Scenic Cruising Question

Acorn27

Posted (edited)

We are looking to do an Ultimate Balcony Dinner during our Alaskan Cruise on Princess in later part of June ... thinking about doing it as we watch glaciers on one of our scenic cruising day (slated from 6 to 8:30 pm). 

Wondering if someone can tell us if the ship will be moving slow enough that it won't be too windy while we are sitting on the balcony for dinner.  Has anyone had a balcony dinner while scenic cruising?  If so, please let us know how it went.

Edited by Acorn27

Yes, it will be moving slowly, so the ship's moving won't cause much if any, wind. That doesn't mean it won't be windy, tho. Mother Nature has the final say.

Might be pretty cool, to cold, as well.

Glacier Bay is an exceptional choice for that. We typically do the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast on days we arrive early. We are doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise this summer and I’ve booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for one of scenic fjord cruising evenings that happens to coincide with my husband’s birthday. 

Thanks karatemom2 ... it is funny you mentioned Glacier Bay ... we were looking at doing it while we were cruising College Fjord but Glacier Bay would definitely be our back up plan.

Posted (edited)

Glacier Bay is cold and you may have rain.  The ship will sit in view of the glacier and turn port to starboard so everyone can see.  The ship will stop near Gustavus to disembark the pilots on the way out.  I sit out on the balcony in Glacier Bay with gloves, hat, and a cozy blanket.  I can’t imagine dining out there.  Is there a romantic restaurant onboard that offers scenic window seating?  Glacier Bay in summer is nothing like the Norwegian Fjords temperature wise.  It’s like sitting in an icebox.  OK, I see you @Acorn27 are from Minnesota.  Your perspective will differ from mine!  Enjoy your amazing Alaska cruise!

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Glacier Bay is cold and you may have rain.  The ship will sit in view of the glacier and turn port to starboard so everyone can see.  The ship will stop near Gustavus to disembark the pilots on the way out.  I sit out on the balcony in Glacier Bay with gloves, hat, and a cozy blanket.  I can’t imagine dining out there.  Is there a romantic restaurant onboard that offers scenic window seating?  Glacier Bay in summer is nothing like the Norwegian Fjords temperature wise.  It’s like sitting in an icebox.  OK, I see you @Acorn27 are from Minnesota.  Your perspective will differ from mine!  Enjoy your amazing Alaska cruise!

This is not always the case. We have been to Glacier Bay at least 10 times over the past 20 years at all different times from May through August. Only once, on our very first visit was it so rainy and cold that it was pretty miserable being outside.

Most other trips have been cool, but lovely, maybe a cloud or a sprinkle but nothing uncomfortable. One year in July it was so hot people were admiring the scenery from poolside in bathing suits. You just never know. We have done the Ultimate Balcony breakfast twice in Glacier Bay and thoroughly enjoyed every second on our balcony. We generally spend the entire day outside looking at the scenery and searching for wildlife. 

Photo below was our last visit in May of ‘22 and we could not have asked for a more beautiful day. We can’t wait for our next visit this coming September!

IMG_8931.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Karatemom2 … thanks for sharing your experiences!  It gives me hope that our plans for a dinner on the balcony while watching glaciers may still work (just have to hope Mother Nature cooperates and gives us a great day like yours was).

PS … your picture was amazing!  Can’t wait for our chance to see them in person!

Edited by Acorn27
  • Like 2