One Thing

Sketty1616

So we are going on our very first cruise on 5/16, Seward to Vancouver. Not just our first SS cruise, but our first cruise period.

Since we are first-timers, what is one thing we need to try, experience, do, ask for, that a first-timer might not otherwise know they need to do? Thanks!

I don’t have any recommendations but it’s always great to share your observations here, either while onboard or after.   Will you be sailing on Nova?  If so, people are very keen to read anything about that ship because it’s do different from the rest of the fleet.

1 minute ago, Sketty1616 said:

We will be on the Nova. I can post my thoughts once on board, but again we have nothing to compare it to. But glad to provide our opinions. 

I think it'll be very refreshing to hear the views of a first timer like yourself. There's plenty of cruising old hands on here that remenice, compare to different times, or nick-pick (no offence to anyone!). 

Can I ask are you travelling with a better half or solo? 

Welcome to cruising I'm sure you'll have a great time and hope that you do! And welcome to cruise critic too! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sketty1616 said:

So we are going on our very first cruise on 5/16, Seward to Vancouver. Not just our first SS cruise, but our first cruise period.  Since we are first-timers, what is one thing we need to try, experience, do, ask for, that a first-timer might not otherwise know they need to do? Thanks!

Congratulations for doing your first cruise and especially with the many wonderful options and potentials for Alaska, Vancouver, etc.  

As detailed below, in reverse order, we did in the summer of 2019, Vancouver to Alaska on the Silver Muse.  Check out my live/blog below for many visuals, options to consider, etc.  

Here are some tips for cruising and this adventure to the USA's 49th State.  

1. Before and after your cruise, what are you doing?  Will you spend time at the end of the cruise in Vancouver?  It's a super wonderful and charming city.  We had three days there prior and it works out so well.  We also did a Denali through Silversea.  Also, wonderful.  Tell us more as to your before and after plans.  

2. Weather?: Be prepared and flexible.  In May for your cruise, things can be challenging with cold, rain, snow, etc.  Good luck.  Prepare accordingly.  

3. Shore excursion?:  Have you researched your various port tour options for these various Alaska stops?  What are you planning and for which types of excursions are you most interested?  There is much of interest to do in these areas.  Hopefully you will do more than just walk off of the ship and explore around what is nearby in each port.  Below are some visuals for the air tour we did in Juneau that was totally amazing!!  Flying over the glaciers, stopping for lunch at a salmon fry, seeing a bear up close, exploring some of the old forest areas, etc.  Totally wonderful and thrilling.  

4. Ship options, dining?:  Tell us most about your personal interests, travel style, dining loves, etc.  These Silversea ships have many options.  Plan and prepare ahead.  Try new things.  

Look through my live/blog.  Happy to share more and answer any and all added questions.  Don't be shy!!!  Lots of people on these CC boards are very experienced and happy to share much more, respond to your info needs, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 21,312 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

In Juneau, we super enjoyed the amazing experience for doing an air tour over five glacier, landing for a salmon lunch, seeing a bear, walking in a unique wooded area, etc.  Great fun and excitement!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.417fa8f8ba16596593ec4238ae2b5141.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b8d1a4dbc0e0d371953a4d397c50a652.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1989c04cf9e59bc217092543c263a0c3.jpeg

Here is the welcome to Ketchikan.:

image.thumb.jpeg.6991d0f9ed2bcaa6ea25571ee19237a5.jpeg

In Skagway, here is one sample of its style and interesting architecture/history.:

image.thumb.jpeg.af783c21ba680e172a0d92a83129068b.jpeg

This one visual gives a small sample for the vibrance of Vancouver.  So much charm and character there to enjoy.:

image.thumb.jpeg.7f25960b259cf23e3d6ba11d35fa5f88.jpeg

Welcome to the Silversea boards!  Be sure to make your excursion reservations on MySilversea ASAP if you haven't already. Also, try to get a reservation in Silver Note, which has no extra fee but has a limited number of tables and is sometimes hard to book.  If you haven't been successful so far, your butler can help you get a reservation.

