Taha'a drift snorkeling option with other sites

Hi all - on our first trip to FP via Windstar in October. I love to snorkel and am a good swimmer, but my husband is not a good swimmer and not a confident snorkeler. I've heard that the drift snorkel is a must do in Taha'a but I don't think it would be good for my husband. Or would it? I've read so many accounts of people getting scraped on coral - that would insure he would never snorkel again! Thanks for any help!

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, debway said:

Hi all - on our first trip to FP via Windstar in October. I love to snorkel and am a good swimmer, but my husband is not a good swimmer and not a confident snorkeler. I've heard that the drift snorkel is a must do in Taha'a but I don't think it would be good for my husband. Or would it? I've read so many accounts of people getting scraped on coral - that would insure he would never snorkel again! Thanks for any help!

Best to take the drift snorkel from Raiatea if possible ... a bit closer than from the motu. Usually 3 passes are allowed. 1st pass is easiest ... then each one a bit tougher. I've done it st least 15 times ... only scraped once and it wasn't my fault as some one stopped in from of me to take s picture ... hard to stop. If you go you want to go towards the front as there is less chance to get 'stopped'. First pass is easy ... and then he can just hang out at the end and play with the colorful fish.

This is what it is like on the first pass 😉

I'm taking the video when things are moving ... my Better Half is taking video when it is stationary at the end.

https://vimeo.com/311007932

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Thank you Tahitianbigkahuna. Your video makes me really really want to do it. My husband doesn't even float so I'm really afraid this will be too shallow for him!

9 minutes ago, debway said:

Thank you Tahitianbigkahuna. Your video makes me really really want to do it. My husband doesn't even float so I'm really afraid this will be too shallow for him!

Leave him behind 😁

We did a drift snorkel on Taha'a and loved it.  Are you close to the coral?  Yes.  Should you just float and enjoy the ride, yes.  I think a very large person may have to be careful.  Just our experience.    Cherie