Do we need to know how to swim for the baths?

Derbie

I am not a great swimmer, and my DH can't really swim at all.  Although, he swears he can swim with fins on.  Anyway, I read a post where someone said the water can be quite deep with the tide is coming in, at one point in the Baths.  This may be the turning on point on what we do in port.  Also, how long does it take (on average) to go through the Baths?  Can anyone advise?  If this is the case, we may pass and research other options.  We would like to have a beach day on either the port of Tortola, or St. Kitts. If you have an opinion on this as well, it will be much appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance,

20 hours ago, blue_water said:

What are your port times, and date you are on Tortola please?

We will be in port May 23rd, 2024.  9:00 am until 6:00 pm.

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 2:16 PM, Derbie said:

I am not a great swimmer, and my DH can't really swim at all.  Although, he swears he can swim with fins on.  Anyway, I read a post where someone said the water can be quite deep with the tide is coming in, at one point in the Baths.  This may be the turning on point on what we do in port.  Also, how long does it take (on average) to go through the Baths?  Can anyone advise?  If this is the case, we may pass and research other options.  We would like to have a beach day on either the port of Tortola, or St. Kitts. If you have an opinion on this as well, it will be much appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance,

I don’t think you have anything to worry about as far as the water being deep, and how long it takes really depends on how big the crowd is that is with you. Maybe plan 1 hour in the boulders + the hike down and back up to the Top of the Baths, or 1.5 hrs? The ferry is ~30 minutes each way, and a taxi between the ferry dock and Top of the Baths is 10 - 15 minutes each way…

The Baths is a unique experience and very popular with cruise ship passengers, and there’s no easy way to avoid your fellow cruisers wanting the same experience. Having said that, with longer port times you can often avoid the biggest crowd by going on your own, versus the cruise line excursions, and use the services of a taxi driver to guide you while on Virgin Gorda.

But with your 9AM arrival your ferry options are limited to the Speedy’s 10:40AM over, and 3:30PM return, giving you ~3.5 hours of useable time on the island. Definitely enough time to experience the Baths and get back to port well before BOB time. I don’t know if the cruise line charters an earlier ferry, or if those folks will be going with you…An answer to that would help guide your decision…

But you would be fine if you choose to go over.

If you decide on a beach day, Tortola would be our choice between Tortola and St Kitt’s, especially with your port times. Smuggler’s Cove would be our first choice, Brewers Bay our second…

[EDIT] I would read @pyropoodle’s post from March, 2023, very informative post on the Baths!

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

I don’t think you have anything to worry about as far as the water being deep, and how long it takes really depends on how big the crowd is that is with you. Maybe plan 1 hour in the boulders + the hike down and back up to the Top of the Baths, or 1.5 hrs? The ferry is ~30 minutes each way, and a taxi between the ferry dock and Top of the Baths is 10 - 15 minutes each way…

The Baths is a unique experience and very popular with cruise ship passengers, and there’s no easy way to avoid your fellow cruisers wanting the same experience. Having said that, with longer port times you can often avoid the biggest crowd by going on your own, versus the cruise line excursions, and use the services of a taxi driver to guide you while on Virgin Gorda.

But with your 9AM arrival your ferry options are limited to the Speedy’s 10:40AM over, and 3:30PM return, giving you ~3.5 hours of useable time on the island. Definitely enough time to experience the Baths and get back to port well before BOB time. I don’t know if the cruise line charters an earlier ferry, or if those folks will be going with you…An answer to that would help guide your decision…

If you decide on a beach day, Tortola would be our choice between Tortola and St Kitt’s, especially with your port times. Smuggler’s Cove would be our first choice, Brewers Bay our second…

[EDIT] I would read @pyropoodle’s post from March, 2023, very informative post on the Baths!

Many, many kind thanks!  Such great information.  I will dig a bit further and make a game plan.  A roll call passenger also recommended doing a beach day in Tortola.  Again, your advice is sincerely appreciated!

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:51 AM, blue_water said:

I think we may consider Smugglers Cove for our time in port.  Given our timeframe, do you recommend a specific taxi?  Should we attempt to reserve in advance?  Thanks again for your superior assistance!

