Live Ovation of the Seas Alaska May 17-24, 2024 with Kmom

31 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I have also been know to only get a full dinner of appetizers in Solarium Bistro. I like those more than the entrees.

Yeah, agree. I can’t get baba ganoush around the house so this is our big chance. 

14 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Quite the difference in seasons to our September cruise....but still spectacular 

DSC_0012.jpeg

Beautiful, as I assume it must be in all its iterations during the sunny season. I suppose the railroad closes and the whole route becomes impassable for a months-long period at some point.

I can hardly stand December and January in Illinois. I don’t even comprehend living in these semi-polar regions in winter.

• Like 4

I had a really long day yesterday so I was barely conscious for Spectra’s Cabaret but WOW! If you like Cirque type shows then make it a point to fit this in. Defied description.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Is the plugged in hot water carafe something you order or is this in every room?  And is this only for Alaska RC cruises or do they have them in the Caribbean? Thx!

I can only answer for Ovation, after being on her several times in Alaska. I think the carafes were always in Quantum class cabins, but last year after we left Sydney and arrived in Honolulu, they started removing them. I’m not sure if there were complaints, but it’s nice to see they are back in the cabins. Maybe somebody that has sailed in other Quantum class ships, in places besides Alaska could answer if they had them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not hungry; I don’t really need more keychains or the looks you get from all the other trivia players when you bogart too many keychains. I got a fairly decent night’s sleep after collapsing exhausted after Spectra’s Cabaret. 

I don’t need to invest any more time worrying about what to say in my job interview. I certainly could obsess about it retroactively but I can’t muster the mental energy to bother. 

I’m going to start the exciting process of packing up dirty laundry. But first s slightly grumbly post about the Royal app and status of certain activities.

• Like 6

So you can book certain things on the app but then can’t cancel on the app. 

Graduate requested sushi. I thought I had booked this from home during a presale but it ain’t there. Only dinner on night 7, when we’ll be in Victoria, was still available. So I booked. Then the graduate learned about Wonderland and requested a change. 

I tried to cancel Izumi and the app said go to GS. I did and they said you can only do that during Izumi open hours. We just call them so we can do it or you can go to Izumi yourself but in any case, only when Izumi is open.

There’s a fee if you cancel within 24 hours so it’s a bit frustrating to have to wait to cancel. 

Anyway I went there last night and cancelled but it’s still showing as an active reservation in the app. 🤬

Separately at Wonderland they talked us into Taste of Royal, a lunch event where you get different courses from different specialty restaurants in one meal. I signed something and they said I would get some follow up info and I have not, nor is anything showing in the app. 🤬

• Like 8

I tried roller skating one day and they said you have to reserve in the app. So I tried and it told me the time to book for all remaining time slots had passed.

In defense of the crew member, when I reported that back they penciled me in.

I should have taken it as a sign. I’m roller disco era but it’s been literally decades. I went around the rink twice. Fell soft twice then hard once and stumbled out to change back into the blessed stability of my Stan Smiths.

I do have travel insurance but don’t really want my cruise ruined by a broken wrist. I thought I would have muscle memory but it’s a bit harder and requires more calf strength and balance than riding a bike.

• Like 8

On 5/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, KmomChicago said:

I don’t know what shatsuka is but it was egg with some spicy salsa like stuff with some slippery unidentified substance (tofu, more eggs, something else?) Worth a taste but probably won’t choose again.

Really like the dal, successfully avoided vast trays of smoked salmon.

I'm just now playing catch up on this. So if someone else has responded to this already, my apologies and please disregard.  Shakshuka is usually eggs baked in a tomato sauce.  It's usually really good and super easy to make. 

