NCL Luggage allowance - T&C vs FAQs

My question is more about the legal aspect of conflicting information, rather than the enforcement of a rule.

In the Terms and conditions document that we are asked to "sign" at check in, clause 26 relating to Guest property and luggage restrictions, 26.1 states - Each Guest may bring on board two pieces of baggage, with each piece weighing a maximum of 20 KG.

In the general FAQs  found at https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack#:~:text=Bag Allowances,be delivered to your stateroom. It is stated that Bag Allowances

Each guest is allowed two pieces of checked luggage with a 50-pound maximum each, same as airlines.*

50lbs is 22.7kg.

20kg is 44 lbs.

* My airline has a 23Kg limit and I'd like to pack to that!!

It's not the amount - it's the principle of being asked to verify in T&C that I'm going to bring a lesser amount that they have previously advised me in the FAQs. 

Has anyone questioned this. I tried yesterday in Live chat but I got mysteriously cut off !!

I'm going to sound very anal about this but legally speaking they make a big thing of READ EVERYTHING and  READ THESE REGULATIONS  so I read it.   And found a discrepancy.

Any thoughts?  ( Thanks for not just repling that they don't enforce weight regs,  that's not my point.)

I have searched the boards to see if this aspect of luggage allowance has been addressed. Apologies if I've just not been able to find it. But I have found the likes of this question about if the rule is enforced.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:55 AM, josephine678 said:

Hi is the 50lb rule strictly enforced. I have one 30 inch luggage for both myself and my husband. I'm sure it is over 50 lbs although I am able to lift it off the floor a few inches. Do I have to go out and buy new luggage? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Thet don't weigh your bags at least our bags have never been weighed , I few times my 30 inch bag I used to carry my diving gear is close to 60lbs. I tip the porter accordingly or put the bag on the cart myself at the port

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KayEmPee said:

My question is more about the legal aspect of conflicting information, rather than the enforcement of a rule.

In the Terms and conditions document that we are asked to "sign" at check in, clause 26 relating to Guest property and luggage restrictions, 26.1 states - Each Guest may bring on board two pieces of baggage, with each piece weighing a maximum of 20 KG.

In the general FAQs  found at https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack#:~:text=Bag Allowances,be delivered to your stateroom. It is stated that Bag Allowances

Each guest is allowed two pieces of checked luggage with a 50-pound maximum each, same as airlines.*

50lbs is 22.7kg.

20kg is 44 lbs.

* My airline has a 23Kg limit and I'd like to pack to that!!

It's not the amount - it's the principle of being asked to verify in T&C that I'm going to bring a lesser amount that they have previously advised me in the FAQs. 

Has anyone questioned this. I tried yesterday in Live chat but I got mysteriously cut off !!

I'm going to sound very anal about this but legally speaking they make a big thing of READ EVERYTHING and  READ THESE REGULATIONS  so I read it.   And found a discrepancy.

Any thoughts?  ( Thanks for not just replying that they don't enforce weight regs,  that's not my point.)

I have searched the boards to see if this aspect of luggage allowance has been addressed. Apologies if I've just not been able to find it. But I have found the likes of this question about if the rule is enforced.

I certainly understand your point. Unfortunately, NCL's website is riddled with typos and/or opposing information, and, the "legality" of their wording most likely would find various results upon each different locality's jurisdiction.

I imagine most people read that section of the T&C's with little concern (if they read the T&C's at all).

• Thanks 1

I have seen people on a TA bring a lot more that 2 bags they are using the cruise to vacation in Florida for the whole winter then take a spring TA back to Europe.  The cruise is a little more than a flight but with the extra baggage cost it could easily be a wash as far as cost.

I think also you are looking at a UK and US site possibly.  

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to respond. Or how any of us should respond since it seems you don't want firsthand information. It's well known NCL doesn't weigh every single customer's bag and certainly 3 kg's isn't going to make any difference. But, based on your post, that's not the information you are seeking.

But, you're asking for the legal difference. Are you planning to sue NCL for stating one thing in their FAQ's and then stating something else in the terms and conditions? Are you asking because you'd like to find discrepancies that negate certain facts? I'm just really confused about your intent and want to understand more. What am I missing?

• Like 7

When a corporation’s statements about their rules are contradictory, in the worst case the lawyers come out. Courts tend to look poorly on parties that try to weasel out of what they promised, since customers have no way of knowing which version is right. Recently, a court in Canada said an airline needed to honor the promises its AI chat function made to a customer, despite the published terms saying other things.