We don’t have a favorite driver anymore. But I would just grab a taxi when you arrive. A driver should confirm he/she will return at a time you choose. I’d probably look for another couple on our Roll Call to share the taxi.

one note - I’m seeing that cruise lines (not sure how many) offer a Jeep tour to Smuggler’s now. I don’t know how long they stay there. But it’s really a shame as Smuggler’s is one of the last remaining beaches not overtaken by crowds on cruise ship days…

• Like 1

The water depth was fine when we went through them; perhaps it would be deeper with a high tide.  The beach area where you come out of the Baths, however, had quite large waves with an undertow.  I'm an experienced swimmer, was a life guard and gave swim lessons and I did not feel safe swimming there.

Also, the trip through the Baths is wonderful, but not for any one with physical or medical problems, especially mobility.  

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The water depth was fine when we went through them; perhaps it would be deeper with a high tide.  The beach area where you come out of the Baths, however, had quite large waves with an undertow.  I'm an experienced swimmer, was a life guard and gave swim lessons and I did not feel safe swimming there.

Also, the trip through the Baths is wonderful, but not for any one with physical or medical problems, especially mobility.  

Thank you for the valuable information.  It will certainly help us make our decision. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, we’ve seen strong swimmers swim in to the Baths from moored cats to the right of the boulders and be exhausted from the current or undertow.

Regarding Smuggler’s Cove, we wouldn’t be concerned about the cruise line Jeep excursion. Sounds like a small group and they are not there long.

And Miss Patricia is there serving her famous burgers, chicken, and salads (her potato salad is deelish)! Not to mention great drinks and cold beers. She is our favorite vendor on the island.

Nigel has also been a fixture there, but you want to have Patricia take care of you. I just learned that her husband, Bush, is a talented chef and is sometimes her cook!

And there will be a portapotty or two so you have everything you need! 😉 Gorgeous beach and water and beautiful views…

Edited by blue_water

On 4/20/2024 at 8:51 AM, blue_water said:

Yes, we’ve seen strong swimmers swim in to the Baths from moored cats to the right of the boulders and be exhausted from the current or undertow.

Regarding Smuggler’s Cove, we wouldn’t be concerned about the cruise line Jeep excursion. Sounds like a small group and they are not there long.

And Miss Patricia is there serving her famous burgers, chicken, and salads (her potato salad is deelish)! Not to mention great drinks and cold beers. She is our favorite vendor on the island.

Nigel has also been a fixture there, but you want to have Patricia take care of you. I just learned that her husband, Bush, is a talented chef and is sometimes her cook!

And there will be a portapotty or two so you have everything you need! 😉 Gorgeous beach and water and beautiful views…

We plan on making this our go to for Tortola.  I can't thank you enough!  I would like to inquire, if you arrange the taxi for return, when you are dropped off at the cove?  I am always a little worried about someone really coming back for us, and no current taxi flow to a specific spot.  I would hate to be a pier runner!  :0)

10 minutes ago, Derbie said:

We plan on making this our go to for Tortola.  I can't thank you enough!  I would like to inquire, if you arrange the taxi for return, when you are dropped off at the cove?  I am always a little worried about someone really coming back for us, and no current taxi flow to a specific spot.  I would hate to be a pier runner!  :0)

That is the one concern most have and for good reason, although I’ve never once read of someone being left at SC…Most people will pay the driver on the return and that would be the best option for you if a driver agrees.

I’m thinking that Patricia could also call her favorite driver too. There are taxis based at Long Bay Resort and Sebastian’s which you pass enroute to Smuggler’s. So the worst-case would be making the 20-minute, 1.5km walk to the LB Resort to grab a taxi.

But I really don’t expect you to have a problem…Let me see if I can find out if Patricia can assure your return…

Friends who have been recently are not concerned as drivers routinely return at a specified time for them and others. So even if Patricia can’t call you should be fine. And with the Long Bay Resort being so close I would not be worried as long as you give yourself time. And I know that if you saw a private driver they would stop for you as it is a very friendly island 😉

Enjoy your time there!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the Apex Nov 30 sailing, which includes our first visit to Tortola. I do see two ship excursions: The Baths, Swim and Snorkel (which indicates a 300-yard swim) and Explore Virgin Gorda Baths (which has no mention of a swim, but says "Participants must be able to walk down an inclined 300 yard trail over stones and wooden steps.")

My wife is not a strong swimmer, so I suspect the first option is totally out for us. Can anyone with knowledge confirm the second option doesn't have a long swim required?