Skara Brae

Anyone know if there are taxis (or other easy public transport) from Kirkwall port to Skara Brae?   We have a walking tour of the city in the morning but have a long day in port and were hoping to go to Skara Brae in the afternoon.

I'm not aware of any public transport (although there may be a bus service). It is pretty remote.

We hired a car for the day in Kirkwall and drove to Skara Brae. Well worth the trip and there are a couple of impressive stone circles en route as well.

Posted (edited)

the 8S bus takes about an hour from Kirkwall and the bus stop is at the visitors center at Skara Brae.  You can find out more info from here

https://www.orkney.gov.uk/Service-Directory/B/Bus-Services.htm

You might reconsider the option of the walking tour in favor of the ancient sites tours, if available.  I am planning a trip to Kirkwall in September and plan on using the bus.  I am not tied to a ships schedule , however.  Bus service is not frequent and involves a potential transfer, as you can see from the timetable.  The route is pretty scenic ,though

Edited by Meander Ingwa

Having been to Kirkwall as well as the many other sights on Orkney on a land trip, Skara Brae was far more interesting than anything to be seen in Kirkwall town itself.

I did a quick search and see at least one tour that would take you there (and to other neolithic sites and the Italian Chapel) from Kirkwall. There are also a few taxi companies and I'm fairly sure you could contract with one for a trip to Skara Brae.

Kirkwall is a charming city with a few worthy sightseeing items and a bunch of shops that are much lest touristy than most of the places we visited. But I agree with @gnome12 that the ancient sites are far more interesting. Strange that a city tour would be offered but not the other. We selected our northern Scotland tour because it spent a day and a half in the Orkneys, so we saw both. Maybe you should ditch the city tour for a full day exploring the ancient sites?