Room service breakfast - Getaway

Posted (edited)

We will be on the Getaway in Europe next month.   We have a few early morning excursions and are considering ordering breakfast from room service in order to avoid crowds in the buffet on the mornings of port days.   We would be ordering just cereal, milk, fruit, coffee - no eggs or other hot items.   

Does NCL still use the old-fashioned door tags to hang out the night before with our order and chosen time?   If not, can we call the night before with our order and to specify a delivery time?   If we have to call in the morning, how much time should we allow?  We are booked on NCL excursions with no flexibility in meeting time.  In general, is room service dependable?   We are in a standard balcony cabin without any special services or amenities. 

As an alternative, what is the buffet like for breakfast on early port days?  Is it a madhouse, or can we plan on getting in and out fairly quickly? 

Thank you for any insight.  

Edited by Joanne G.

I usually kick my own derriere to drag myself out of bed, shower and get a start on my day by going to one of the sit down MDRs or Buffet for breakfast.  On occasion, when I stayed up way too late the night before, I get room service.  

This was about 6 months ago on a Mediterranean Epic cruise, but the breakfast room service required "hang tags".  I was similar to you, pastries, juice and a bagel.  IT showed up within the time frame they said it would be delivered.  I want to think it was a 15 minute window.

Breakfast in the buffet?  The earlier you get there, the better.  Find out when the Garden Buffet opens and plan on being there then.  That's your best shot at getting in and out quickly.

Have fun!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

We will be on the Getaway in Europe next month.   We have a few early morning excursions and are considering ordering breakfast from room service in order to avoid crowds in the buffet on the mornings of port days.   We would be ordering just cereal, milk, fruit, coffee - no eggs or other hot items.   

Does NCL still use the old-fashioned door tags to hang out the night before with our order and chosen time?   If not, can we call the night before with our order and to specify a delivery time?   If we have to call in the morning, how much time should we allow?  We are booked on NCL excursions with no flexibility in meeting time.  In general, is room service dependable?   We are in a standard balcony cabin without any special services or amenities. 

As an alternative, what is the buffet like for breakfast on early port days?  Is it a madhouse, or can we plan on getting in and out fairly quickly? 

Yes. NCL still uses door tags. There is a $4.95+gratuity delivery charge (regardless of the size of the order) = $5.94. Earliest delivery time is 6:30-7:00. Also consider that there is very limited counter/desk space in a standard Getaway room. 

Buffet will be busy. But you can always get in to grab a quick bite. If you get there at/before advertised opening time, it is fine. Always walk toward the back of the buffet to minimize crowds. 

image.thumb.png.d40fd944f3f71d730ca612b26defba95.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I will be using my door tag Tuesday night for an early morning excursion in Tortola. I am currently having a blast on Getaway! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just off Getaway and ordered rm svc for disembarkation day.  Latest they will serve is 8 am on the last day, but they knocked on the door 1/2 hr early.  

Whether you order just continental and/or a hot item, it's now the same price.  Tomato/spinach/cheese omelette fine.  Bacon on the side.  Juice, coffee.  The only mixup was hot choc. ordered with hot milk came in an envelope with a pot of hot water.

They definitely want you to use the door hangar order form but I happened to call the night before and they took the order over the phone.

Another good choice for something quick is O'Sheehan's where things came out hot and fast.  There may be a line but it moved pretty quickly.  I didn't check out the American Diner for breakfast (only lunch) but that might be another fast option. 

Have a great time!

Thank you all for the information and the tips for getting an early breakfast.  One excursion is scheduled to start at 7:30, so the earliest room service time (6:30 - 7:00) on the order form that @BirdTravelsposted wouldn't work.   I appreciate knowing the other options.  And thanks for the good wishes - we are getting excited for our trip.   

8 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Thank you all for the information and the tips for getting an early breakfast.  One excursion is scheduled to start at 7:30, so the earliest room service time (6:30 - 7:00) on the order form that @BirdTravelsposted wouldn't work.   I appreciate knowing the other options.  And thanks for the good wishes - we are getting excited for our trip.   

O'Sheehans works really well for the early tours. They've got an express hot breakfast, but you can also get a fruit plate/toast very quickly.