For those who have been waitlisted on excursions

MudderBear

Posted (edited)

This excursion in Marsailles, France was sold out for a while.  Then, one day I saw the waitlist was open and jumped on it.  I'm still wait listed and now it says it is sold out again.  I'm wondering if they opened the waitlist because they knew they were going to be able to secure another booking?  I guess I'm just wondering if people who had been wait listed previously actually were able to secure a spot.  The excursion in question is: Late Riser - Aix en Provence & Marseille

Edited by MudderBear
  • Like 1

Maybe some have had better luck, but we have tried to waitlist on four different occasions for excursions and never had success. Your best option now that they have removed the waitlist is probably just to check as soon as you get on board to see if anything has opened up. Good luck!

• Like 2

Yes. I originally booked a whale watching excursion in Juneau on a boat that I think holds about 200 people but really wanted the smaller boat for about 20 people. I waitlisted that excursion and a few months later got an email if I still wanted it to pay the difference & did so. Have to admit I was surprised but very happy.

• Like 2

I’m aboard the Grand right now & I was waitlisted for an excursion in Tahiti. When we boarded I asked at the desk & they said that they had added another trip in the afternoon. We remained on the waitlist for the morning but it never opened.

• Like 1

I was on the waitlist for an excursion on a California coastal cruise a couple years ago.  I did get an email when a spot opened up, and I had a short time period - I think 48 hours - to accept and pay for it. Not wanting to depend on an email, I also checked the excursion just about every day for availability.    Good luck - and have a Plan B for that port.  

I was on waitlist for two excursions ( on Sun Princess this June),  for Barcelona and Gibraltar and was able to confirm both. For Gibraltar I received an email and had to pay in 48 hours but for Barcelona it just happened that I was on personalizer to look for other excursions and saw that there were availabilities. Check every day and also first thing when you will embark.

I was on a waitlist for an afternoon snorkeling trip in tahiti. It wasn't until we were on board (the first day) that my onboard folio showed the excursion charge and the vouchers were delivered that evening. 

3 hours ago, gypsygal1962 said:

I was on a waitlist for an afternoon snorkeling trip in tahiti. It wasn't until we were on board (the first day) that my onboard folio showed the excursion charge and the vouchers were delivered that evening. 

Interesting.   I've read other accounts like yours, in which people on a wait list were given spots and charged for the excursion without a notification in advance.   It seems like a potential problem if someone had made alternative arrangements with a private tour operator.  Maybe I should reconsider my suggestion in post #5 to have a Plan B for a port in which you are on the wait list for a Princess excursion.  

22 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Interesting.   I've read other accounts like yours, in which people on a wait list were given spots and charged for the excursion without a notification in advance.   It seems like a potential problem if someone had made alternative arrangements with a private tour operator.  Maybe I should reconsider my suggestion in post #5 to have a Plan B for a port in which you are on the wait list for a Princess excursion.  

If you’ve made other, noncancelable, arrangements you should remove yourself from the waitlist.

My experience:  I was recently waitlisted for a GBR excursion on a Round-Austrailia cruise in 2025.  I also reserved and paid for a backup excursion.  I never got an email asking to accept the move from waitlist onto reserve, but I did get an email asking to immediately pay the price differential.  I paid, got the confirmed reservation for the excursion I really wanted, and the backup excursion was automatically cancelled by Princess.