10th May Baltic Cruise - Black Tie On Evening Before Disembarkation?

GSPG

There are 4 formal nights on this two week cruise.

The 21st May is our last port of call re-arranged to be Copenhagen - Evening Casual.

22nd May Sea Day - Evening Casual.

23rd May - Sea Day - Black Tie.

24th May - Disembarkation.

Does this make sense having a black tie on the same evening most passengers are packing their cases ready to put outside their cabin doors before a set time?

I would have thought black tie could have been done on the sea day on the 22nd.

I believe before the itinerary changes the black tie evening was still going to be on the 23rd?

They will almost certainly change the Black Tie night to 22nd. As you say, they are almost always on sea days and never on the final night. From my experience, there are often errors in the pre-cruise information regarding Black Tie nights and they are often different once on board. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

Never say never. While its not logical to have a black tie night on the evening before disembarkation it does sometimes happen. We were caught in this dilemma a few years ago.

I’m surprised at that. I bet that the waiters weren’t happy, as I suspect that compliance was low and a lot of people wouldn’t have used the MDR, on the last night when the waiters might have been expecting some tips!

• Like 1

I'm on this cruise and I expect it to changed to 22nd; indeed I've booked the Beach House on the 23rd on the assumption it will. Doesn't make much difference to me because on a sudden impulse a few weeks ago I booked to stay on for the cruise on the 24th. Have to move cabins, to the one a deck immediately below me so not too far.

• Thanks 1

We are currently travelling on Aurora.  Four black tie nights and only two align with the dates given on our login pre cruise.  Big nuisance as we were relying on the dates given to arrange pre booked dining, so has to make changes.  Not unusual to have black tie dates changed, but personally do not see why they cannot get them right first time around.

Moan over, but having a great time in Cagliari at present.  Do not have to be back on the ship until 9 pm latest, so we have just sauntered down from the old city and hAving a drink in a cafe before searching for a restaurant for a meal.  Lol veblate nights and not many with P&O.

• Like 6

So, we had a scare concerning this as Horizon for what was supposed to be our last black tie night on Wednesday, said it was evening casual. We queried this at reception and they insisted for a while that black tie night was now the last sea day and formal photos would be taken then. 

I asked the photographers as Michelles Dad wanted a photo of him and his children and they insisted that there was no way they could take the photos on the last sea day and have them ready before disembarkation...

But, saying that, I don't believe the photographers are back on all the ships, so that wouldn't matter anyway. 

Ours turned out to be a 'miscommunication'... 

Andy 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Pleased to say that there was only one formal night on Iona this past week. Photographers present. 

I'm glad that suited you, another reason why we don't fancy Iona. 

We had 2 on Britannia, I was surprised and really pleased that the majority of passengers really embraced it, even the youngsters and children. 

It's something we never do at home and really look forward to it. 

Andy 

• Like 6

We love Iona! Our favourite for years was Aurora but we would really miss the additional features now. Having said that, we would still sail on any ship if we fancied a particular itinerary. We can easily dodge the formals! Have to say, there were far fewer elderly guests on Iona. On Queen Vic in January there were so many walking sticks and walkers (including my mother). Just shows how important it is to do your research before booking. There’s something for everyone! 

• Like 3