What's the Carnival bartender's expectation?

mfs2k

12 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I have seen quite a few signed receipts while waiting for a drink with no tip added in.🤷‍♀️

Me too. Especially while getting fancy coffees. 

There is sometimes only one person working behind the counter and they are so busy flying around and don’t have time to grab the signed receipts.

They’re working their tail off, taking a few minutes to customize each coffee and yet no extra tip. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 8:37 PM, Elaine5715 said:

If I have CHEERS, I pay $10.79 per day for gratuities on the package total.  If I pay for each drink individually at Alchemy for my 5 Peach Cosmos, I am paying $12.60 in tips.  

Right... but that in no way is responsive to the post you're replying to.

No one said equal gratuities - just that if you have the drink package,you pay gratuities.

2 hours ago, audcc77 said:

There is sometimes only one person working behind the counter and they are so busy flying around and don’t have time to grab the signed receipts.

They’re working their tail off, taking a few minutes to customize each coffee and yet no extra tip. 🤷‍♀️

I did notice all those tail-less Baristas….it’s a crime😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

Right... but that in no way is responsive to the post you're replying to.

No one said equal gratuities - just that if you have the drink package,you pay gratuities.

What?  Unequal gratuities make for unequal service.  If you know, you know. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, audcc77 said:

And some of those orders are ridiculous...  

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Which is also completely unresponsive.

No one ever said unequal gratuities don't make for unequal service.

The post you responded to said they get gratuities from the drink package, or from individual drinks. The end. It didn't claim they were equal. It didn't claim they led to equal service.

They just said they exist.

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The inherent definition of "gratuities" makes them gratuitous, and thus unequal. 

If you're referring to mandatory service charges, then that's different.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

The inherent definition of "gratuities" makes them gratuitous, and thus unequal. 

If you're referring to mandatory service charges, then that's different.

I was referring to the fact that people who pay per drink tip with an added 18% of the cost of each beverage with that tip going to the server in front of you.  Server who bring drinks under the CHEER program get a share of the tip pool whether they bring you a drink or not.  Who gets better service?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I was referring to the fact that people who pay per drink tip with an added 18% of the cost of each beverage 

No. People who pay per drink pay a service charge of 18% of the cost of each beverage, and people who buy Cheers  pay a service charge of 18% on the package.

Both may or may not tip on their drinks.

We get cheers and get most of our drinks at lido (Red Frog), some at Red Frog Pub (if ship has it) and some at the atrium bar.  We decided a $1 per drink, even if its a water.  We just add it to the receipt, never have cash on board. 

Ive never seen anyone even look at the receipts, they just leave them laying on the bar.  I decided this past trip to look over the print out copy and realized there was a couple of the drinks with no tip line. Now I'm wondering if we should use cash, but I really don't want to have to carry cash around. IDK anyone else notice this? I do not plan to stop leaving the tip, just curious.

15 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Who gets better service?  

I suspect there's a chance if I hand a bartender a $20 bill at a bar I expect to visit frequetly during my cruise, I might get a little better service than he/she might typically give. Maybe not, but that's what I think. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I suspect there's a chance if I hand a bartender a $20 bill at a bar I expect to visit frequetly during my cruise, I might get a little better service than he/she might typically give. Maybe not, but that's what I think. 

You would..they remember your name faster, remember your face, probably remember your drink order if you ordered the same thing more than once..

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

You would..they remember your name faster, remember your face, probably remember your drink order if you ordered the same thing more than once..

That's worth $20 to me on a 10 day cruise. And definitely worth more to me than a picture in front of a life preserver. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It would be mildly useful if they remembered my drink, but I couldn't possibly care less about those other things.

...but then, I tip for the service and not for personal benefit. A beer is a beer, and I don't care if you call me Shirley.

• Haha 3

We have always tipped with cash, I think they are happy with the extra, never had a bad experience with this.  The server even brought us an ice bucket to keep our bottled beer in as were sitting in the sun.  Not a bucket of beers as we had the cheers but a bucket to keep our open beers in and our bottled water to keep them cold. 

• Like 2

I'm still trying to decern why someone would need to shave a few minutes off the amount of time they would wait in line for a cocktail... you're on a ship... where are you in a hurry to get to ?  🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I'm still trying to decern why someone would need to shave a few minutes off the amount of time they would wait in line for a cocktail... you're on a ship... where are you in a hurry to get to ?  🤣

People are under the false assumption that if they throw money around people will fawn over them.

Tip extra if you feel the service you get warrants it, or if you feel the service is sub-par and you need to tip extra to get good service. Each to their own. I don't care. But I don't like the air of superiority that these threads always have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Drinking and sitting on *ss.

I don't particularly mind waiting a few minutes, but I don't know anyone who would choose to do it for fun.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

People are under the false assumption that if they throw money around people will fawn over them.

I wouldn't say it's a false assumption, just that most Carnival passengers aren't throwing around the kind of money that makes it true.

16 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Youve never done a sailaway from New York City I guess.   lol 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, aborgman said:

I wouldn't say it's a false assumption, just that most Carnival passengers aren't throwing around the kind of money that makes it true.

Right, people here genuinely think a $20 bill makes them royalty. It's so silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 1:13 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The only drinks with the 18% are those charged to the S&S individually.  

nit true......all Cheers prepaid packages have an 18% gratuity added.

10 minutes ago, marshalltp said:

Yes, it true that the only drinks with the 18% are those charged to the S&S individually.

While you pay an 18% surcharge for gratuities for the full Cheers package daily price, or $10.80, after 5 drinks, the gratuity percentage declines significantly.  So, if you have 10 drinks, then you are only TIPing half that amount, or 9%.

Drinks Price TIP %
1 $12 90.00%
2 $12 45.00%
3 $12 30.00%
4 $12 22.50%
5 $12 18.00%
6 $12 15.00%
7 $12 12.86%
8 $12 11.25%
9 $12 10.00%
10 $12 9.00%
11 $12 8.18%
12 $12 7.50%
13 $12 6.92%
14 $12 6.43%
15 $12 6.00%
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, marshalltp said:

Even if you had one drink per day, the full amount of the package gratuity goes into the tip pool and your actual server gets the same as everything other server onboard.  If you charge drinks, that 18% goes to the servers who served you.  Big difference. 

13 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Even if you had one drink per day, the full amount of the package gratuity goes into the tip pool and your actual server gets the same as everything other server onboard.  If you charge drinks, that 18% goes to the servers who served you.  Big difference. 

The server gets the same share of every Cheers purchaser onboard, so yes their percentage of gratuity from you personally is quite small - but they're well taken care of by the gratuity system.