Princess Cruise: Why is this not popular? Aix-en-Provence & Lourmarin On Your Own

MudderBear

Most of the excursions in Marsailles have been sold out for quite a while, while this tour (on Princess for $79) seems to always have tickets available.

Is there anything wrong with this excursion?  I am slightly afraid that because it is "on your own" that we could get lost in the cities....would love to hear about others who have done this excursion?  Thank you.

I haven't done this excursion, but I have been to Aix. You won't get lost. I imagine you will get dropped off right outside the historic center, where there's a bus station, and the historic center is where you want to spend your time. It's a fantastic old town, and yes, while there are twisty streets that could be confusing without a map or your phone, it's really very compact - about one square mile - and it's unlikely that you'd ever be hopelessly lost. There's also a little electric microbus public transportation service that circulates throughout the old town, and many or even most of the routes end up on or near the Cœur Mirabeau, which is close to where I expect you'd be dropped off.

Aix is one of our favorite spots in France, and would be #1 on our list for this part of France for those who have not visited before. It's a great strolling city - history, good food and drink, open-air daily markets in many or even most of the major public squares - what's not to love?

Lourmarin I have not visited - we are actually going there on an excursion this summer, though on Regent rather than Princess - and from what I have seen, it is small and charming - fall smaller than the center of Aix, even.

Watch some videos on each of the towns. If they look interesting to you, go for it!

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Most of the excursions in Marsailles have been sold out for quite a while, while this tour (on Princess for $79) seems to always have tickets available.

It may be due to the shorex being an  "on your own" excursion where the coach will drop you at a location and tell you where and at what time to return to the coach for the journey back to Fos, or in this instance to head to Lourmarin if it is the last stop.

Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of being dropped off and left to do their own thing,I think  lacking confidence when it is in a country whose language they neither speak nor understand.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

Aix is a wonderful town to wander around on your own!  

I think the Aix-en-Provence tour may not be that popular because one of the star attractions at Aix - the Atelier de Cezanne - is closed until spring 2025. There's still lots to see in Aix! 

In might be not that popular because it is basically not a tour but an expensive shuttle to those places and nothing else....it might be cheaper (if you are a couple of people to share a taxi instead) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, onyx007 said:

In might be not that popular because it is basically not a tour but an expensive shuttle to those places and nothing else....it might be cheaper (if you are a couple of people to share a taxi instead) 

Marseille to Aix is 17 miles. Aix to Lourmarin is 24 miles. Lourmarin to Marseille is 44 miles. Taxi or Uber would most definitely be more expensive than $79.

Posted (edited)

The tour will probably drop you off at the Aix tourist office, that might have a self guided walking tour map. There are walking tours from the tourist office every morning. Check out the Hotel de Caumont because it’s going to have a Pierre Bonnard exhibit that looks great. Book reservations first, 

Edited by GreenFamily

On 4/11/2024 at 6:51 PM, Chateaunole-du-pape said:

Marseille to Aix is 17 miles. Aix to Lourmarin is 24 miles. Lourmarin to Marseille is 44 miles. Taxi or Uber would most definitely be more expensive than $79.

79 is per Person - so if you get 4 people it's already 316 Euros = a taxi/uber you only pay once and not per Person....of course if you are on your own the tour might be cheaper, but if you are more people, then the bill looks not the same...

9 hours ago, onyx007 said:

79 is per Person - so if you get 4 people it's already 316 Euros = a taxi/uber you only pay once and not per Person....of course if you are on your own the tour might be cheaper, but if you are more people, then the bill looks not the same...

True enough. For two people, the tour is probably cheaper and gives you the additional assurance of not missing the ship. If you're four, then yes, perhaps the savings would make the risk worthwhile...