Upgrade for four people?

I just received an upgrade offer that I am considering. The email with the offer states "Rates apply to guest 1 & 2 only." Does this mean that the upgrade cost is calculated X2 or that because there are four of us in the room, we would be ineligible? I'd like to give HAL the benefit of the doubt that they'd know there were four people, but these things are automated and we all know that HAL and working, efficient technology are incompatible...

Just now, bobomonkeyrage said:

I just received an upgrade offer that I am considering. The email with the offer states "Rates apply to guest 1 & 2 only." Does this mean that the upgrade cost is calculated X2 or that because there are four of us in the room, we would be ineligible? I'd like to give HAL the benefit of the doubt that they'd know there were four people, but these things are automated and we all know that HAL and working, efficient technology are incompatible...

A quick phone call to your TA or HAL upgrade department would give you a definitive answer

• Like 1

The upgrade cost applies to guests #1 & #2. They cost for the 3rd and 4th people won't change. If you have cruise protection, that may increase if the upgrade cost bumps you up to the next break point.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

The email with the offer states "Rates apply to guest 1 & 2 only." Does this mean that the upgrade cost is calculated X2

In 2014, we got an offer to upgrade from an OV to a Vista Suite which is one step up on the Zaandam. We were booked as a triple, with my mom as Guest #3. I called to ask how much additional for the third passenger and the answer was NO ADDITIONAL $$$. 

Now, a lot of things have changed in cruising in ten years, but coupled with your email, it seems you pay the upgrade price per person for the first two and the 3rd and 4th, just get to move up with you!

You should call first thing, and ask, as others will have gotten the same offer.

ETA: have a deck plan handy!

Edited by crystalspin

10 hours ago, retird said:

A quick phone call to your TA or HAL upgrade department would give you a definitive answer

Exactly, it depends on the terms of the offer and your mariner status. Some bookings come with free 3,4 passengers.

Thanks for the info everyone. I did call this morning and it was exactly what i feared. The offer was only a charge for 2 people, but when they told me the cabin it would be I saw that it did not accommodate four people. When I pointed that out, the rep didn't understand why that would be a problem....
I'm glad I had a deck plan handy as it would have been a disaster to sort out once on board.

• Like 2

And now for the great news!
They called back and offered me an upgrade to a suite that can accommodate us all for just a few $ more. Having only ever cruised in inside cabins we will now be in a Neptune suite! Very excited to experience that. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3rd and 4th passengers in a room are always really cheap.  We stay only in the PS and my wife and I spend a small fortune to book it.  However, when our adult sons accompany us, I don't believe we have ever paid more than $1000 per person for them, including port fees.  When you think of it, it kind of makes sense.  The only real cost to HAL is food plus minor things like extra linens, etc.

So we are happy to have our sons join us whenever they can on HAL.  This contrasts with our other favorite cruise line Oceania, that charges 1/2 of the normal pp rate as a 3rd person in a room.  For a top suite, this gets very expensive fast.