RCL land tour 7A Seaward Denali Fairbanks info – Denali Wilderness tour

dccruisin

We are booked on the May 17th sailing of the RCL Radiance and taking the 7A land tour that includes Denali. 

Does anyone know if RCL offers an upgrade to the Denali Wilderness Tour from the included Denali Historical tour? 

I know there was a rock slide and the Wilderness tour only goes to mile marker 43 but still would like to take the wilderness tour. 

Also, if anyone has info, tips or experiences from the RCL tour to  Denali the information would be very appreciated. 

I have read Cruislvr04’s very detailed posting of their 7B tour in 2023 that was helpful. 

Thanks,

Linda

Posted (edited)

What day will you be at Denali? The road generally is not open far in May.

June 1 used to be the magic day but with the road closure, it maybe sooner as they are not going as far.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

June 1 used to be the magic day but with the road closure, it maybe sooner as they are not going as far.

It will be May 28th.  I checked the NP site and they start the tours in mid-May.   Linda

1 hour ago, Coral said:

We have the Tundra Wilderness Tour booked for 5/28.  The NPS website has posted these dates for 2024: 

Screenshot 2024-04-12 1.53.48 PM.png

It must be due to the limited route on the Tundra Wilderness tour as it was always June 1st before the rockslide.

Definitely book it before you arrive through your agent or cruise line (however you book).

6 hours ago, dccruisin said:

Do you have to wait until we are on the tour or can you do it ahead of time?

On Princess you go thru your TA or wait for the tour to begin.  I don’t know about RCI.

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

I know we can on our own book the Wilderness tour directly via the NP vendor but that costs $144 a person.  Since we have the Historical tour via our cruise tour package (which shows a $116.25 price.)  I was trying to find out if anyone who has taken the RCL cruise tour if RCL offers an upgrade at some nominal difference in price or not before I fork out $144 a person for the wilderness tour.  

I contacted my TA and she does not show any details about the land tour except what is posted as the general information.  From what I can find, the optional excursion information is generally not available until you are on the tour.  Just looking for people's past experience. 

Thanks, Linda 

6 hours ago, dccruisin said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

I know we can on our own book the Wilderness tour directly via the NP vendor but that costs $144 a person.  Since we have the Historical tour via our cruise tour package (which shows a $116.25 price.)  I was trying to find out if anyone who has taken the RCL cruise tour if RCL offers an upgrade at some nominal difference in price or not before I fork out $144 a person for the wilderness tour.  

I contacted my TA and she does not show any details about the land tour except what is posted as the general information.  From what I can find, the optional excursion information is generally not available until you are on the tour.  Just looking for people's past experience. 

Thanks, Linda 

Have your agent call the cruise line to see if an upgrade is available. If she doesn't know - she needs to find out. Princess allows people to upgrade. I don't know about RCCL.

I vaguely remember some lines would not upgrade individuals or give them a refund if they cancel and then book on their own. I just don't remember which lines and this was before COVID so outdated info.

• Like 1

The land tour and the cruise lines are two separate entities that don’t talk to each other.  I would be really surprised if you could find anyone at the cruise line who could accomplish the switch.  Once you’re on the tour, it’s relatively easy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

The land tour and the cruise lines are two separate entities that don’t talk to each other.  I would be really surprised if you could find anyone at the cruise line who could accomplish the switch.  Once you’re on the tour, it’s relatively easy.

Maybe in May. I know several who have tried in June - August and they were unable to. They were sold out.

I know it is easy with Princess and HAL to do beforehand. It just takes an agent who knows how.

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

That is the picture that I am getting with RCL.  The land tour people don't tell you anything until you get to their tour.  Read Cruislvr04 review of the 7B tour.  They arrived late in the day before the tour started and by the time they got there some of the excursions they would have liked to take were full by people that had arrived earlier in the day.