Onboard Credits

17 minutes ago, phil_daly said:

I have these identified in my HAL account. How do I use them?

They are ON BOARD credits. To be used ON BOARD. Calling HAL will not let you use them before being on board.

However, some (even many) report buying either excursions or dining etc with credit card and having the sums being converted to OBC at either the ShoreEx desk or the Front Desk, respectively, once on your cruise. I have not done so, so only passing on the info.

Posted (edited)

My account also shows an “available” OBC that is not tied to a particular reservation. It looks the same as the first one on your list and comes from linking my AARP number to my HAL account. To apply it to a specific reservation, just book a new cruise and it will be automatically applied (at least in theory). No option to apply it to an existing reservation.

That expiration date is related to the time you linked the accounts. Also, the $50 is the smallest amount of OBC one could get with AARP membership. Longer trips are given more OBC. I think our 15-day transpacific qualified for $200.

I don’t know about your second OBC item, but with an expiration date for booking and sailing, is it possibly related to credit from a cancelled cruise? If so, I think that would also be applied when booking anew cruise and not applied to an existing reservation. 

Edited by ExArkie

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

My account also shows an “available” OBC that is not tied to a particular reservation. It looks the same as the first one on your list and comes from linking my AARP number to my HAL account. To apply it to a specific reservation, just book a new cruise and it will be automatically applied (at least in theory). No option to apply it to an existing reservation.

That expiration date is related to the time you linked the accounts. Also, the $50 is the smallest amount of OBC one could get with AARP membership. Longer trips are given more OBC. I think our 15-day transpacific qualified for $200.

I don’t know about your second OBC item, but with an expiration date for booking and sailing, is it possibly related to credit from a cancelled cruise? If so, I think that would also be applied when booking anew cruise and not applied to an existing reservation. 

Thanks for that, very helpful. I think I worked it out: the $250 is the shareholder benefit for a 14+ day cruise (and we're off to Norway in a few weeks). HAL now uses an app called StockPerks to verify shareownership and the amount and timing of that onboard credit does indeed line up with my application for the shareholder benefit. Thanks, again.

15 hours ago, phil_daly said:

I have these identified in my HAL account. How do I use them? Do I have to call HAL and ask to apply them to an existing booking?

image.png

May I ask where you looked for this to find it ?

41 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

May I ask where you looked for this to find it ?

I logged in and went to 'My Account' and from there to 'Future Cruise Credits'. From

there scroll down as they were at the bottom of the page! Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, phil_daly said:

I logged in and went to 'My Account' and from there to 'Future Cruise Credits'. From

there scroll down as they were at the bottom of the page! Hope that helps.

Thank you