1st time sailing out of Galveston question

This will be my 13th cruise but first time sailing out of Galveston.  Mobile, to date, has been the “rockiest” leaving while making it into the open seas, with New Orleans not far behind.  How is Galveston?  Hoping for calmer water sooner as we have a first timer along this trip. 

Thanks! 

I get that….  When leaving from the Port of New Orleans, for example, you’re actually in the MS River for 7 to 8 hours …then it gets smoother when you cross over into gulf waters … I just wondered how leaving from Galveston compared as I’ve not sailed from that port before….  

13 hours ago, reedpartyof4 said:

I get that….  When leaving from the Port of New Orleans, for example, you’re actually in the MS River for 7 to 8 hours …then it gets smoother when you cross over into gulf waters … I just wondered how leaving from Galveston compared as I’ve not sailed from that port before….  

The is absolutely no way of predicting what the conditions will be until your sail date. The Gulf is very choppy today and has been for a several days due to strong winds.  We also see it as smooth as glass under ideal conditions.  

I have never sailed out of Galveston, but looking at the map it seems like many other ports I've sailed out of in FL. Just a short(ish) channel to get to open water, that I'd expect to be generally smooth at least until you get to open water. Though as mentioned already, you never know what the conditions will be like until that time gets there.

I have sailed out of Mobile and NO, neither of which I found rocky at all. Unless rocky means something different to you than it does me. Are you saying you had a rocky ride down the Mississippi until you got to the Gulf? 

Ahhhh thank you so much… 

Never really the kind of “rocky” that would make you seasick, just different than what it’s like when you get further into the open water, if that makes sense… 

I’m just trying to help prepare my daughter’s best friend who has never been on a cruise and will be going with us in a couple of weeks.

We are all in one cabin, so the girls will be in upper bunks and that, combined with never having sailed out of Galveston, just made me want to ask and see if anyone had input…

I’m well aware that the weather can change everything, lol, but the point of the question was really just comparing the Galveston port to the others I’ve sailed from that were “southern.” 

Thanks again. 
☺️