Self Guided Tour in New Orleans?

Mike981

Posted (edited)

My wife and I will be visiting New Orleans for the first time this winter and I have been researching different tours and tour guides and one thing I keep seeing in the reviews is, "we should have just done our own tour." Even some who felt the tour was good, but still felt they could have had a better time on their own.

So I am wondering what your opinion is for two folks who will be traveling down from the frozen north for their first visit to New Orleans.

For reference we will be sailing on Celebrity Constellation, visiting on January 4 and our planned time at port is 9:30am - 10pm.

Edited by Mike981

There is value to a guided tour. My wife and I spend a good bit of time in the French Quarter. I have listened to the tour guides. They are entertaining, and can answer your questions. They can also provide specialized tours (like ghost tours). They are licensed by the City of New Orleans, and are required to know what they are talking about.

New Orleans can be pretty cold in January, with the wind coming off the river. Check the local weather forecast before you leave your coats behind.

• Like 1

I believe there are walking maps located in some, or most of the hotels.  Just go into the lobby and pick some maps that are to your liking.  If you take the trolly into the Garden District, I believe there are maps on board as well ( with routes to take, and what to see).  I think there is even a map of the cemetery's.  I would also look online for "walking tours of New Orleans".  You might find some very interesting routes online.  If Bourbon Street is too hectic, just keep walking up ( its a very long walk) to Frenchman's Street.  Defenitly more quiet than Bourbon street.  1 more tip,  check out ( on the internet)  the sites to see while cruising out of New Orleans.  A  few important civil war battle sites or located along the Mississippi.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 1:37 PM, Mike981 said:

one thing I keep seeing in the reviews is, "we should have just done our own tour." Even some who felt the tour was good, but still felt they could have had a better time on their own.

So I am wondering what your opinion is for two folks who will be traveling down from the frozen north for their first visit to New Orleans.

For reference we will be sailing on Celebrity Constellation, visiting on January 4 and our planned time at port is 9:30am - 10pm.

I mean it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The area of New Orleans you will most likely be concentrating on, the French Quarter, is fairly compact and easily walkable on your own. If you are into history and really want to peel back a layer then maybe signing up for a tour could be the way to go. 

Most of the time when I'm in New Orleans it's about eating and drinking with a little history mixed in here and there. If that sort of a day/evening appeals to you then maybe I would just do it on your own. Popping in and out of various bars and restaurants as part of a tour is not going to be nearly as much fun as doing it on your own. 

You have plenty of time to cover some ground with a port day that long. Certinaly not enough to really scratch the surface of the city but enough that you can get an idea if you wanted to come back or not. If sailing time is 10 your all aboard will most likely be in the vicinity of 930. I would make a reservation at one of the great old restaurants New Orleans has and skip dinner on the ship. Commanders Palace would be my personal recommendation (but you'll need to take a quick, easy Uber into the Garden District). Antoines, Arnauds, and Galatoire's would be others in the District that are in the same genre. 

20 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Most of the time when I'm in New Orleans it's about eating and drinking with a little history mixed in here and there.

Thank you so much princeton, this is exactly what we are looking for with some music mixed in.