Who has the best online service for pic posting?

Carl2860

I really prefer Smugmug.com as they have 6GB storage for very little money (they also have a free option with less memory) AND when you look at the galleries there are no ads! Also, you do not have to resize your pics and you just click and drag to upload. VERY easy! And I think the pictures on smugmug actually look BETTER than those on Yahoo, Webshots and other sites.

My pics are on Pbase. I've been using them for years and have never had any issues. Easy to use and inexpensive at $23/yr for 300mb.

Click on the photobar below to see what their site looks like.

I have used shutterfly, but for the last cruise I used snapfish as well.

I ordered photos from both places and also went to our local Target and a local camera shop (family owned) and had prints done. I have to say that Snapfish and Shutterfly did the best job of printing, and the colors were fabulous. I had a couple photos done at all places just to see what place would do the best job for future reference.

I also had a snapbook made through snapfish and it turned out very nice.

Here is the shutterfly link for our recent Serenade cruise. By the way, this was a new camera for me and I will NEVER ever forget to turn off the date. I had to reset the date every time I charge my battery and the date is off on some of the albums. Well, live and learn!

http://www.jlfcruise06.dell.shutterfly.com

• 3 weeks later...

I love http://www.fotki.com

It is really easy to use! The cost isn't too bad. My entire family uses this site even though my brother works for fugi .....LOL.

The cost to have them print and ship the photos is less than Wal-Mart.

I have been really happy with the site so far.... and it's been three years :)

• 1 month later...

We too, use Shutterfly, the photo storage is nice, you can add titles/descriptions to your photos. You can have the 'books' sent to folks to see, or put in open viewing.

You can also order from them, they frequently have discounts, free shipping, etc., and we have been pleased at the quality of prints we have received.

It is fast to upload and i'm pleased with the service - esp since the storage part is free! :D

I do it the hard way. I have my own Domain name and my own web space. I use a program on my compute to make the photo galleries and upload the whole thing to my website. I have complete control over how things look that way. I use http://www.allenhost.com as my web host.

Allenhost also has a photo gallery hosting service for people who only want a photogallery. It is easier to use and cost $33 a year. One of the good things about it is you can link directly to your image if you wish, so you can post individual photos here on CC just by linking to them. You can't do that on some of the "free" photo hosting sites.

I just had an awesome calendar made through Shutterfly. What a kick to see those cruise pictures in 8x10 everday on the wall. I also had an album made. I actually got a coupon 8 1/2 x 11 full page pcs I did in the album were so good. In the future, I am going to do an album from each cruise with the highlights from each day. (I will still do my huge scrapbook, but the album in a nice condensed version!)

I like having a seperate website designated for the particular event, as well.:) www.jlfcruise06.dell.shutterfly.com

I am looking for a site where someone can not come in and steal your photos or copy them but i can still port them for everyone to see, do any of the sites listed above have this feature?

I would hate to see one of my photos as a screen saver on someone elses computer.

I am looking for a site where someone can not come in and steal your photos or copy them but i can still port them for everyone to see, do any of the sites listed above have this feature?

I would hate to see one of my photos as a screen saver on someone elses computer.

If you want copyright protection for your photos, you are better off using your photo editing software to put a watermark on each photo, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

There are free sites like photobucket.com where you can also post pictures. I use smugmug.com like many of the other people here, but no one posted their code. If you use this code (YmZOJcuNj7DMQ) when you sign up it will save you $5 and save me $10 next year. So if you know someone with a smugmug acct ask for their code. What I like about smugmug was that there was no limit on the size of the files you upload, so I can put my full size images there. I did it last year to share pics with the people I met on the cruise last year from CC. You can make your galleries private so only people you want to see them can.

Karen

After struggling to maintain my own domain, I now use Flickr to store all my online albums and images.

It costs $24.95 a year with no storage limits. Your only restriction is amount of data you upload monthly... I think it's something like 2 GB. I've got almost 4,000 photos on my Flickr site and I've never come anywhere near using my 2 GB of bandwidth for the month.

Flickr also gives you control over who can see your photos, leave comments, and download them (to a point). Anything you throw online can be downloaded if the person wants it bad enough. As someone has already posted, putting a watermark on your images is your best weapon against somebody stealing your work.

You can also create and administer groups. For example, I've created a special group just for Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas. The group is a place where you have your own message forum and a photo pool for people to add their photos.

I wholeheartedly recommend Flickr if you're looking for a photo-hosting service. You can see my photos in the links in my signature.

• 4 weeks later...

How much does smugmug cost?

I am new to this digital picuture age and am actually in the process of downloading photos to the computer for the first time! It is exciting and scary at the same time. I am trying to put the pictures in a power point presentation to copy on disk and send pictures to relatives from a family reunion we just had. I promised so many people copies, so I will make them and send it, but in the future, this may be the way to go.

Lovetovacation, how much was the calendar?

Something like that seems great for the person has more than her share of money. LOL. I think she would love a calendar with family pic's!

Thanks,

How much does smugmug cost?

Lovetovacation, how much was the calendar?

Something like that seems great for the person has more than her share of money. LOL. I think she would love a calendar with family pic's!

Thanks,

The calendar was 18.99 for an 18 month. (Shutterfly) Both Shutterfly and Snapfish have the calendars. The pictures on one of the 8 1/2 x11 pages and then the calendar is on another page below.

This month is St.Lucia. I am enjoying it so much that I plan to do a new one each year!. I mostly have vacation pics with a few other things thrown in to commemortate anniversaries.

I have ordered a flip book from Snapfish- awesome and one of the covered albums from Shutterfly- free with my coupon. This was also fun to put together, and it really turned out well.

Hope you have fun creating with your pictures. :D

Archived