Drinks package/policy changes?

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I suddenly noticed that there weren’t any flowers on the tables in the MDR. We then started to list the things that had changed since we started cruising in 2010. The list was:

* no flowers in MDR

* no stem of flower in cabin

* no dish of small boiled sweets in cabin

* no chocolates on pillow

* no turndown

* pay for breakfast in cabin and no hot drinks

* no fresh towels in the evening

* grats included in base price

Do we miss any of these? No, apart from fresh towels in the evening. 

We get around this by asking the cabin steward on the first day if they can leave us 2 sets of clean towels in the morning. It’s never been an issue. We don’t always use them but it’s nice to have them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, posford said:

One wonders what would happen if 5000 Iona passengers turned up with spirits in their luggage.  Long queues I suspect.

Not sure how they will detect if you have spirits in you suitcase, security at Southampton is under the control of Associated British Ports, not P&O and as far as I am aware scanners can’t distinguish between a bottle wine and a bottle of spirits. I guess if the bottle was a distinctive shape they might. 

13 minutes ago, kruzgal said:

We get around this by asking the cabin steward on the first day if they can leave us 2 sets of clean towels in the morning. It’s never been an issue. We don’t always use them but it’s nice to have them.

Yep, our 'Hyacinth' had extra towels every day, along with flannels, extra biscuits, ice, extra tissues, body lotion and God knows what else... 😊

Andy 

• Haha 10

43 minutes ago, posford said:

Yes, turning up for a cruise with no idea of the new rules is hardly fair, don’t you think.

Had it not been for this thread, I would not have known anything about the new rule.

I checked the personaliser yesterday and the 1 litre of spirits was still showing on the Before You Sail / Important to Know / Embarkation and Disembarkation / Luggage / No liquid size limits paragraph. Today it's gone. There's a link to the alcohol policy, but no mention anywhere of the rule change.

We might get an email about it in the next day or two, if they can be bothered. They seem to be more interested in getting us to spend money on trips and dining before we get onboard and use our OBS.

This is the first cruise that I was thinking of taking a bottle of whisky on board, because of the limited choice we found last year on Britannia. There seems to be less choice each time we sail, so I was prepared to see just 1 or 2 options now. Might be 3? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Not sure how they will detect if you have spirits in you suitcase, security at Southampton is under the control of Associated British Ports, not P&O and as far as I am aware scanners can’t distinguish between a bottle wine and a bottle of spirits. I guess if the bottle was a distinctive shape they might. 

I wander if down the line they'll be an announcement that all drinks soft or alcoholic must be carried in your hand luggage?

Edited by Bartender1

2 hours ago, posford said:

Wonder what the legal implications are.

lm travelling at the weekend and have not been informed, by P&O, of any changes to the policy.

Literally none, it’s not a human right to carry alcohol, it’s not really any different to a restaurant not allowing football shirts or petrol stations insisting that motorcycle riders remove their helmets.

1 hour ago, Bartender1 said:

I wander if down the line they'll be an announcement that all drinks soft or alcoholic must be carried in your hand luggage?

but, again, impossible to enforce. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

but, again, impossible to enforce. 

It would be if they were to upgrade the scanners in the same way that airports are doing - although I cannot see that happening as it would be too much cost for too little gain.

2 hours ago, posford said:

Wonder what the legal implications are.

lm travelling at the weekend and have not been informed, by P&O, of any changes to the policy.

The implications are that your alcohol would be confiscated.

There is a clause in the alcohol policy whereby the allowance can be withdrawn at any time.

7 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

It’s a shame that fully grown adults need to have such rules enforced, wouldn’t you agree?

I make no judgement on whether the policy is right or wrong, nor on those who choose to pack a bottle or two within their luggage. As I have said, it makes no odds to me as we have never taken alcohol with us and don’t intend to start. My point was simply that this policy is unenforceable, as suitcases generally aren’t opened, passengers wouldn’t be with them if they were, and even if they can see a bottle via a scanner it could be anything. Port security aren’t looking for bottles, they are looking for terrorist related threats. I stress, I am not advocating rule breaking, merely pointing out that it’s very easy to do so. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I make no judgement on whether the policy is right or wrong, nor on those who choose to pack a bottle or two within their luggage. As I have said, it makes no odds to me as we have never taken alcohol with us and don’t intend to start. My point was simply that this policy is unenforceable, as suitcases generally aren’t opened, passengers wouldn’t be with them if they were, and even if they can see a bottle via a scanner it could be anything. Port security aren’t looking for bottles, they are looking for terrorist related threats. I stress, I am not advocating rule breaking, merely pointing out that it’s very easy to do so. 

Switzerland doesn’t even have ports 🙂

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

So yet another policy P&O have no intention of enforcing.

Let face it, if they are not going remove passengers for some of the behaviours witnessed as described on this thread, then I'm of the opinion anything now goes on P&O.

Shame really as they used to be such a reputable cruiseline.

4 minutes ago, S1971 said:

A lot of us will start to abide by the rules, even if not checked, so already a significant reduction, which is probably their real intention. 

