Debark Civ 6 am - Vatican by 8 am?

Two of my fellow travelers really want to make it to the Wednesday papal audience and we have tickets waiting for us. Is it possible to get to the Vatican from Civitavecchia by 8 am? Any tips to make that happen? 

If not, what are the chances the cruise line would let us leave the ship from the port the night before so we can take the train into Rome? 

What time are you scheduled to arrive at Civi? Is this a port stop, or the day you disembark? Is your ship spending the night in Civi? If so, you won't have any problem getting off the night before. 

Arriving at 6am doesn't meaning getting off the ship at 6:05, unless maybe if it is a port stop, not a disembark.

Its 75 or so minutes to the Vatican. I would want private transport, or the expensive cab, not train in this case.

Posted (edited)

I agree with CruiserBruce that a car (or taxi) is the only way this is in any way possible.

Even with a car, I have serious doubts that you could make this by 8:00.  You'd be driving into the city at rush hour, I would expect this trip to require a minimum of 90 minutes.  

If this the end of your cruise, that would mean being off the ship with your luggage by 6:30, which is highly unlikely after a 6:00 arrival.

If this is just a port day stop your odds jump up quite a lot, in that case I would think it's more possible than not, but not dramatically better than 50/50 odds.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you for your speedy responses! 

It is the final day of our cruise, so I suspected there was no way we'd make it. So question two. Will the cruise ship allow us to leave the ship at the port before Civ? If so, we could grab a train to Rome and get a hotel for the night. 

Posted (edited)

The often do, but there are several variables.  If your cruise visited any port outside of the Schengen area, probably not as passport control would have to be involved.  It's also possible that the port agent at that port won't allow it.  But it's also possible that everyone involved would say yes, so ask them (the cruise line)!

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1