The two for-fee restaurants, La Dame and Kaiseki, have their fans and non-fans.  My personal advice is to spend time exploring the full menu's at the other restaurants before spending the additional $$, especially if this is only a 7 day Alaska itinerary.

When you get to your suite, your butler will introduce themselves, show you the TV and computer tablet controls (yes, there's a computer tablet where you can do everything that you can do on the interactive TV), and ask about what you want in the fridge.  They will take away what you don't want and stock it with the beverages and food items you want (specific type of wine, champagne, gin and tonic and a bowl of fresh cut limes, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc.).  You can also ask them for help with reservations.

On the Nova, there are complimentary cooking classes and bartending classes.  The cooking ones are sign-up at reception, and you should do that the first day.  I'm not sure about the bar classes, but they are held at the Salt Bar on Deck 11.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

I agree that views of a first time cruiser will be very interesting.  Please do post.

I really enjoyed my Alaskan ports on Muse last year.  Look at the excursions to see what you might enjoy. There was a very good tour in Sitka to the Eagle sanctuary followed by the bear sanctuary.  We did a fantastic included tour in Ketchikan out to a fishing lodge, including a lovely but short temperate rainforest walk on a boarded walkway. Highly recommend if it is still included. (I usually never get my hands messy, but I dig into this delicious lunch!)

IMG_1909.thumb.jpeg.64c94bc62b3567f7c6b4652781d2bba9.jpeg

IMG_1908.thumb.jpeg.86b1a07f8913da4f180e2dbd53d44253.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sketty1616 said:

So we are going on our very first cruise on 5/16, Seward to Vancouver. Not just our first SS cruise, but our first cruise period.

Since we are first-timers, what is one thing we need to try, experience, do, ask for, that a first-timer might not otherwise know they need to do? Thanks!

On our last SS cruise (which was Sep 23), my husband and I had to have an early room service lunch a couple of times because of tour times.  We found the room service pizza to be excellent. I'm sure some may disagree, but we really enjoyed it.  If you find yourself in a similar situation, I would suggest giving it a try.

Don't feel overwhelmed like you need to try everything that looks good on the menu, there will be other dinners/lunch/breakfast onboard this time and hopefully next.  And do try to get a reservation at silver note in advance..  

My wife and I will be on the same cruise celebrating or 20th anniversary. Unfortunately, Silver Note has been totally booked since we had access. I look at it as a first world problem. Maybe we will be able to get in onboard. We are hoping to get into one of the Chef's Table dinners. See ya in a few weeks!

17 minutes ago, DavisFLSt8 said:

My wife and I will be on the same cruise celebrating or 20th anniversary. Unfortunately, Silver Note has been totally booked since we had access. I look at it as a first world problem. Maybe we will be able to get in onboard. We are hoping to get into one of the Chef's Table dinners. See ya in a few weeks!

But I have been informed by 3 different restaurant managers and one HD that the policy is to keep 50% of reservations until Embarkation day. So board early and go to your butler or reception and try for the dates you want. I suspect the policy is not always followed.

But some sneaky transit passenger may snaffle a few up before the new guests arrive,

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

But I have been informed by 3 different restaurant managers and one HD that the policy is to keep 50% of reservations until Embarkation day. So board early and go to your butler or reception and try for the dates you want. I suspect the policy is not always followed.

But some sneaky transit passenger may snaffle a few up before the new guests arrive,

Buggers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

These are probably the same low lifes that put books down on deck loungers first thing in the morning.  I don't think walking the plank would be too extreme - or force them to eat a stiff cardboard hamburger....

I have never left a book on a sun lounge. And by that time I had already eaten a stiff cardboard burger at the Grill.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Don't feel overwhelmed like you need to try everything that looks good on the menu, there will be other dinners/lunch/breakfast onboard this time and hopefully next.  And do try to get a reservation at silver note in advance..  

I tried to reserve Silver Note as soon as we made our reservations in January. Completely booked. I may try once we are on board.

7 hours ago, Sketty1616 said:

I tried to reserve Silver Note as soon as we made our reservations in January. Completely booked. I may try once we are on board.

periodically check to see if something opens up people cancel for various reasons.