Disembarkation process in Reykjavik-2 days in port.

If anyone has finished a cruise in Reykjavik, we will be in port 2-days, day before end of cruise and the end of cruise the next day. Does anyone know if there is a different disembarkation process on end of cruise day? We have a 10:00 flight from KEF which means with the 55min trip to airport, we would need to depart the ship around 6:00am!

I'm curious, too, although I decided not to chance missing a flight and booked our flight out for the day following the disembarkation. We'll stay overnight at the Aurora Hotel, which is walking distance from KEF.

2 hours ago, SubmarineMark said:

If anyone has finished a cruise in Reykjavik, we will be in port 2-days, day before end of cruise and the end of cruise the next day. Does anyone know if there is a different disembarkation process on end of cruise day? We have a 10:00 flight from KEF which means with the 55min trip to airport, we would need to depart the ship around 6:00am!

The issue is less about when the ship will let you disembark and more about when the local authorities come on duty at the port terminal.  You will need to go through passport control before leaving for the airport, and those border patrol / customs agents may not be available to check your documents in time for you to get to your 10:00 AM flight.  If you can possibly fit it into your schedule, you may want to take the suggestion from @Ellis1138 and spend an extra day in Iceland.

Good point on the port guys, I failed to mention that we took the NCL air program, so first, NCL booked this fiasco, second we are unable to change due to the NCL air rules! This is the first time booking air through a cruise line, probably won’t do it again.

I know there are people who do fine and save lots of money with NCL's air, but I like to have control over it. Also, it's easier to do the price drops, cabin switches and FCC if you only book the cruise through NCL and no flights or hotels.

I do not have experience with this situation, but as you are there the day before I expect all formalities like passports etc will happen on day 1. This has always been my experience with overnight ports if formalities were required.

You also don't say where your stop previous is, if within the EU, no formalities like passports should be required as you would have been "landed" in a previous port/country and they will just sort your exit at the airport.

Thank you Cliffy97. It is a European tour. The stop before is also in Iceland. 4 total days in Iceland with Reykjavik being the last 2 days. I was hoping if anyone has done this cruise they could put my mind to rest!

12 hours ago, SubmarineMark said:

Good point on the port guys, I failed to mention that we took the NCL air program, so first, NCL booked this fiasco, second we are unable to change due to the NCL air rules! This is the first time booking air through a cruise line, probably won’t do it again.

Didn't your air also come with transfers?  If so, I wouldn't be concerned.  NCL probably needs to get many passengers to your same flight.

We were there last July in your same type of itinerary.  I know that some people left the first evening and didn't spend the night.  Since our flight wasn't until 4 pm we did a tour of the town with a drop off at the airport at noon.  I think the ship clears customs when it arrives and you can self walk off as early as you need to.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 3:25 PM, SubmarineMark said:

That is interesting. On our roll call from our cruise that ended in Reykjavik this past August, there were people who complained that NCL would not book them for flights this early and booked them for flights the next day.