New Brazil visa requirements — for citizens of Australia, Canada, US

Marylebone37

https://edition.cnn.com/brazil-visa-us-citizens/index.html

From April 10, 2025, citizens from Australia, Canada and the US will need a visa to enter the country.  You'll have to upload your last three checking or savings account statements, or your last six payslips, and travelers will need an average of at least $2,000 showing in their account. Those who don’t meet the requirements must get a sponsor to sign for them, showing their finances instead.

Good luck with this, Brazil!

This is good news as the original date was January 1, 2024; then April 10, 2024.  We will see what happens in 2025.  The delays affecting January 1 and April 10, 2024 were last minute announcements. The most recent decree was signed on April 9.  

2 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

https://edition.cnn.com/brazil-visa-us-citizens/index.html

From April 10, 2025, citizens from Australia, Canada and the US will need a visa to enter the country.  You'll have to upload your last three checking or savings account statements, or your last six payslips, and travelers will need an average of at least $2,000 showing in their account. Those who don’t meet the requirements must get a sponsor to sign for them, showing their finances instead.

Good luck with this, Brazil!

15 minutes ago, milolii said:

This is good news as the original date was January 1, 2024; then April 10, 2024.  We will see what happens in 2025.  The delays affecting January 1 and April 10, 2024 were last minute announcements. The most recent decree was signed on April 9.  

Nothing new here.

Look a few lines down the page on this board and you'll see a thread titled "Brazil VISA" with over 300 posts. The visa requirement has been a hot topic of discussion since early October.

The postponement of the starting date to April 10 was announced months ago.

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Nothing new here.

Look a few lines down the page on this board and you'll see a thread titled "Brazil VISA" with over 300 posts. The visa requirement has been a hot topic of discussion since early October.

The postponement of the starting date to April 10 was announced months ago.

My apologies...obviously I totally misread the change in effective date for the visa from April 10 2024 to April 10 2025. Thought  you were talking about the change from January to April 2024.

Obviously this development is new. My bad.

Posted (edited)

@njhorseman, no worries.  This is good news for those completing their traveling before April 10, 2025. 

@Marylebone37 The US has similar requirements for citizens of Brazil requesting US visas, including proof of financial stability.  Who knows what will happen, but some of the main reasons for the delays seem to be  difficultly navigating and errors with the application process. Those are well documented in the other thread mentioned above. 

Edited by milolii

I just can't imagine uploading bank statements or pay stubs to a foreign web site.  Talk about the risk of fraud or identity theft!  OMG.  But I understand that travelers will make their own decisions based on their individual risk tolerances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

I just can't imagine uploading bank statements or pay stubs to a foreign web site.  Talk about the risk of fraud or identity theft!  OMG.  But I understand that travelers will make their own decisions based on their individual risk tolerances.

I agree, we had decided not to visit Rio de Janeiro and Iguazu Falls ahead of our January, 2025, Buenos Aires RT cruise.   That bank statement requirement was a big part of our decision. Now we are reconsidering the pre cruise trip.  

10 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

4 hours ago, milolii said:

I agree, we had decided not to visit Rio de Janeiro and Iguazu Falls ahead of our January, 2025, Buenos Aires RT cruise.   That bank statement requirement was a big part of our decision. Now we are reconsidering the pre cruise trip.  

NCLH was providing financial responsibility letters to its passengers (NCL, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas) that Brazil agreed to accept in lieu of bank statements. There's documentation of that, including a link the letter provided  to its passengers on the lengthy "Brazil VISA" thread that's a couple of lines further down the board. Here's a link to what was provided:

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2023-12/cruise-line-declaration.pdf

Perhaps other cruise lines were doing the same, or will be next year.

6 hours ago, milolii said:

If you can fit in Iguazu Falls from the Argentine side it's also fabulous.  Flying from BA to IGR is really easy.  Staying at the Melia Iguazu is amazing.  I didn't want to leave.  Cherie