Haven restaurant

On the Joy recently, no daily specials.  Just the standard menu every night.  That for me was the biggest negative about that otherwise very nice place to eat.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Honestly, we've never had an issue.  There has always been enough options on each of the menus (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) that we can vary our eating over the 7 days.  

Add in the 4 specialty dinners we typically have, then there are really no issues even on a 10 day cruise IMHO....

I'll add, since becoming platinum and with an upgrade to Free at Sea plus we get 6 meals on a 7-day cruise so we've actually stopped pricing Haven rooms.  We do Haven Lite for the most part now.

Edited by JandC_Cruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We were recently on a 12-night Getaway trip and the Haven menus were the same every day.  Honestly, it was not a problem for me because it did give me a chance to order some items I would not normally order.  Of the 12 nights I can honestly say I did not have anything I did not like but I did repeat some of my favorites a number of times.  

4 hours ago, mitchtech said:

Hi.

Was wondering if the haven restaurant  has different menus every night for dinner or is it the same menu every night

Thanks

The menu stays the same.  There are about a half dozen appetizers or salads and about the same number of main courses. 

We only have sailed in the Haven a couple of times out of the 40 or so cruises we have taken with NCL.  One of those was a 12 day cruise, the other was 14 days.  With four or five nights of dining in a specialty restaurant and occasionally having dinner in O'Sheehan's or the MDR, we never ran out of interesting menu selections to choose when dining in the Haven. 

You always can ask them to mix up things, such as choosing a different side dish, preparing the main course in a different style from that listed on the menu, etc.  Unless you have food allergies or an aversion to certain types of meat or certain vegetables, you should be able to find plenty of variety, even on a lengthy cruise.  There must be a dozen different ways to prepare eggs for breakfast, plus pancakes, oatmeal, and lots of other things to provide options there.  On most cruises you will have lunch ashore, so no problems finding variety at the noon hour.  In short, if you have an adventurous palate, there are plenty options.

• Like 2

We have been in NCL Suites 13 times now starting back to 2009 the last 7 have been in "The Haven" I have to say that I frankly am getting really tired and bored with the evening Haven Dining. Menu really has not changed in years. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE breakfast, and lunch is pretty good but we found the evening meals to not be good and quality low. I know the reason for this is they want us out and about dining in the specialty restaurants and we do. With the Free at Sea 7 day cruise you get two, then being Sapphire we get another two and we actually paid ala carte for one night in Q. But after dining our first night in Haven to not have a great meal we actually went to Manhattan Dining Room one night and it was amazing. Oddly we found the quality excellent and maybe even a bit better than Haven at night. I think our upcoming cruises we will be going to Manhattan a few more times. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mitchtech said:

Hi.

Was wondering if the haven restaurant  has different menus every night for dinner or is it the same menu every night

Thanks

Same menu every night. But when you mix in specialty dining that comes with the cruise (and we get more because of our Latitudes tier) it is never a problem. In the link above, we tried and enjoyed most of the things on the menu. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We have been in NCL Suites 13 times now starting back to 2009 the last 7 have been in "The Haven" I have to say that I frankly am getting really tired and bored with the evening Haven Dining. Menu really has not changed in years. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE breakfast, and lunch is pretty good but we found the evening meals to not be good and quality low. I know the reason for this is they want us out and about dining in the specialty restaurants and we do. With the Free at Sea 7 day cruise you get two, then being Sapphire we get another two and we actually paid ala carte for one night in Q. But after dining our first night in Haven to not have a great meal we actually went to Manhattan Dining Room one night and it was amazing. Oddly we found the quality excellent and maybe even a bit better than Haven at night. I think our upcoming cruises we will be going to Manhattan a few more times. 

I don’t really like the Haven lunch menu, so sometimes we’ll go to the Manhattan, O’Sheeans or even buffet for lunch. My children are no longer teens, and don’t often vacation with us now,  but they really didn’t care for the haven lunch.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Maybe it's because we have only been in the Haven on two cruises for a total of 26 days, or maybe it's because I don't mind having the same main course twice in one week if I find something I really like, but my experience has been different from yours.  I have no complaints about the Haven menu offerings at the dinner hour.  YMMV.

