Getting On/Off the ship with a toddler

Hi All,
We have an extremely well behaved and well traveled toddler but we're wondering about getting on and off the ship in QM2 in NYC and NH for the May sailing.

With a stroller, toddler, and various bags in tow - are there porters ?
Are there areas to wait ?
If there is rain or weather are they covered ?
Terminals with shelter, food, coffee shop, wifi, etc ?
Can you all give me a bit more lay of the land on arrival and departure ? 

We're going to have Cunard take us to/from the airports but were wondering what the plan was when we are waiting around the loading areas. I've learned  not to go in blind with a toddler. 

We're so excited about an alternative to air travel now that our child has outgrown the air cot on many airlines and figured this would be a fun new way to travel as a family. Any Cunard family / child advice or tips would be appreciated.

45 minutes ago, WorldSchoolFamilyUSA said:

Hi All,
We have an extremely well behaved and well traveled toddler but we're wondering about getting on and off the ship in QM2 in NYC and NH for the May sailing.

With a stroller, toddler, and various bags in tow - are there porters ?

There is a baggage drop for checked luggage outside of the terminal. The drop area has many badged porters with carts. We are fairly local so have never used a bus transfer - likely all checked & tagged baggage is taken from the bus and into the terminal while you deal with stroller and carry on luggage.

The terminal operator's site for the Brooklyn Cruise terminal is https://cruise.nyc/brooklyn-terminal

Are there areas to wait ?
If there is rain or weather are they covered ?

Once the terminal doors are opened, there are waiting areas both before and after security screening.

In 2022 the paperwork check was right after security screening, and as Mrs Bear had mobility issues we were directed to a priority line. It's likely that the toddler+stroller will also result in priority.

There will be a final paperwork check [and perhaps a fresh picture for photo id], and then boarding by groups will start.

Terminals with shelter, food, coffee shop, wifi, etc ?

Not that many facilities in the terminal while waiting. Pre-lockdown there were a few vending machines - I don't know if they have been restored. I believe the restrooms have baby changing tables.

Most folks will be directed to escalators - but there are also elevators to the boarding 'airbridge' to the ship.

Can you all give me a bit more lay of the land on arrival and departure ? 

We're going to have Cunard take us to/from the airports but were wondering what the plan was when we are waiting around the loading areas. I've learned  not to go in blind with a toddler. 

We're so excited about an alternative to air travel now that our child has outgrown the air cot on many airlines and figured this would be a fun new way to travel as a family. Any Cunard family / child advice or tips would be appreciated.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:
  • Not that many facilities in the terminal while waiting. Pre-lockdown there were a few vending machines - I don't know if they have been restored. I believe the restrooms have baby changing tables.

• Most folks will be directed to escalators - but there are also elevators to the boarding 'airbridge' to the ship.

As of the last sailing at Brooklyn, there are no food and drink machines located in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The line did offer canned water after the final check in of document, photo and scan of Passports. It was located btw the General Assembly Hall for Non Grill Passengers and the Grill Lounge,

We did not have to use the rest rooms so can not confirm about baby changing tables.

The elevators in the Brooklyn Terminal are located pass the Escalators to the rear of the First Floor. It will take to you to the level equal to the top of the escalators. There you will be directed to the Gangway which is in two (incline) parts to the Bulkhead entrance of the ship.

• Like 2

I can't be specific about the ports you're talking about because I haven't been through them with my 2 year old but I have cruised with her 5 times, 3 on Cunard.

The kids club is great and the staff are qualified and vetted to UK standards. Sign up before you go and do make use of it - it's relaxing to be able to let kiddo let off some steam in a dedicated space for children. How old is your toddler? Under 2s it's stay and play where over 2s can be left and there will be a programme with activities and crafts. Under 2s do get access to a night nursery where you can exchange your sleeping child for a pager and enjoy a few child free hours while they sleep in a travel cot in the baby room. We've made good use of it in the past and it's one of the things I'll miss now that kiddo is over 2.

I try to keep on top of my daughters salt intake but a little word to the waiter on the first night and that will be taken care of. You can preorder the next nights dinner and have it made to be low or no salt. There is absolutely no problem with ordering food from the main menu so don't feel like you need to stick to the children's menu if you see something on the main menu that you think they'd like. We've always found the staff to be really accommodating - my toddler probably gets more personalised service than I do!

If you take a look at some of my threads you'll see some reviews and a trip report.

• Like 1