Britannia Cookery club

Hi

I wonder if anyone is able to give me an idea of what the cookery club is on Britannia. Obviously cooking!

I saw it advertised in the Horizon when we were onboard in February but didn’t take much notice and it didn’t tell you much about it either. They seemed to have had various eg Thai Street food

I am thinking it would be good to do on our next Caribbean cruise, but not sure what it entails.  
Is it a full meal that you eat together once the class has finished or if it’s something you make and take away to eat?

Wondering if I need to book myself and hubby to do together if you eat the meal….. or if you bring back, in which case I can go alone 

I’ve tried searching in here and also P&O website but not quite got the info I need, so any help always appreciated! 

Last time I was on Britannia the classes in the Cookery Club varied and were also different when Marco was onboard.

From memory there is not a meal as such when you go to one of the classes other than eating what you have made but there is a "special" meal that you can book into which does not entail going to any class - and if Marco is onboard and cooking the meal then that is something special - one of the best meals I have had anywhere and certainly on any ship, but it does come at a cost.

As the Cookery Club is quite small then if there is a class that you want to go to then I would suggest that you book as soon as you can - when I was onboard you could book on embarkation day. Again if Marco is onboard the classes will book up very quickly, as will his meal - it was fully booked by around 14:00 on embarkation day and certainly at that time you could not book in advance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, david63 said:

Last time I was on Britannia the classes in the Cookery Club varied and were also different when Marco was onboard.

From memory there is not a meal as such when you go to one of the classes other than eating what you have made but there is a "special" meal that you can book into which does not entail going to any class - and if Marco is onboard and cooking the meal then that is something special - one of the best meals I have had anywhere and certainly on any ship, but it does come at a cost.

As the Cookery Club is quite small then if there is a class that you want to go to then I would suggest that you book as soon as you can - when I was onboard you could book on embarkation day. Again if Marco is onboard the classes will book up very quickly, as will his meal - it was fully booked by around 14:00 on embarkation day and certainly at that time you could not book in advance.

Hi, the cookery club has a list of menus. You don't get to choose which one beforehand. You work in pairs. All the ingredients are ready weighed and in containers for you. You then work together and follow the chef. Then you eat what you have made.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, david63 said:

Marco is onboard the classes will book up very quickly, as will his meal - it was fully booked by around 14:00 on embarkation day and certainly at that time you could not book in advance.

What was his meal? Where was it held and how many spaces? I know he has menu options for the MDR on regular cruises and will do the odd cookery class onboard Britannia but have not heard of the meal before so please tell me more.

Two of my daughters took the chocolate class back in 2016 and worked as a pair. They made truffles and some other chocolate concoction and they said it was great fun. We were eating them for days afterwards! 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

What was his meal? Where was it held and how many spaces? I know he has menu options for the MDR on regular cruises and will do the odd cookery class onboard Britannia but have not heard of the meal before so please tell me more.

The meal is held in the Cookery Club and from memory there are 20 or 24 guests. Everyone sits at one long table (not as bad as it sounds) with Marco at the head.

The meal will depend on what Marco can find when he goes searching in the stores but we started with lobster soup made with 14 lobsters (not sure where he found them as there was no sign of lobster on any menu!) followed by a fillet steak that could feed an army and was cooked to perfection and finished off with a very wobbly panna cotta (my wife does not like panna cotta but ate it all).

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to book a meal with, imo the unfairly disgraced/removed, Atul Kochhar when he was onboard doing staff audit and training. Similar to when Marco and other food heroes are onboard there is a leaflet left in your room with the rest advertising a meal or 2.It comes up on cruise personaliser that they are onboard before the cruise. After brief discussion with the wife whom wasn't keen, I booked the 2 of us onto the available meal within 15 min of us getting into our cabin - happened to be the second one at 50£ish a head I think. I told her if you don't want to go I'll go by myself and eat his supervised cooked dishes with him.... There were 20 or so sat on a long table - he sat 1 end first half and swapped to other end 2nd half. The food in Sindhu that night was superb with wines for each course as selected by Atul - I can imagine a meal with any of the food heroes will be great but not cheap. However when will you ever get the chance again... 

• Like 1

James Martin was the chef when we sailed back fr o m the Caribbean in 2018,we used to bump into him most nights after he finished as we made our way from the Crows Nest to our cabin at the blunt end!