Ocean Cay - Snorkeling

BF3

How is the snorkeling on Ocean Cay? I've watched a few YouTube videos, and it doesn't appear that there are very many fish there.

I think it depends on where you snorkel. I can tell you we brought our own snorkels and went right by the lighthouse. It was amazing! Literally thousands of fish, it was so cool 🙂 You have to swim out a bit and get out to where it gets a little rocky, but there is for sure lots of interesting things to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lukeca said:

I think it depends on where you snorkel. I can tell you we brought our own snorkels and went right by the lighthouse. It was amazing! Literally thousands of fish, it was so cool 🙂 You have to swim out a bit and get out to where it gets a little rocky, but there is for sure lots of interesting things to see.

^^THIS^^

We had our own too. It was awesome!! 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:43 PM, lukeca said:

How far out did you have to go?  Far enough to need flotation devices?  We are new to snorkeling and were hoping there are places not too far out.  Thank you.

On 5/9/2024 at 7:50 PM, BF3 said:

How is the snorkeling on Ocean Cay? I've watched a few YouTube videos, and it doesn't appear that there are very many fish there.

The big lagoon area isn’t the best for snorkeling.  While it was clear, we only saw a few fish.  

My experience has been that the fish like to hang out in and around the rocks.  I guess so they have places to hide.  The upside of this is that you don’t need to be in water that’s too deep.  So unless you are snorkeling with children, you should have no problem staying in water that isn’t deeper than your neck.  I can’t comment on flotation devices because I don’t know how well you and yours swim; if in doubt, you should wear them.  The ocean can be a dangerous place, even in shallow water.

I would also recommend that you get water shoes so that you don’t cut up your feet while standing on the rocky bottom.

Hope this helps.

Jim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Notch8 said:

My experience has been that the fish like to hang out in and around the rocks.  I guess so they have places to hide.  The upside of this is that you don’t need to be in water that’s too deep.  So unless you are snorkeling with children, you should have no problem staying in water that isn’t deeper than your neck.  I can’t comment on flotation devices because I don’t know how well you and yours swim; if in doubt, you should wear them.  The ocean can be a dangerous place, even in shallow water.

I would also recommend that you get water shoes so that you don’t cut up your feet while standing on the rocky bottom.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Thank you very much, perfect answer!