they wanted to see it 'all'?

OP, on the ship the buffet had a wood fired pizza oven port side forward that was pretty good.  Note they also had a snack area on 12 forward of the pool at certain times.

Deck six port side has Cadillac Diner which is free.  Service can be hit or miss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Where did they so far say they wanted to see it 'all'?

They didn't, but wanted to temper expectations up front. Any 1 excursion for a day at any of the ports can't show everything that island has to offer.

5 hours ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

Our favorite island is Kauai, so much to do and see Kauai. Have done, and recommend,any of these:

- The Luau is a great choice, you will love it

- Directors Cut tour

- Helicopter, the best and only way to see most of the Island, used Blue Hawaiian

- Waimea Canyon is beautiful, NCL excursion was/is Journey to Waimea Canyon

- Back Country tubing tour - uber/taxi/rental car

- Zip Lining

- Kauai coffee Plantation visit - uber/taxi/rental car

Kauai sounds amazing! Thanks for your recommendations.

4 hours ago, billslowsky said:

I walked to the Kona brewery tour where we learned that the bottled beer is produced in Oregon.

But they were generous with the beer samples and got a good buzz before noon.  The pizza is good too.

Thanks for this info!

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

OP, on the ship the buffet had a wood fired pizza oven port side forward that was pretty good.  Note they also had a snack area on 12 forward of the pool at certain times.

Deck six port side has Cadillac Diner which is free.  Service can be hit or miss.

My son will be thrilled to hear about the pizza! Thanks for the intel!

On 4/7/2024 at 12:36 AM, jrt.mom said:

To add to omahabob's post, the helicopter tour I did met at the shopping center a short walk from the ship and shuttled us to the airport.  It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny, especially now since NCL has dropped the Na Pali sailby portion on the trip. We booked the tour after finding out we were to miss it due to "maintenance issues" and really wanted to see the cliffs and the helicopter is a great way to do so!

There's also shuttle buses from the port to that shopping center (Kukui Grove). It was discussed in this thread:

• Like 1