But as stated it rarely comes to that.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KayEmPee said:

If looking at it that way, abide by the lower weight limit. In that way, you cannot be out of compliance. 

However, as many have pointed out, NCL doesn't actually weight anything and even if they did, what proof would NCL have that their scales are (or have been recently) properly and accurately calibrated? 20 kilos,  22.7 kilos, or 23 kilos isn't worth thinking about. 

4 hours ago, KayEmPee said:

FAQs and the answers given don't hold the same weight (pun) as terms & conditions. Follow what you sign/agree to and you'll be fine. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:33 PM, fredflint said:

I think also you are looking at a UK and US site possibly.  

Yes I think the FAQ pages I found were from the UK site.   Thank you

On 4/24/2024 at 1:17 PM, ggTexasGal said:

NCL's website is riddled with typos and/or opposing information, and, the "legality" of their wording most likely would find various results upon each different locality's jurisdiction.

I asked a Live chat agent and she pointed me to a form where I could complain / point it out, which I have now done - and I feel better  😉

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:56 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to respond.

Thank you for responding 🙂

My point was about the difference in the information - not that I'd sue them, they hold the power in this relationship!  but that technically they could deny boarding since If I followed the info in the FAQs I'd be packing more than I'd agreed to in the T&C.

I fully agree with what else you've said that they're not going to be pulling folk out the line to check My point, however, wasn't to start an arguement but really to ask what do other folk do if they see a discrepancy in information from NCL.

I agree fully with what someone else said below - stick to what I've agreed in the T&C and it keeps me right!!

Thanks

K

On 4/24/2024 at 4:40 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

FAQs and the answers given don't hold the same weight (pun) as terms & conditions. Follow what you sign/agree to and you'll be fine. 

Yes,  I agree.   I'm seeing the FAQ as 'an advisory'  rather than the T&C as an actual condition.  

Spoke earlier to a Live chat agent and she pointed me in the direction of a form which I've submitted,  so I feel better now!! 😉  

Thx for your input.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:19 PM, Menocchio said:

When a corporation’s statements about their rules are contradictory, in the worst case the lawyers come out. Courts tend to look poorly on parties that try to weasel out of what they promised, since customers have no way of knowing which version is right. Recently, a court in Canada said an airline needed to honor the promises its AI chat function made to a customer, despite the published terms saying other things.

But as stated it rarely comes to that.

Thank you  - Yes,  I very much doubt that it would come to a court   but you're right in that unless I'd printed off the T&C doc but quickly went to the FAQs to check something and there got the wrong info,  then legally, I'm in breach since I've previously agreed the T&C.

Very interested to hear about the Canadian case with the company being held to info given out by the AI bot.  I think I'll go and read up.

Many thanks for your input. I was nit-picking  but then that's what a lawyer would do too!!

K

18 hours ago, KayEmPee said:

I asked a Live chat agent and she pointed me to a form where I could complain / point it out, which I have now done - and I feel better  😉

If you're going to complain about every possible little discrepancy between what you experience and what you saw/read/heard that the experience is 'supposed to' be like, you're in for a long and non-fun filled trip.

Let it go. You're getting yourself worked up and filling out Karen complaint forms over 3kg that everyone is saying from first hand real life experience is insignificant.

image.thumb.png.89d458b3a05e326b35e1e4f4fe7ff3bb.png

• Like 1

Here is the LEGAL deal - ANY NCL agent can enforce the T&C because that is the legal rule you agreed to.  

They can refuse overweight bags.  They can charge you extra for overweight bags.  You have little to zero negotiation ability standing at the pier with an agent.  Thus - don't ask stupid questions and do not be argumentative over which rule applies.  

Your choice is to pay whatever they assess and dispute it later in arbitration in Florida.  I have not heard that the luggage weight is a big deal, they can stay afloat if your bag is a little bit heavy.  

Its like arguing with an airline agent at the ticket counter or gate - you are not going to win. 

Its like arguing with a cop on the side of the road, thats not the time or place.  

That all said - most check in agents are too damn busy to care what your bag weighs . . . like others have said.  

• Haha 1

I have also noted there is no real bag limit.  I've seen 7 bags outside a stateroom with 2 people inside(I know as they were our neighbors on one cruise).  The cruise line really has no way to count how many bags you have since the bags are dropped off with the porters who don't work for the cruise line.   However I get your concern, it bugs me too when I read these conflicts but I wince and let it go.

• Thanks 1