Sip. Tour. Brunch.

Looks like a fun way to kill a couple hours at sea on the last day.  Under "Important details and advisements" it lists "Wear closed-toe shoes."  Do you think they enforce this?  Wasn't planning on packing closed-toe shoes.  Thanks

5 minutes ago, PokrChick said:

Looks like a fun way to kill a couple hours at sea on the last day.  Under "Important details and advisements" it lists "Wear closed-toe shoes."  Do you think they enforce this?  Wasn't planning on packing closed-toe shoes.  Thanks

I've been on other galley tours and it was enforced. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doghog said:

I've been on other galley tours and it was enforced. 

Thank you so much.  Guess I'm packing an extra pair of shoes.  Glad I noticed it!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, PokrChick said:

I'm sure it's enforced -- it's a safety rule, as you'll be in a kitchen /around possible spills.  I think it requires long pants too.

My daughter and I're doing this on our next cruise.  She reserved it for the two of us as a surprise -- I'm excited for it!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

56 minutes ago, hollon said:

has anyone done this tour, I know it's different than the "ultimate tour", what all do you get to see?

Dd and I did it recently.  It was fun but too brief. I enjoyed seeing the galley and wanted to see more.  Dh and I will do an all access tour soon so I can't yet compare.  

Brunch was a big part of it. 

20231201_113028.jpg

20231201_114301.jpg

20231201_114715.jpg

20231201_114753.jpg

20231201_114743.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm sure it's enforced -- it's a safety rule, as you'll be in a kitchen /around possible spills.  I think it requires long pants too.

Thank you for saying that!  I have got to learn to read everything.  It definitely says "No shorts or skirts may be worn in the Galley" and somehow I missed it.  First thing listed under "Important details and advisements."  How embarrassing!!

Hopefully capris are OK

Edited by PokrChick
spelling is important :-)

Required or not, I'd not go with open toed shoes. Imagine if a knife got knocked off a counter somehow and hit your toe. You'd miss your old friend...

I'm pretty sure that the person in the 2nd photo above is wearing sandals. We've taken the tour and people have been turned away for not wearing closed toe shoes. I guess it depends on the person leading the tour. 

31 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

I'm pretty sure that the person in the 2nd photo above is wearing sandals. We've taken the tour and people have been turned away for not wearing closed toe shoes. I guess it depends on the person leading the tour. 

I also see someone wearing shorts. 

37 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

Took the photos and honestly didn't even notice. I dont remember what I wore, but most likely shorts. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I think it requires long pants too.

Every galley tour I've taken I have always worn shorts and the vast majority also wore shorts. Nothing from RC stating shorts aren't allowed. 

Edited by doghog

3 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

Good catch. 

• Like 1

What a great a picture is worth a thousand words example. Guess it's safe to say it depends lol.

The last ship's tour I did was on Jewel and it was so long and detailed I thought we were being onboarded as employees. People started to drop off in the third hour. Others are more superficial. So yeah, it all depends.

Since my other photos were so popular here are two more. One shows a participant in shorts and one is the menu. 

I do think it's wise to follow the terms they had in writing.  Just because these folks didn't enforce it isn't a guarantee that'll happen again.  I dont remember what I wore tbh, but if I do it again I'll pay better attention to the warnings/rules. 

20231201_114546.jpg

20231201_115222.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting that we have photo evidence that the rule isn't always enforced.  Still, I am coming prepared with long pants and tennis shoes -- I'd be super-upset to miss out on this activity, and they'd be 100% in their rights to deny someone who comes dressed inappropriately.  

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Interesting that we have photo evidence that the rule isn't always enforced.  Still, I am coming prepared with long pants and tennis shoes -- I'd be super-upset to miss out on this activity, and they'd be 100% in their rights to deny someone who comes dressed inappropriately.  

I'm not suggesting but I have yet to see listed for the Galley Tours where shorts were listed as a no, no. Open toe shoes always listed as a no, no. 

20 minutes ago, doghog said:

I'm not suggesting but I have yet to see listed for the Galley Tours where shorts were listed as a no, no. Open toe shoes always listed as a no, no. 

From their website: 

Important details and advisements

• No shorts or skirts may be worn in the Galley.
  • Wear closed-toe shoes.
  • Video cameras are not permitted.
  • Purses and bags are not permitted.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

From their website: 

Important details and advisements

• No shorts or skirts may be worn in the Galley.
  • Wear closed-toe shoes.
  • Video cameras are not permitted.
  • Purses and bags are not permitted.

Yeah, the good ole' trusty website. 🙄 The call center reps would probably tell ya the same or not even agree with one another. 🤣 When I said I yet to see...I was specifically talking about the onboard (ship specific) listing. 

Posted (edited)

Similar but different....  dd also did sushi making and cupcake decorating, both of which advise you cannot take leftover food out of the restaurant. 

Both times she got containers for leftovers.  I am SURE their intentions are to keep people safe, but if my dd felt compelled to scarf down 3 giant cupcakes so none would be lost, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Probably more danger with leftover sushi but still....

Edited by sadiwest