Vancouver Port/ Canada Place - Uber information

We disembarked from the Explorer on May 1 at the Vancouver cruise port (Canada Place), We reserved an Uber to the airport. Please be aware that Vancouver is very strict where Ubers can pick-up! Our Uber driver was not even allowed to pick us up at the Pan Pacfic Hotel (attached to the cruise port) so we had to walk about a block and a half down the street where Ubers were allowed to pick up. A bit of an adventure, but we made it! FYI, with a nice tip our Uber to the airport was $60.00 USD,

• Thanks 1

Second Nachosdelux's recommendation.  

As to arriving at Vancouver Airport.  Get a taxi.  Last time prior to an Explorer segment was similar to previous times when arriving a day early for a Regent hotel stay.  Plenty of signs showing way to taxi area.  Attendant there to expedite process. That 20-minute transfer to Regent's downtown hotel cost about $45.00 USD. That included the tip.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank You.  We are going to Vancouver in a couple weeks.  Do you think we will have issues getting an Uber at the airport to hotel downtown?

Taxi unions make it challenging to get Ubers at most airports!😅

You can get Ubers at the airport - there's a designated rideshare pickup, just like there's one for cabs and for limos - but as noted already pricing is often significantly worse than a cab due to Surge. The route from airport to pier is fixed rate in cabs both ways these days - CAD$41. Even with a generous 20% tip, nobody should be handing over more than US$37ish - and the only legal additional fee is for stops en route, nothing extra allowed for bags, number of people etc.

In theory a non-surge Uber will run a bit less than this - but they have fees which do not apply to cabs (because they break the law which requires Accessible vehicles, every ride effectively pays a small fine) so even though the per-mile rates are lower short rides around town are usually more expensive by rideshare - it takes over a mile of driving to hit break even, and about 80% of our downtown hotels are within a mile of the pier!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, martincath said:

You can get Ubers at the airport - there's a designated rideshare pickup, just like there's one for cabs and for limos - but as noted already pricing is often significantly worse than a cab due to Surge. The route from airport to pier is fixed rate in cabs both ways these days - CAD$41. Even with a generous 20% tip, nobody should be handing over more than US$37ish - and the only legal additional fee is for stops en route, nothing extra allowed for bags, number of people etc.

This is good info @martincath.  I found the YVR taxi zone fixed fare map here: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/transportation/taxis and it's CDN$37 for the entire downtown area! Very helpful!

Edited by RELS

1 minute ago, RELS said:

This is good info @martincath. Does the fixed rate apply to downtown hotels? Or only to the pier? TaxiFareFinder tells me that from YVR to my hotel on Robson is by the mile and estimates CAD$52.

If I'm going to drag my bags through downtown I might as well take the Skytrain and walk them 6 minutes from City Centre station rather than 20 minutes from Canada Place.

FROM the airport, fixed rates zones to literally everywhere in Vancouver - if your hotel is one of the ones right next to the pier, same price; virtually all other downtown hotels, including all on Robson, are in the $37 zone. Every cab has to have a copy available, but you can peruse in advance on YVRs website (rates should remain in place this summer, as they last went up Oct '23). The fixed rate to go from the pier TO the airport is a relatively recent change, and only applies from the pier itself.

Taxifarefinder is generally pretty accurate in Vancouver outside rush hour - but note that a) it does not factor in fixed fare zones here, and b) the 'sticker price' also includes a 15% assumed tip.

We returned from our cruise last Wednesday. We took a taxi. There were plenty of taxis as we exited with luggage. The porter got the taxi for us. Taxis are cheap and you can pay with credit card. We were staying at hotel for two days and ride was $38 (Canadian) plus tip. Our ride from hotel to airport was $41 (fixed charge) plus tip. A lot easier than calling and waiting for Uber.

2 hours ago, douginct said:

Any need for Canadian $$ ? Will the taxis take US $ or credit cards?

Thanks.

They take credit cards - I have been very pleased with taxi service in Vancouver.

Also note if you need transfer from hotel to Canada Place cruise pier - it may be old school but find it so much easier to have the hotel doorman hail the cab and especially if extra luggage or person they will get you a van and they van:car not supplemental.  I  transferred from Hyatt Regency to Canada Pier yesterday with Vancouver Marathon road closures - taxi cost with tip $15 CAD vs Uber $22 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BaileyMJ said:

They take credit cards - I have been very pleased with taxi service in Vancouver.

Also note if you need transfer from hotel to Canada Place cruise pier - it may be old school but find it so much easier to have the hotel doorman hail the cab and especially if extra luggage or person they will get you a van and they van:car not supplemental.  I  transferred from Hyatt Regency to Canada Pier yesterday with Vancouver Marathon road closures - taxi cost with tip $15 CAD vs Uber $22 

Thanks very much.  We are staying at the Regent hotel (Fairmont) but added a day on our own for much less than Regent charges. So we will need to taxi from airport to hotel and then hotel to pier. 

If Fairmont Vancouver Hotel just love that Grand Dame Hotel - its across from Hyatt Regency great location- you can walk dow a few blocks and watch ship arrive!

Have a wonderful trip!

douginct:  

Have stayed at both Fairmont Vancouver and Hyatt Regency hotels prior to Regent sailings.  

Considering you are staying at Regent's assigned hotel that last pre-cruise night--AND, if mobility is not an issue--AND, weather permitting: 

Advise Regent's representative at the hotel you will be walking the seven blocks (downhill) from hotel to Canada Place cruise terminal.  Your baggage will be retrieved from your hotel room by hotel staff beginning at around 0800H for transport to the ship. It will get there before you do.  

It has always been a pleasant, and hassle-free walk from those hotels to Pacific Place Terminal.  

GOARMY!

Goarmy - thanks.  But with our carryons we will more likely either take a taxi or just use the Regent bus, which we usually prefer not to use. 

Posted (edited)

Boarding in Vancouver for the first time next Wednesday (usually sail Seward to Vancouver), so can someone run me through the boarding at Canada Place?

We will be staying at Sutton Place downtown, so will take a taxi to Canada Place with our luggage to board.  Assume taxi drops off right outside Canada Place. Where do we hand off our luggage? I seem to remember reading something about taking an elevator up to do luggage drop off then going back down to do check in and boarding?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
corrected

2 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Boarding in Vancouver for the first time next Wednesday (usually sail Seward to Vancouver), so can someone run me through the boarding at Canada Place?

We will be staying at Sutton Place downtown, so will take a taxi to Canada Place with our luggage to board.  Assume taxi drops off right outside Canada Place. Where do we hand off our luggage? I seem to remember reading something about taking an elevator up to do luggage drop off then going back down to do check in and boarding?

Thanks for the help!

I found this website particularly helpful : https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

Also, a video I watched recommended using the elevators in the Pan Pacific hotel to get to the luggage drop off.

See you on board!

4 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Thanks for the help!

the taxi should drop you off inside canada place, right at the luggage drop off.  you will walk inside (a short distance) to the check-in counters.

• Like 1