Southampton round trip - Disembark early at another port?

Posted (edited)

I can’t seem to find the piece of information. Was looking with the search feature because I know some of this has been discussed before hoping someone can assist since the results I’m getting aren’t helping.

We are doing a Southampton close loop itinerary, but one of our traveling party is likely going to have to leave early. For example, if they decide to disembark at Barcelona before getting all the way back to Southampton, are there any issues? We know that the rules related to close loop cruises in the US are one thing. In Europe, the same rules don’t quite apply. We would realize that notification to the cruise line would be necessary so that we’re not waiting around in Port for a missing guest. But are there any other considerations, are there other factors since the UK is not part of the EU.

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to share.

Edited by wdwkings

There are two complications

1. Cabotage Laws. These are the EU and UK equivalents of the US Passenger Vessel Services Act, but not identical to those laws. They control who provides passenger travel within a country (I don't know if this treats the EU or the Schengen area or neither as a "country") and are designed to protect ferry and long-distance bus services.

Brexit may not have made any difference, these may be Schengen rules rather than EU rules.

I drove continental coach tours for many years, on a couple of occasions I had passengers who were taken ill and had to stay behind in continental Europe, and clearly there are dispensations for such occasions, but I never had any passenger choosing to do that.

Complicated, and I don't know the ins & outs.

But there are plenty of examples of folk on UK > EU > UK cruises who have disembarked, with permission, at Le Havre on the day before cruise-end in Southampton in order to spend time in Paris and fly home to the US or Aus or wherever from Paris 

2. Permission of the cruise line is required, and best to do that in advance, you can't simply inform them of your decision. 

I know that Princess have allowed those Le Havre disembarkations, have charged a relatively small admin fee, and required them to disembark in the morning together with their luggage.

I have heard of other cruise lines which have allowed that same disembarkation, tho' I don't recall any names. 

But NCL don't allow that disembarkation - there have been plenty of examples of that, and I've heard of the same NCL refusals elsewhere in the world. 

I guess the first thing to do is to ask the permission of the cruise line. If they refuse they might specify the appropriate Cabotage law. 

Or tell the passenger in question to do so - that sounds like the easiest way to stop your brain from frying 😏 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

JB, an alter ego?

‘God Save The King’ is the national and royal anthem for the British territories, Commonwealth realms, and the British Crown Dependencies. The author of the lyrics remains unknown although it is often attributed to the composer John Bull.(1562-1628).

28 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

JB, an alter ego?

‘God Save The King’ is the national and royal anthem for the British territories, Commonwealth realms, and the British Crown Dependencies. The author of the lyrics remains unknown although it is often attributed to the composer John Bull.(1562-1628).

I knew he was old, but I didn't know he was that old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I knew he was old, but I didn't know he was that old!

Having met ‘our’ JB and ‘broken bread’ with him, can state, categorically, that he is not that aged. No further comments…

1 hour ago, Crown Vic said:

Having met ‘our’ JB and ‘broken bread’ with him, can state, categorically, that he is not that aged. No further comments…

But does he look like his passport picture? 😉 I hope not. 🤣

54 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But does he look like his passport picture? 😉 I hope not. 🤣

JB’s posts always include the following epitaph:

Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)

10 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

JB, an alter ego?

Don't be silly - that would make me 462 years old 🤔

I'm only 312 years old, but about 100 years older than your Uncle Sam

Here's my biopic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bull

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Don't be silly - that would make me 462 years old 🤔

I'm only 312 years old, but about 100 years older than your Uncle Sam

Here's my biopic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bull

JB 🙂

JB, being an ex-pat, know all about ‘John Bull’ from my schooling and ‘proper’ upbringing. Not sure about Uncle Sam but he certainly is not mine. Having ‘broken bread’ with you, gotta say that you have aged well. Cheers…

5 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

JB, being an ex-pat, know all about ‘John Bull’ from my schooling and ‘proper’ upbringing. Not sure about Uncle Sam but he certainly is not mine. Having ‘broken bread’ with you, gotta say that you have aged well. Cheers…

Ooops.🙄

Sorry about selling Ontario to your troublesome neighbours 😃

JB 🙂

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ooops.🙄

Sorry about selling Ontario to your troublesome neighbours 😃

JB 🙂

All is forgiven. Next time at the Duke, it’s your shout. Cheers…

On 5/7/2024 at 4:29 AM, John Bull said:

But there are plenty of examples of folk on UK > EU > UK cruises who have disembarked, with permission, at Le Havre on the day before cruise-end in Southampton in order to spend time in Paris and fly home to the US or Aus or wherever from Paris 

JB I was just pondering if this was an option! It seems silly to take the train from Le Havre to Paris then back to Le Havre by 9pm, just to sleep on the ship and disembark 7am in Southampton and train to London. I'd much rather go from Le Havre with my luggage, train to hotel, overnight in Paris then train the next day from Paris to London before flying home to the US. But it looks like you mentioned NCL doesn't allow this, what a bummer!