2025 Iceland Intensive 7 Night on Silhouette

Experienced cruisers (see signature) doing 7 night Iceland Intensive cruise on the Silhouette in July 2025. Probably flying into Reykjavík 2-3 days prior. All previous Celebrity cruises have been in Retreat (Magic Carpet/Sky Suite). This time we elected to go with Veranda room. Probably will do the premium dining package.

Couple of questions:
1. What is not to be missed in our pre-cruise visit to Reykjavík? Restaurants? Attractions? We're active, fairly fit and in good health.
2. Since we've done only E class ships, what are your favorite dining, bar, or other places on the S class ships? I have read threads on dining, but I like hearing personal preferences and experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

I thought the Penis Museum in Reykjavik was a unique and fun way to spend 30-45 minutes at. Certainly something not to be found elsewhere.  I'm assuming you're going to do the Golden Circle tour?  A must do! The Geyser is the least impressive of the three, but the Waterfalls and Techtronic plates crevasse are wonderful (We had a private tour issue and didn't get to spend as much time at the crevasse as I would have liked).

In Akureyri we did everything on our own and it's easy to walk around and see everything. Don't miss the Botanic Garden; on Google Maps it doesn't seem like much but it's actually quite beautiful and packs alot of things to see in a small area. What's nice about it is rather than just a flat expanse it's a nicely terraced with multiple pathways on different levels and all kinds of large shade trees. 

In Isafjordur we did a private Dynjandi Waterfall tour and that was great!

PXL_20230713_112651253.jpg

PXL_20230713_110920331.jpg

IMG_20230710_172649.jpg

PXL_20230710_123146506.jpg

PXL_20230710_122749234.jpg

PXL_20230710_122205231.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I liked the Saga Museum but it might not be for everyone.  The 'people' in there are so lifelike it is scary, and the history in there covers a lot of the 'major events' from early life there.  The National Museum is great also, as you would expect. You can walk to either from the main downtown area.  Oh, the Maritime Museum was not my thing, it was mostly about the commercial fishing industry history.

Edited by rmalbers

We took the Iceland to Boston cruise and spent 6 nights precruise touring the south shore and Golden Circle. It was a wow trip for us. Your cruise itinerary skips over the south shore where there is so much to see. Have you considered renting a car to DIY or taking day trips via a tour company during precruise? IMO the more precruise days you can manage the better. There's lots to see and do outside of Reykjavik. We spent our first day touring the Reykjane peninsula, where there has been recent volcanic activity. We were able to see lots of geothermal activity in this area, even when the volcano was quiet. Then we headed toward Vik for a few nights and visited Inside the Volcano, The Lava Center, Seljanlanfoss Waterfall, Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach, Jokulsarlon Lagoon, Diamond Beach, and Skogafoss Waterfall. As we headed back to Reykjavik we visited all the Golden Circle sites. Instead of visiting Blue Lagoon, we spent a wonderful evening at the Secret Lagoon and also visited the Mynath Baths when the ship stopped in Akureyri. 

If you’re fairly active, Reykjavik can be walked. Top of the town is the Hallgrimskirka, then it’s all downhill from there! Laugavegur is one of the main shopping streets & has a lot of restaurants on it. I stayed at the Alda Hotel; it was warm, clean and friendly and not far to walk to the nearest tour bus pickup point (number 9). I liked Harpa, the concert hall down by the sea front. 

when you book tours and activities, the pick ups are mostly at the tour bus stops. The drivers don’t wait too long either, so be there in plenty of time. I did the Golden Circle tour with the Secret Lagoon. It’s a long day! The tour took in the Kerid Crater, Gullfoss Falls, the Geyser,Secret Lagoon and the tectonic plates.

It isn’t a cheap place to visit by any means. Just about everywhere will accept contactless card payments. You will be overwhelmed by the amount of instagrammers taking copious amounts of selfies everywhere in town.

Hmm.  We did a 14 say fly drive before our cruise in 2022.  I note we missed one of two ports on the cruise.

