Civitaveccia/Rome excursion info

lucy n

Hi all, we’re sailing on the Divina from Naples on the 23rd May and our first port of call is Civitavecchia. Having sailed out of there before I’m aware it’s a distance from the port over to Rome. We’re thinking of booking the MSC coach transfer from the port into Rome and back again-does anyone know if this is a single pick up and drop off, or do they run it like a shuttle service similar to the set they have in port of Marseille? We’ve got a 6yr old and 9yr old who will be keen to see some of the sights but I doubt will manage a whole day in the centre of Rome so I want to plan travel options in advance ( plus avoid the absolutely extortionate taxi fares!)

thanks!

I doubt if there are multiple return times, but maybe someone else knows.  Your less expensive option would be to buy birg tickets and take the train.  The tickets allow for use on multiple transit options within the city and return at your convenience.  EM

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lucy n said:

We’re thinking of booking the MSC coach transfer from the port into Rome and back again-does anyone know if this is a single pick up and drop off, or do they run it like a shuttle service similar to the set they have in port of Marseille?

There is not just a single pick up time, but certainly not so frequently as in Marseille. And things change fast, best is to wait until on board and ask at the excursion desks, extremely unlikely that the transfer will be sold out. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We were at Civitavecchia last November, but I don't remember MSC offered a regularly scheduled shuttle/transfer service to Rome.  MSC did sell a "Rome on Your Own" excursion, which was basically a bus transfer.  We didn't do that, but we used a similar service at Livorno.  If they use the same practice, it'd be one set time for departure to Rome and one set time for return to the ship.

The cheapest way, as @Essiesmom mentioned, is to take the train.  The most convenient way to see Rome with limited time, book a private tour.  We used Rome Cabs https://www.romecabs.com/ and for a family of 4 it's not that much more than MSC's Rome excursions with tours.

Edited by Selion
  • Thanks 1