Viking vs Regent - A Personal Perspective

Buck King

5 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Our church has seen a similar decline in personal garb in recent years. It's not unusual to see people dressed as if they are on their way to the golf course.

On the bright side, the pews are filled, and the overflow viewing area often has a few dozen people. I'd rather see casually dressed people in church, than well polished, empty pews.

Good golf course attire is at least neat.  I'm talking clothing choices like taking things to the dump.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Good golf course attire is at least neat.  I'm talking clothing choices like taking things to the dump.

A present-day dump or a dump behind a 1960 Holiday Inn?   🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have also been comparing the two cruise lines. I know that Regent's cruise only price is higher but it includes so much more. If, on Viking, one is paying for excursions that would have to be added in. Same for gratuities. I don't know if Regents includes gratuities for the local guides on excursions or if that is separate. Then, if you have a couple of drinks in the evenings outside of wine and beer at dinner or want to get a soft drink at the theater, I'm not sure how different the price would be. I know there are many intangibles like how comfortable one feels on the ship etc but if it's just price, am I wrong that they would not be that different in the end?

34 minutes ago, anaky1229 said:

I have also been comparing the two cruise lines. I know that Regent's cruise only price is higher but it includes so much more. If, on Viking, one is paying for excursions that would have to be added in. Same for gratuities. I don't know if Regents includes gratuities for the local guides on excursions or if that is separate. Then, if you have a couple of drinks in the evenings outside of wine and beer at dinner or want to get a soft drink at the theater, I'm not sure how different the price would be. I know there are many intangibles like how comfortable one feels on the ship etc but if it's just price, am I wrong that they would not be that different in the end?

Welcome to CC! If you use the search function, you will find many discussions that attempt to compare pricing between cruise lines. 

In the end, it becomes a highly individualized answer, depending on what matters to you. For example, if you don’t drink, included alcohol at any amount can be viewed as wasted money. Or, if you always tour on your own, the inclusion of multiple included excursions is of no value. 

Further, sales and promotions have a huge effect and are obviously transient. 

To your question, there’s no consistent answer. Just look at the things that matter to you and do your personal price analysis for each cruise. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Welcome to CC! If you use the search function, you will find many discussions that attempt to compare pricing between cruise lines. 

In the end, it becomes a highly individualized answer, depending on what matters to you. For example, if you don’t drink, included alcohol at any amount can be viewed as wasted money. Or, if you always tour on your own, the inclusion of multiple included excursions is of no value. 

Further, sales and promotions have a huge effect and are obviously transient. 

To your question, there’s no consistent answer. Just look at the things that matter to you and do your personal price analysis for each cruise. 🍺🥌

Above what @CurlerRob is saying, when we try to compare cruise lines, rarely do you find the same duration of a cruise with the same ports when you are trying to compare.  It is just never apples to apples.

Viking has never failed us on the sea, and for that matter we stick with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Above what @CurlerRob is saying, when we try to compare cruise lines, rarely do you find the same duration of a cruise with the same ports when you are trying to compare.  It is just never apples to apples.

Selling cruises to affluent, inquisitive people becomes a competitive exercise for the cruise lines.  They want to avoid direct duplication on many routes which reduces the probability of buyers seeing their cruise as a commodity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Viking has never failed us on the sea, and for that matter we stick with them.

The age-old dilemma.  I love (and always get) lunch special #3 but have heard good things about #4.  

• Like 1

I would avoid trying to do a $ for $ comparison and compare pampering things.

Then decide if the difference for a particular pampering item matters to you.

IE:

Bedding

Booze

Excursions

Butler

Catering to your particular food needs: Diabetic, Gluten, Kosher, ...

Etc