Absolutely suggest doing at least a week fly drive.  Roads are good.  Drivers polite and accommodation in midrange with bath and breakfast excellent.  We liked NW Iceland the best as VERY rural and scenic.  Isafjorder great for a couple nights.

Reykjavik was nice and if you are a walker that is all you need.  Taxis hard to get and incredibly expensive.  National Museum was our wrapup.  Took 3 hours.

Really should see the countryside and meet the people without the hordes in Reykjavik and the Golden Circle. 

2 hours ago, BadgerFBfan said:

1. What is not to be missed in our pre-cruise visit to Reykjavík? Restaurants? Attractions? We're active, fairly fit and in good health.

A swim in the heated pools. I went to Laugardalslaug to ward off jet lag and it was such a fun experience, then I wolfed down a hotdog from Pylsuvagninn Laugardal out front after.

Sandholt bakery is fantastic too.

we did a walking tour with City Tours. Just Amazing.   a typical Icelandic lunch was included. Great guide.  Actually DH and I said we would do that again.  

Did Iceland in August 2023. Then got on a Oceania voyage that did 2 other ports.

The major "sights" are on the south side of Iceland and one on the east side.

A cruise will never do justice to Iceland.

We arrived at Rek and then had a vehicle and drove the entire length of the south shore and did the "official" circle tour on the other main highway.

On the east/south side is the Iceberg Lagoon - pay the $ and get the suits on and do the 8 km zodiak tour to the glacier - OMG, the best ever!

On the west side is the national park that has the plate divergence - the NA plate diverting from the European plate - OMG. The gap increases 2 inches per year. The national park is where the Iceland legislature does business 1x per year.

The south side has so many local communities and yes, one is by the active volcano.

If you are travelling to Iceland, it is not cheap whatsover.

ICELAND is the only place in the world with both FIRE AND ICE.

No where else is their both volcanos and glaciers.

A great visit.

• Like 1

oh 1 more. Visit Perlan. It looks like a giant dome, but has a fantastic panoramic view from top, naturally a gift centre but also explains how they use thermal technology to heat.  Lots to learn and see.  Now I want to go back

I always say.

Be careful about the size of the ship.

Some ports can not accommodate bigger ships.

This is why we cruise Oceania as their vessels can get into most ports in the world.

This is a BIG issue in Iceland. 

Do not presume you can get into ports there. 

• Like 1

We have done two land trips and one cruise to Iceland, and still have more to see.

In addition the ideas already mentioned consider the Settlement Exhibition.  Due to the sagas historians think they know which of the original families built this house.

And we also like the area around Vik and have stayed at the Icelandair hotel at Vik for several nights.

18 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I thought the Penis Museum in Reykjavik was a unique and fun way to spend 30-45 minutes at. Certainly something not to be found elsewhere. 

Have to admit, wife and and I LOL'd at this one, but it just might make it to the final cut (so to speak). Thanks for the great suggestions!

18 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Have you considered renting a car to DIY or taking day trips via a tour company during precruise? IMO the more precruise days you can manage the better. There's lots to see and do outside of Reykjavik. 

Wife has indicated she really would like us to rent a car pre-cruise, so very likely we'll go outside Reykjavik and possibly the Golden Circle. Thanks for the input - appreciate it!

16 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

we did a walking tour with City Tours. Just Amazing.   a typical Icelandic lunch was included. Great guide.  Actually DH and I said we would do that again.  

We'll have to look them up. We've loved the food/drink/walking tours we did in Barcelona and San Juan. Thanks!

16 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

oh 1 more. Visit Perlan. It looks like a giant dome, but has a fantastic panoramic view from top, naturally a gift centre but also explains how they use thermal technology to heat.  Lots to learn and see.  Now I want to go back

Sounds awesome. We'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 1:22 PM, BadgerFBfan said:

Wife has indicated she really would like us to rent a car pre-cruise, so very likely we'll go outside Reykjavik and possibly the Golden Circle. Thanks for the input - appreciate it!

Easy drive and a great day out. At the car rental office the lady put all the major stopping points into the Sat Nav in order followed by the useful advice of " the clue is in the name you will be driving in a circle".

• Like 1