• Thanks 1

Went to GS and the Izumi res still was showing so GS agent canceled it even though Izumi is not open right now. Seems like that was harder than it needs to be. Only took 3 conversations over 3 day’s time for me. 😂🙄🤪

Royal Up lunch res apparently never happened though I signed something at Wonderland authorizing it. TTTT I really don’t care whether we do that or not as there’s still way too much food lying around all over this ship either way. I just don’t want charged as a no show for a res I don’t have and for a Chops lunch sized filet I won’t be served.🤔🧐😕🤨

And just now at Two70 Cafe apparently I left too much personal space in the line because a woman walked right in front of me without even realizing a fellow human was likewise waiting to request a breakfast burrito so maybe I am not as fat as I think. I am so tiny people are entirely unaware I occupy space in a queue. Either that or, maybe, rude. Or maybe I looked like I was trying to get my bearings and hadn’t decisively committed to my space in the queue. 🤷‍♀️

See this is all the stuff that I know will occasionally come with the territory. It mostly doesn’t really bother me too much. It’s part of the sitcom that is my life. Maybe more of a dramedy really so I try to frame as many of the scenes over on the funny side as possible. 

• Like 13

I was given messages to set up debark and ignored them so now we’re assigned Group 14, 8:20 am. 

Our flight is at 2pm so I’m in no rush.

I decided to attend Captain’s Corner to Q and A the crew.

• Like 10

I need to also set up Port Valet if possible at this point for our 2 checked bags. Also need to complete Canada customs form today for room attendant to collect tonight.

Also I prefer once a day room cleaning and later (4-7p) as I have been lying around lazily in the mornings in my peaceful solo interior room. 

Lastly my hands are super dried out from all the washy washy. I did bring a little Hyatt tube of lotion I grabbed from the hotel which helps when I remember to use before bedtime.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

a woman walked right in front of me

Whoa, that is like a red cape to a bull where I'm concerned.  I have confronted several line/que cutters in my day, like a said before, won't tolerate it. I would have trotted right around her and said "excuse me this place was already taken".   This is the thing, these creeps expect YOU and I to just roll over after WE have followed edicate and the rules.  If I take my important time to be considerate, why shouldn't they. 😡

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The rest of lunch. This is lentil chili, yummy.IMG_4386.thumb.jpeg.c98dbc4d404240f28b873e8dce4cf330.jpeg

This dessert is Floating Island. @pcrum the island portion is meringue and it was on point or is it en pointe like ballet? The bling all over the top is spun sugar.

IMG_4388.thumb.jpeg.c9e22c95463aadb831c23226c30562e3.jpeg

• Like 16

54 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Whoa, that is like a red cape to a bull where I'm concerned.  I have confronted several line/que cutters in my day, like a said before, won't tolerate it. I would have trotted right around her and said "excuse me this place was already taken".   This is the thing, these creeps expect YOU and I to just roll over after WE have followed edicate and the rules.  If I take my important time to be considerate, why shouldn't they. 😡

She was oblivious I think; I was sort of not looking very purposeful about my position. I was in no hurry. There’s 5k passengers on this ship and things like this are inevitable. But I get your point.

• Like 3

I’m sitting here watching a lecture about bears and salmon and whales and some dumb drinky women about my age or probably ten years younger, mid 40’s, are whisper giggling a lot louder than they realize. 

THAT’S a lot more annoying than dropping one spot in a fast food line.

They couldn’t care less about the program. They are just saving their space for bingo which is next. They’re going through phone pics and they must be really great.

RUDE.

Stupid spoiled kids these days don’t know how to behave in public.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Hey, how about you enjoy lunch in Two70 and then leave all your crap behind so those who come in after for the lecture can enjoy the presence of your mess? I left the drunk gigglers for a quieter spot and this is the reward. 

Maybe this is why people upgrade to Holland America or Princess.

image.jpg

• Like 11

We’re back on Seattle time and once again the phone and Apple Watch are slow to align with the ship. 

While I am thinking about it, these cruises without a lot of school aged kids are deficient in cruising ducks. That or I am not very good at finding them. I think both. I didn’t bring any but somehow I feel entitled to them anyway. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1