Getting to Victoria, BC from Canada Place

We will be coming off HAL Noordam on August 4th and would like to get to Victoria, BC as quickly and as reasonably economical as possible. We will have luggage so I have ruled out a float plane for $400+pp. From my research we can do the Wilson transfer for $98pp but it is a 4 1/2 hour trip. Could we do the trip ala cart on our own for about the same price but save a few hours??? Any thing I may be missing or other suggestions. TIA

You haven't factor in the time it takes to get to the ferry going both ways. That will add at least 90 minutes + the ferry ride is taking a little longer these days as they are taking a different route because of problems with a couple of the ferries on the route.

Dennis

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EChamp66 said:

We will be coming off HAL Noordam on August 4th and would like to get to Victoria, BC as quickly and as reasonably economical as possible. We will have luggage so I have ruled out a float plane for $400+pp. From my research we can do the Wilson transfer for $98pp but it is a 4 1/2 hour trip. Could we do the trip ala cart on our own for about the same price but save a few hours??? Any thing I may be missing or other suggestions. TIA

You're options for getting to limited when travelling with baggage. In addition to the harbour to harbour float plane service, you also have Helijet from Vancouver Harbour to Ogden Point, but that is most likely not a viable option due to baggage.

Therefore, your flight options are commercial airlines YVR to Victoria International, with Air Canada and Pacific Coastal Airlines both having flights. Sorry, but have no idea on costs.

The other option is taking the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. The Wilson Connector is a bus service that goes from downtown to downtown. It will depart Vancouver about 90 mins before the ferry departs, so about 09:30 to catch the 11:00 ferry. The ferry arrives in Swartz Bay about 12:35 and it takes about an hour from docking to arriving in downtown Victoria. So leaving Vancouver at 09:30, you would arrive Victoria about 13:30, provided the ferry is on time.

You can also reach Tsawwassen Ferry terminal using a combination of Skytrain and buses, and then on arrival Swartz Bay you can also catch a city bus into downtown. These options are cheaper, but take more time. Not an easy option with baggage.

Another option is hiring a car, which may get you to the ferry terminal faster, but you must arrive 30 - 60 minutes before departure to maintain a reservation. I'll suggest making a reservation is mandatory. The Wilson Bus does not have this 30 - 60 min arrival and if late, the ferry often waits for the bus. This is a more costly option, as in addition to car hire costs, you must also pay for the car + foot passengers on the ferry. 

All in all, with baggage, I'll suggest the Wilson Connector is the most convenient and cost effective option.

• Like 1

For convenience, cruise lines often have a package that goes to Victoria as a pre or post tour package. Probably not cheap but it would be the easiest with luggage.

I also was going to mention commercial airlines (Air Canada) but the Vancouver airport would waste a few hours of your time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

For convenience, cruise lines often have a package that goes to Victoria as a pre or post tour package. Probably not cheap but it would be the easiest with luggage.

I also was going to mention commercial airlines (Air Canada) but the Vancouver airport would waste a few hours of your time.

Edited to say I knew cruise lines did this last year. I am looking this year and do not see it listed. Princess was one that did it last year so I assumed HAL did also. 

• Like 1

I think you've got just about every possible option listed (other than even more expensive ones like a one-way Whalewatch or chartering your own floatplane)!

In short - if you schlep your own bags onto SkyTrain, then 620 transit bus to the ferry, then another transit bus on the other end into Victoria you'll pay only <$30 each and in theory because you can leave immediately you will be at the ferry terminal earlier than the BCFConnector coach service... ditto if you rent a car quickly (some offices downtown open 8am, you could be on the road by 8:30 and at the ferry terminal maybe an hour later - except that morning traffic flow through the tunnel is ALWAYS 3 lanes into town, 1 lane out and delays can get ridiculous).

All-in-all there's a decent chance, but no guarantees, than you could make the 10am ferry going DIY - which does run on Sunday Aug 4th assuming no staffing or repair issues, both of which have been impacting BC Ferries ever since Covid - so transiting or rental car-driving to it would get you into Vic maybe an hour earlier than the coach... but I agree with Andy that all things considered, best to just book Wilsons unless you have Island plans which involve your own car. If you do need a rental, there's a LOT more competition here than in Vic so odds are you'll find a better rental price if you're returning to the mainland to fly home...

• Like 1