Posted (edited)

Spent 17 days in Prima Haven 3/29-4/17, 2024. We only had 5 speciality dinners and ate in the Haven for all three meals the rest of the time. These are some of our favorites… 4 lunch items( banana desert, chefs salad, ruben sandwich and lobster bisque) and dinners items (Just the lobster from surf and turf, lobster deviled eggs…we just mixed the plates up IMG_3081.thumb.jpeg.98b6bd772685172f6e81eb42f184ace0.jpegIMG_2475.thumb.jpeg.01a123c40eb0db076f2d2ed3e97ec6f8.jpegIMG_2474.thumb.jpeg.be1ae3e32000aac921f7b2dc0fa7b6ac.jpegIMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.910a5fa80275268018b0690f627a56e3.jpegIMG_3150.thumb.jpeg.fe8bab46ea91caa6381b0cf453b6fe55.jpegIMG_2699.thumb.jpeg.6181161a7e82e7026732619e28a384ba.jpeg

more sea food mixes at lunch ate serval times and a tuna dish for dinner.It was all very good and served fast and at the right temp.

IMG_2698.thumb.jpeg.7e39c14bf4ba3b22d948074592dd8a54.jpegIMG_3080.thumb.jpeg.5c9e6e201e652f15dea2719dbbbcc72a.jpeg

Edited by cwn
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

On our last cruise, we purchased two additional specialty dinners.  We believe that was a mistake since we found the haven a better choice.

We booked another 2 week cruise and did not book any extra specialities than we the 3 we got. Felt the same way. I am not much of meat eater so they fixed a lunch shrimp dish for me several times for dinner with 24 hours notice. DH had the lamb minus the ham wrapping and an outside half portion of the prime rib which was wonderful! The quality of the haven food was very good.

• Like 1

I’ve been in the Haven 5 times out of our 7 NCL cruises (we switched from other lines and have never looked back)! One thing I loved is that you quickly earned platinum status by sailing in the Haven (at least under the old system). 

Thanks for posting the deviled eggs. I don’t recall seeing them previously, but will try some of your favorites this Sept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Same menu, every sailing, every ship in the fleet. Biggest complaint about the Haven.

Except Gem and Pearl have never updated their lunch menu to include lobster bisque and cobb salad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meglet said:

Except Gem and Pearl have never updated their lunch menu to include lobster bisque and cobb salad.

The Gem and Pearl don't really have a dedicated Haven restaurant, do they?  They offer Haven guests exclusive access to Cagney's or Moderno for breakfast and lunch, but that isn't the same experience as some of the larger ships which do have a separate restaurant in the Haven area, with its own unique menu.

16 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

The Gem and Pearl don't really have a dedicated Haven restaurant, do they?  They offer Haven guests exclusive access to Cagney's or Moderno for breakfast and lunch, but that isn't the same experience as some of the larger ships which do have a separate restaurant in the Haven area, with its own unique menu.

That is true. Dawn and perhaps Jewel don't either.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Same menu, every sailing, every ship in the fleet. Biggest complaint about the Haven.

How many nights have you eaten in the Haven Restaurant?

Edited by BirdTravels

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

It is the same experience because the menus are nearly identical to the Haven menu. 

(I compare it with smaller RCCL ships with out a CK and you eat in their steakhouse. The menus at the "suites restaurant" on RCCL is worse the MDR). 

Edited by BirdTravels

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is the same experience because the menus are nearly identical to the Haven menu. 

(I compare it with smaller RCCL ships with out a CK and you eat in their steakhouse. The menus at the "suites restaurant" on RCCL is worse the MDR). 

But they don't serve dinner in a separate Haven restaurant on the Gem and Pearl, do they?  If not, I'm not sure I would call it the same experience as on the Epic, a Breakaway or B+ ship, or the Pr1ma class ships.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

How many nights have you eaten in the Haven Restaurant?

I have traveled in the Haven a total of 26 days, so I would estimate dinner in a Haven restaurant about 15 or 16 times.

Sorry, didn't notice that your question was directed at @Sailing12Away.  She and her DH probably have about 100 dinners in a Haven restaurant.

Edited by The Traveling Man

Am I remembering this correctly? I recall when we first starting sailing in the Haven (2013 or so) Haven passengers didn’t have to pay gratuities on the beverage package or specialty restaurants. They also included 5 nights of specialty restaurants. For that reason, during that period we only ate in the Haven a few nights each cruise! 

Not to mention how reasonable the prices were then… 

• Like 2