Interior to balcony free upgrade - Free at Sea perks

I originally booked a NCL getaway cruise in an interior room with the free at sea promo. After making the full payment the price went down and I was able to get a free upgrade to the balcony room since the balcony room is now cheaper than what I had originally pay for. However, I noticed that my reservation did not update the dining from 1 meal to 2 meals which other balcony bookings usually get. Is this expected? How do I get NCL to include the second meal now that I’m in the balcony category?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, First traveler said:

I originally booked a NCL getaway cruise in an interior room with the free at sea promo. After making the full payment the price went down and I was able to get a free upgrade to the balcony room since the balcony room is now cheaper than what I had originally pay for. However, I noticed that my reservation did not update the dining from 1 meal to 2 meals which other balcony bookings usually get. Is this expected? How do I get NCL to include the second meal now that I’m in the balcony category?

You can always ask NCL or your travel agent. However, my understanding was that when you upgrade rooms, you don't get the benefits of the upgrade. (But that may only be if you bid on an upgrade) Did NCL send you anything detailing what you receive with the upgraded room?

Edited by DCGuy64

I would call them and ask them.  I would ask them if they can give you the 2nd day since you are in a balcony now.  Or ask if you can "cancel" your original booking and rebook at the new price.  Ask them to waive the cancellation fees since you aren't really cancelling.

And honestly, if the first agent says no, call back and hope the next agent is understanding. 

When you upgrade, you retain the original perks. In this case, it would be the one meal. After final payment, you were lucky enough to get a balcony, so I would be thankful that they were giving me that and not upset that i didn't get another free meal!

After final payment, the cruise line is under no obligation to give you anything at all, and sure, prices get reduced when you get closer to sail date, That's the nature of the beast.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Guindalf said:

After final payment due date, you were lucky enough to get a balcony, so I would be thankful that they were giving me that and not upset that i didn't get another free meal!

8 hours ago, Guindalf said:

After final payment due date, the cruise line is under no obligation to give you anything at all, and sure, prices get reduced when you get closer to sail date, That's the nature of the beast.

FIFY.  The OP only indicated that he/she had made final payment, but didn't tell us if it was at or before the final payment due date.  Some people pay in full when they book and have months to make any changes that they wish to.  The fact that they were able to upgrade to a cheaper cabin suggests it is before final payment due date.  NCL doesn't allow upgrades to better cabins unless the passenger has to pay more.  It can be very little.  I once upgraded from an inside to an ocean view a few weeks prior to sailing for $1.58.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I did make payment after final payment is due. It’s a strange rule since FAS is still a valid ongoing promotion and if I were to rebook I would’ve got the 2 meals instead of 1. 

25 minutes ago, First traveler said:

Thanks everyone. I did make payment after final payment is due. It’s a strange rule since FAS is still a valid ongoing promotion and if I were to rebook I would’ve got the 2 meals instead of 1. 

But you say it was AFTER final pay due date. So you could not have cancelled and rebooked without penalty!

9 hours ago, Asawi said:

But you say it was AFTER final pay due date. So you could not have cancelled and rebooked without penalty!

There was a category that was like $50 more which allowed you to pick a deck and cabin which the cancellation fee is waived. However, i didn’t know that the automatic upgrade would’ve not update the FAS. It’s still the same  free at sea promotion so just weird that they would nickel and dime here. 

• Like 1

So you get a 'free' upgrade from an inside to a balcony after final payment (which I have never seen in many NCL cruises) and you are still complaining about nickel and diming?  Before you took the upgrade you could have asked the representative about the additional FAS dinner...if he/she had told you it wasn't included, would you have declined the cabin upgrade??

11 hours ago, First traveler said:

automatic upgrade

You had to call and ask, right? It wasn't an automatic upgrade.

11 hours ago, First traveler said:

There was a category that was like $50 more which allowed you to pick a deck and cabin which the cancellation fee is waived

I'm confused about this - NCL has refundable deposits right up to final payment, unlike another line that charges you extra if you want that option, I'm not sure what this is about waiving the cancellation fee?

I agree with @debenson0723 typically if you're getting a cabin upgrade because of a price drop AFTER FINAL PAYMENT the new cabin has to be at least $1 more than you paid for your original cabin.  At least that's been the policy...

8 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

So you get a 'free' upgrade from an inside to a balcony after final payment (which I have never seen in many NCL cruises) and you are still complaining about nickel and diming?  Before you took the upgrade you could have asked the representative about the additional FAS dinner...if he/she had told you it wasn't included, would you have declined the cabin upgrade??

I would’ve paid the $50 for the next cabin up and get both. Btw the free upgrade is very common and my TA say they do it all the time. It’s not automatic but you have to call. This is also documented somewhere in NCL. 

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

You had to call and ask, right? It wasn't an automatic upgrade.

I'm confused about this - NCL has refundable deposits right up to final payment, unlike another line that charges you extra if you want that option, I'm not sure what this is about waiving the cancellation fee?

I agree with @debenson0723 typically if you're getting a cabin upgrade because of a price drop AFTER FINAL PAYMENT the new cabin has to be at least $1 more than you paid for your original cabin.  At least that's been the policy...

Yes my TA called for me. The new cabin price was $700 less than what I paid for so they upgraded me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I originally booked an interior cabin on the NCL dawn ( middle east cruise last November) and in August the price dropped significantly.. I asked for repricing and they said no but I was allowed to " rebook" a balcony one by just paying the difference ( maybe here lies the difference) and I was given the FAS perks of the balcony 

• Like 1