As you have said, the odd bottle won't make a difference. 

Andy 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Let face it, if they are not going remove passengers for some of the behaviours witnessed as described on this thread, then I'm of the opinion anything now goes on P&O.

Shame really as they used to be such a reputable cruiseline.

The fact its difficult to enforce may mean that rather than it being a money driven plan as some are suggesting, the real purpose is indeed to exercise a modicum of control over those passengers who are stepping over the mark.  For instance the parents of obviously drunken teenagers such as those I encountered would be far easier to confront and challenge if the crew know with certainty the alcohol could not have been sourced "legally" onboard.  It could under the current system be very difficult as the offenders are able to make excuses.

I am a great cynic when it comes to huge corporations. Banning the liquer being brought onboard will be a win win for Carnival. They can ride the moral ground, we have to be responsible sellers of booze, H&S etc etc whilst not admitting they also have a problem bubbling up caused by some of their new audience which has to be dealt with.  And of course they will increase profits to boot because the majority of the good guys will still want their drink on the balcony and consequently will buy the bottle from the cruise line for their room.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The fact its difficult to enforce may mean that rather than it being a money driven plan as some are suggesting, the real purpose is indeed to exercise a modicum of control over those passengers who are stepping over the mark.  For instance the parents of obviously drunken teenagers such as those I encountered would be far easier to confront and challenge if the crew know with certainty the alcohol could not have been sourced "legally" onboard.  It could under the current system be very difficult as the offenders are able to make excuses.

I am a great cynic when it comes to huge corporations. Banning the liquer being brought onboard will be a win win for Carnival. They can ride the moral ground, we have to be responsible sellers of booze, H&S etc etc whilst not admitting they also have a problem bubbling up caused by some of their new audience which has to be dealt with.  And of course they will increase profits to boot because the majority of the good guys will still want their drink on the balcony and consequently will buy the bottle from the cruise line for their room.

Like you, I'm a real cynic, I remain of the opinion that this is purely profit lead, however as people have mention they will not check luggage on embarkation day so the whole policy is pointless.

The hypocrisy of the whole change of policy issue and reading stories such as yours has totally changed my opinion of a once "very good" cruiseline.

The policy change doesn't overly impact on me, but the failure and incompetence to deal with incidents such as yours does, P&O will no longer be my comfort blanket as such, perhaps land based holidays for a while with the hope things will change.

Just got to get a Marella one done first in August with friends, hopefully they will hit the right spot, ironically all inclusive with no carry on restrictions to the best of my knowledge!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Just got to get a Marella one done first in August with friends, hopefully they will hit the right spot, ironically all inclusive with no carry on restrictions to the best of my knowledge!!

I hope you have a great cruise. Just to say events such as those I have experienced are very rare and P&O are still a good line to sail with. I've just been unlucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S1971 said:

I remain of the opinion that this is purely profit lead

Ironically the change will likely lead to lower revenue for P&O from me.

Unlike a lot of people, I am pretty varied in the type of cabin I will book, taking into account a whole variety of factor, such as route, time of year - and one factor in the past that has influenced me to book a balcony cabin has been the ability to sit out on it early evening before dinner with a drink.

Now if that ability is restricted (and yes I know that for the moment you can buy a bottle for the cabin - but frankly how long is that going to last before it changes) then as a factor in weighing up whether to book a more expensive balcony then it carries less weight.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, S1971 said:

Like you, I'm a real cynic, I remain of the opinion that this is purely profit lead, however as people have mention they will not check luggage on embarkation day so the whole policy is pointless.

The hypocrisy of the whole change of policy issue and reading stories such as yours has totally changed my opinion of a once "very good" cruiseline.

The policy change doesn't overly impact on me, but the failure and incompetence to deal with incidents such as yours does, P&O will no longer be my comfort blanket as such, perhaps land based holidays for a while with the hope things will change.

As a regular Marella cruiser, you are correct in that you can take on whatever alcohol you wish, at whatever time. 

Whilst we were in the Caribbean in December, we took on spirits, beer and wine and no one batted an eyelid. 

They don't care; while ever you are drinking your own, it saves them money!! 

I'm sure you'll have a great time, we always have. 

Edited by daz1107
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yep, our 'Hyacinth' had extra towels every day, along with flannels, extra biscuits, ice, extra tissues, body lotion and God knows what else... 😊

Andy 

Can you ask Hyacinth if she fancies a nice Princess cruise round the UK, I could do with her along to get me all the goodies. 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Ironically the change will likely lead to lower revenue for P&O from me.

But not overall as somebody else will buy that cabin, so no impact whatsoever on P&O

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S1971 said:

however as people have mention they will not check luggage on embarkation day so the whole policy is pointless.

Not necessarily.

All luggage going onboard is scanned so a lot will depend on the requirements that P&O/Carnival have with the port authorities. It would not be difficult to single out every case that had a large bottle in to then have the passenger go to security and explain what the bottle is. This happens now if there are any suspect items in the case as it has happened to me on more than one occasion - sometimes in the terminal and sometimes onboard the ship.

• Like 2