restaurants in Southampton - reservations needed?

We will be spending 3 nights in Southampton ahead of our cruise in May.  I'm eyeing various pubs/restaurants for dinner and wondering as a general rule if dining reservations are a must-have for a party of 2? 

We will be touring out and about during the day, plus will be getting over jet lag, so I'm hesitant to lock something in that we might have to change.  We don't mind waiting 20-30 minutes for a table, but would hate to be flat out turned away.  

I realize it can vary wildly by restaurant.  Just wondering the general vibe, if anyone had input.  Thank you!

Depends what you are looking at.  Popular smaller independents may well require a booking, especially at weekends.

However most venues don't have an issue with you cancelling if plans change.  Popular restaurants will fill the seats.

• Thanks 1

For most restaurants & pubs, saturday evening & sunday lunch for sure, and often friday evening. That's in all price ranges

Some you really need to book for any evening.

I don't know of any in Southampton which require a deposit or even a card number with booking, so there's nothing to lose by booking.

As per @Thejuggler's post, cancelling a booking isn't a problem - it's a matter of good manners to cancel with as much notice as possible, but even if you phoned to cancel around the time of your booking because of something like a car or taxi problem that gives them the opportunity to offer your table to a walk-in.

More and more now take bookings on-line on their websites. And there's the facility to change or cancel a booking same-way on their e-mailed confirmation.

BTW folk eat out later in the UK than in many parts of the US.

Bookings are taken for times up to 8.30 or 9.00

If you have any particular places in-mind I can perhaps be more precise.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

You definitely need reservations at Dancing Man Brewery and this can be done online.  We tried a month in advance last year for a Friday night and they were fully booked.  This year we booked two months in advance and got a reservation for a Thursday night.

If a restaurant anywhere in the country takes reservations, then I make one. When we're looking to have a nice relaxed evening, the last thing I want is an indeterminate, possibly long, wait or to be turned away because they are full. 

It does vary by restaurant and/or by restaurant type. Chains are likely to be turning tables so, whilst you may have a wait, you'll probably get a table sometime. Small independents, like the place near home where we ate this week, may not turn tables so, if they're full, then they're full. FWIW, a mini-chain near me requires reservations - and you need to book several weeks in advance to get a table. 

It may be different in Southampton, as JB suggests, but an increasing number of places near me now require a credit card to secure the reservation, usually stating that "no shows" or late cancellations will incur a penalty. Welcome to the UK hospitality industry post-Covid and post-Brexit. 🙂

Thank you! This has motivated me to get organized and start booking. And good point @John Bull about the later dining times, I had not realized that for the UK. 

9 hours ago, Senga said:

You definitely need reservations at Dancing Man Brewery and this can be done online.  We tried a month in advance last year for a Friday night and they were fully booked.  This year we booked two months in advance and got a reservation for a Thursday night.

This was on the list so thanks for the heads up. I was able to book for a Friday next month, and it did require a credit card. 

• Like 1